• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those 1700X scores are really impressive. I mean like, "Dayum! Way to go AMD!"-type impressive.

My favorite part about these is they pretty much confirm that the boost clocks are not in use yet. The performance they show at 4 ghz means the stock chip is running at 3.4 not 3.8, meaning the 300-400 dollar procs are a fair clip better than the 6900k at much reduced price (in this work load, but it seems to be a trend if not true for everything). With boost the 4c will fall just short of the 7700k. If all chips OC to 4 ghz then an OC 4c/8t looks like a 7700k at stock. If the 4 cores go to 4.5 ghz, then they are almost equal performance in an overclockers eyes (but more fun :) ) for probably half the price.

So in the end, it has more cores while costing less. Since most don't use more than 4c/8t, the core argument, in my mind, isn't an argument (unless you use them of course). So, AMD seems to finally match performance and goes under on price..

W00t!

My favorite part about these is they pretty much confirm that the boost clocks are not in use yet. The performance they show at 4 ghz means the stock chip is running at 3.4 not 3.8, meaning the 300-400 dollar procs are a fair clip better than the 6900k at much reduced price (in this work load, but it seems to be a trend if not true for everything). With boost the 4c will fall just short of the 7700k. If all chips OC to 4 ghz then an OC 4c/8t looks like a 7700k at stock. If the 4 cores go to 4.5 ghz, then they are almost equal performance in an overclockers eyes (but more fun :) ) for probably half the price.

You don't know that. All benches should be under the heavy speculation lens.

So in the end, it has more cores while costing less. Since most don't use more than 4c/8t, the core argument, in my mind, isn't an argument (unless you use them of course). So, AMD seems to finally match performance and goes under on price..

W00t!

Nad 1700X@4GHz is faster than the 6950X@3GHz :D

Curiosity, do they turn the Turbo/auto-overclock off in these benchs ? would the 6950X be running at 3ghz stock or 3.5ghz turbo ?

I guess I'll wait until Thursday then pull the trigger on the supporting parts (case, AIO, RAM, Fans, etc) so I can get that all assembled over the 3 day weekend prior to the mobos & CPUs being released.

Yes but there would still be an "inflation" of the benchs if some of the cores decided to up to 3.1ghz-3.5ghz even for a few seconds. If so the numbers aren't exactly trustworthy ?

Yes but there would still be an "inflation" of the benchs if some of the cores decided to up to 3.1ghz-3.5ghz even for a few seconds. If so the numbers aren't exactly trustworthy ?

That physics test won't let you hit turbo, it loads 100% across all available cores.

Side note: anyone know how XFR will handle 'better cooling'? Is it still going to behave as turbo boost does, or is it deeper. I haven't dived deep into their announcement from CES, but I do recall seeing stuff about auto overclocking.

Side note: anyone know how XFR will handle 'better cooling'? Is it still going to behave as turbo boost does, or is it deeper. I haven't dived deep into their announcement from CES, but I do recall seeing stuff about auto overclocking.

Read into the actual tech, it's much deeper than normal turbo.

So we are looking at more like a base clock adjustment, IE all cores can be boosted at a given time?

I need to stop looking into ryzen so much and spend more time working on me EE classes [emoji14]

That is my understanding, but we don't have a 100% detailed description yet.

So we are looking at more like a base clock adjustment, IE all cores can be boosted at a given time?

I need to stop looking into ryzen so much and spend more time working on me EE classes [emoji14]

From my understanding on the Turbo vs Boost is Turbo is a set clock rate at which some or all cores will reach.

The "Boost" is self enabled (probably on the higher end boards) determined by the cooling used. The Cpu/Board will automatically "overclock" based on temps.

Boost may not be the actual term btw. Self adaptive might fit the bill better.

Additionally, AMD introduced SenseMI, a set of sensing, adapting, and learning technologies built into the AMD Ryzen™ processor that combine with multiple other advances in architectural, platform, efficiency, and processing technology to address the demanding needs of gamers and enthusiast PC users.

Sensing, adapting and learning tech built right in!

Back