• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
image.php

image.php

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-phenom-ii-performance-uplift/6273.html?doc=6273

1237333.jpg

1237334.jpg

1237344.jpg

1237345.jpg

source http://translate.google.com/transla...114006901.shtml&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

1532965_pii_roadmap.jpg

http://diy.pconline.com.cn/cpu/reviews/0901/1532965_1.html

6573_large_AM3%20kris.jpg

am3 board plans http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9599

44697A_Dies_1_large_lowRes.jpg

45nm documents http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15503,00.html

Last edited:
thats gonna be alot of $$$

i'm probally gonna wait and see till all the rest of the options are available, and to see if i'll need a new motherboard

that are some quiet brave OC predictions there, especially for the first release stepping.. Hopefully they are true :)

Cons
The numbering scheme kinda reminds me to something...
Duals come last again, which still feels like they are trying to tell the market what to buy and not caring about their customer's needs.

Pros
Seems like a very good plan to salvage faulty dice which might be crucial for the by that time fabless company.
Also good for us to have such a wide variety of options to choose from, we can raise clockspeed but not the cache but with so many options for cache we can find what suits us the most.

Cons
Duals come last again, which still feels like they are trying to tell the market what to buy and not caring about their customer's needs.

Pros
Seems like a very good plan to salvage faulty dice which might be crucial for the by that time fabless company.
Also good for us to have such a wide variety of options to choose from, we can raise clockspeed but not the cache but with so many options for cache we can find what suits us the most.
Since the first release of the line-up is the X4 server chips it's probably more a matter of efficiency to release desktop X4's than trying to dictate to the market ...

I like the direction AMD is taking things. If the things they're claiming is true, my next server is going to be AMD.

Where the hell are the damn X2 7000 series chips they mention in them slides? They have been promising kuma's release for more than a freaking year and it still hasnt seen the light of day. IMO releasing duals late is stupid stupid stupid cause by the time they get out their they have hoped people would get their x3 and x4 chips, and the only market for the duals is the bottom of the barrel crap where they cant possibly make money with those chips, even if they are denebs with 2 cores cut and the l3 cache cut out. They are a day late and a dollar short, cause by the time the duals come to market people that have been waiting for something from AMD will likely say frack it and get a quad or triple core cause they are tired of waiting.

What got me to this place was trying to find the elusive or non existent 6500+ I saw some marks must have been an engineering sample. I bought my present mobo just BC I was going to buy one of these procs so when I see them at the egg then I will have some faith restored in AMD. They constantly play this game and the faithful build up hope and supplies in prep for the upgrade and then more delays. I do not have a problem with AMD products but the Bull S*** they can keep. SHOW ME THE PRODUCT. Also it doesn't help that overenthusiastic fanboys post marks all over the place. Makes my mouth water and my wallet heavy HMMMM??? gets much heavier I might have to buy something.

Last edited:
Where the hell are the damn X2 7000 series chips they mention in them slides? They have been promising kuma's release for more than a freaking year and it still hasnt seen the light of day. IMO releasing duals late is stupid stupid stupid cause by the time they get out their they have hoped people would get their x3 and x4 chips, and the only market for the duals is the bottom of the barrel crap where they cant possibly make money with those chips, even if they are denebs with 2 cores cut and the l3 cache cut out. They are a day late and a dollar short, cause by the time the duals come to market people that have been waiting for something from AMD will likely say frack it and get a quad or triple core cause they are tired of waiting.

DragoXT, as you can see from the first post, last picture, AMD states that the AMD Athlon X2 6000/7000 will be out this quarter. The 7000 will be here for the AM2+ system. What I am guessing is that they will be releasing as the Phenom II 940 comes out. Think Graphics style marketing when it comes to this release. The big guns come out with show, while the less powerful are put out there, but are not seen by a lot of people.

Now here is the question: Grab the AM2+ system and build a Spider platform with the 940, or wait for AM3 and grab an AM3 compatible 940. The difference between the two should be something to wait for.

Question??? I thought the procs were gonig the same (one proc 2 sockets ie. am2/am2+) only diff would be the socket AM2+/AM3 but the proc would work in both.

edit: so what do you mean am3 compatible 1 proc 2 sockets???

And I do know there will be slight differences in architecture about like am2 and am2+.

Last edited:
Cons

Intel does the exact same thing, and GPUs are released the same way. They make more money on the expensive chips and don't want to canibalize they're high end market with everyone buying the much cheaper dual cores.

Sucks if your looking for low end but I think AMD will have these chips aggresively priced to begin with.

I think you might be onto something.

If your AMD and you really are just cutting the cores/cash down on defective chips to produce x2 and x3 chips wouldn't you rather people still buy the more expensive model? The chip costs them the same to make, it probably costs a little more in fact because on the neutered models they have to do extra work to disable the defective parts. Sure it saves them money by selling these chips anyway (instead of trashing the whole chip) but given the choice wouldn't you think they would rather sell only the more expensive chips so they make more money?

Duals are generally going down a bit in popularity. When people upgrade or buy a new computer just about anyone trying to sell them the parts/PCs is going to be pushing a quad core (more money). Even the folks who know the difference and what it all really means are going more and more to quads simply because they are reaching close to the same speeds as the duals (throwing out the faster in single threaded apps argument) and obviously will perform better in multi threaded apps (which are becoming more popular, especially in areas like gaming).

Combine that with the fact that if these are defective quads then AMD has to wait to stock up enough defective and converted chips from production of the quads to be able to sell them in numbers large enough to meet orders. Those orders would probably be pretty good from OEM PC makers because of the cheap cost that they can get the chips (probably make a deal with AMD to get the chips at little more than manufacturing costs, AMD might give up on profit with them just to cut the losses of not selling them). Also take into account the fact that these are most likely the chips that not only didn't make it as quads but also couldn't make it as X3s, the "yield" on them is probably pretty low. One of the goals in manufacturing CPUs is to have as high a yield as possible, if they are starting them all out as quads and they have a good manufacturing process going, they just might not be getting as many defective chips. This is good for AMD, bad if your hoping for a new cheap dualy or x3. OEMs will see their orders first and what is left will get sold to everyone else (OEMs have contracts which is a lot more money than we can guarantee AMD for cheap chips).

I think given the point of view for AMD these things aren't exactly a priority to get on the consumer market. Maybe get them to OEMs a little faster but for those of us who buy and build they are most likely focusing a little bit more on the quad core lines and the x3s to fall back on.

At least, that is how I am looking at it at this point. I know that is how I would push the products. Try to sell the ones you make the most on and work down the line from there. The bottom of the line that you get the least of (unless they have a horrible manufacturing process) will take the longest to get out and not be that big of a concern.

Anyway, I can't wait until next week to see the new naming scheme for the deneb chips. I do know that I would enjoy seeing some benches and numbers being released. I also really hope that these perform as well as AMD is suggesting. Two reasons for that, first off I just want the chips to perform well because I want to buy one. Secondly I don't think AMD needs the chips that are released to perform worse than what they say they will (won't look too good). They can release low numbers and when official numbers come out the reviews will call them better than expected, "a success", they fall short of those numbers and it will suddenly be reviewed as a "disappointment". AMD needs all of the good press that they can get right now, I am tired of watching the value of my shares go down.

Back