• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Welp, I think it is decided... Gonna finish up Deus Ex Mankind divided, and sell my GPU/CPU/Mobo/RAM. Think I may have a local buyer for it. Then it's just sell my old laptop and I think I'm ready for some serious upgrading.

The Biostar board is most likely off my list because it just doesn't have enough SATA ports. :(

6+1 M.2...not sure if it will suite my needs. (though it does give me incentive to purchase more 8TB Drives :) )

I do like the looks of it

It is nice looking. I'd wait an see who gets one and blows it up... unless they have at least AsRock quality?

Some of the Biostar boards were good for overclocking but none of them were durable enough to survive harder pushing. All my Biostar boards died while benching ... except maybe one with soldered kabini chip and no OC options at all. I won't trust anything from other brands than ASUS or ASRock knowing how bad were most Gigabyte or MSI 990FX boards.

Asus Crosshair VI MSRB supposedly $209

Thats a heck of a lot lower than I imagined.

That's "only" Hero and it looks like Z97/Z170 Hero ... if there will be similar naming to Intel boards then there are still 3-4 higher boards on the way ... but I doubt and I would expect maybe 1-2 in couple of weeks/months.
Still price isn't bad so if it won't be much higher in Poland then it seems interesting. That and X1700 would be my choice right now. That's if I won't see much more than MSRP+local tax.

I never said they couldn't............

I was replying to someone who was questioning the price increase on the better binned chips with XFR which most likely is a useless feature to overclockers.

I also stated 'looking for a value configuration'

While I'd personally be interested in a R5 1600X or 1500 whenever they actually are released, $260 is not a "budget minded" CPU by any means. Only compared to the $500 R7 1800X maybe. Before AMD Ryzen blew the prices up, QUOTE]

You can get a 6C/12T CPU for $229..............that's beast. You can overclock it on a lower chipset board ie B350 (potentially*)

You've picked the most expensive 6 core to then attack them saying they aren't budget minded? Why ignore the practically identical chip that is $40 cheaper.

An intel 4C/8T goes for $300 right? :screwy:
Try reading before you post your little nasty remarks. I didn't pick anything. The $260 CPU, was picked by ATMINSIDE and he tagged it for a budget build. I quoted him, not you. So why are you being so unpleasant about this? You're posting like a offended fan boy, which is not tolerated here.

I go away for two days and so much info to sift through. Question stronger than ever, at what point do I bite? 1700 is still the most tempting on the higher end... pricing doesn't scale down so well compared to that. Then again, maybe I could go lower with a lower end OC mobo...

The 1500 and 1600x look really great for me at their respective price points - not sure if I want to give XFR a fling yet or not.
However, I am looking at the cache distributions on these and am curious on everyone else's input on this.
The 8c chips have 16MB L3 and the 4c chips proportionally have 8MB L3.
The 6c chips, though, still have 16MB. Could that somewhat bigger cache to core ratio be beneficial enough for gaming and other applications to give these extra thought?

Last edited:
The 1500 and 1600x look really great for me at their respective price points - not sure if I want to give XFR a fling yet or not.
However, I am looking at the cache distrobutions on these and am curious on everyone else's input on this.
The 8c chips have 16MB L3 and the 4c chips proportionally have 8MB L3.
The 6c chips, though, still have 16MB. Could that somewhat bigger cache to core ratio be beneficial enough for gaming and other applications to give these extra thought?

The modules are quad core. So to have 6 cores essentially you have only 2 cores shut down in the module, but since the L3 is shared, it's not locked to per core or per dual core.

The second module with 2 cores deactivated will likely have all L3 resources available for computing.

Stuffing the L3 cache with only 2 cores available may or may not benefit anything. This is something we'll wait and see what happens with.

It is very unlikely that we will see core unlocking like we did with Phenom series chips, but it would be a killer awesome feature to have......

Try reading before you post your little nasty remarks. I didn't pick anything. The $260 CPU, was picked by ATMINSIDE and he tagged it for a budget build. I quoted him, not you. So why are you being so unpleasant about this? You're posting like a offended fan boy, which is not tolerated here.

You sounded to me like you were having a go at AMD's pricing when it's very reasonable and competitive.

The very last comment with the emoj was aimed at intel being really expensive for a quad core. But looking back I can see how it looks bad. Sorry bad communication on my part.

The other comments at ATMinside I was just trying to be really clear in my communication as it had been taken the wrong way (or more likely typed badly by me!)

While I'd personally be interested in a R5 1600X or 1500 whenever they actually are released, $260 is not a "budget minded" CPU by any means. Only compared to the $500 R7 1800X maybe. Before AMD Ryzen blew the prices up,

Edit - I have trouble understanding lol. I thought you meant AMD Ryzen had blown prices up.....as in made them really expensive.

Embarrassed.

Last edited:

Generally speaking, there is enough cache for a good speed boost (vs hitting ram) or there isn't. In L3 quantity terms, 4 and 8 cores have the same L3 as a typical i7, but the 6 core would have just over 2.6MB, slightly more than a typical E5 Xeon at 2.5MB/core. Also factor in that AMD's L2 is exclusive of the L3, that could be another 0.5MB per core on top of that.

On a related note, I think I've seen diagrams showing how the cache is connected inside each unit of 4 cores, but I don't recall how they share info between them on >4 core models...

They are fake which is too bad though, they actually look much better then the stocks we used to have :p

I really like the fans on the lower end ones since AMD used to cheap out with those noisy little fans on the non-Wraith coolers.

Back