• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh snap here's what I was looking for.

Extended Frequency Range

Automatic extra performance boost for enthusiasts with premium systems and processor cooling.
Permits frequencies above and beyond ordinary Precision Boost limits
Clockspeed scales with cooling solution: air, water, and LN2
Fully automated; no user intervention required

From here yay.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovation...md.com_zen&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=301

I want to additionally comment that there is no mention of software beyond the bios level, so this seems to imply that AMD OverDrive for example, is not used for this Extended Frequency Range (EFR for short) overclocking.

That sounds pretty close to android governors. I wonder if there is a correlation?

If there is, governors mus tbe supported by the kernel and the firmware. Well, of you want more than the basic ones that is. I think that would be a cool direction for OC to go in: custom bios and custom kernel to get the best performance :)

This is a question for the OCers on here.
1) When using Dice, would the 1700x be a better chose?
2) We are still not sure of the IMC, would DDR4 3200 14-14-14-34 still be good enough??? This memory (Trident Z) was recommended by Woomack for my i7-6700k.
3) Will purchase the Crosshair VI or an Asrock depending on availability.

Thank you for your help :)

1. Choice? Maybe.. you talking from a price standpoint or................? I mean, price is all you have to go on now.. nobody, in public, has any idea how these respond under cold.. not sure what you are really asking here...(also may be best asking in its own thread, not the Ryzen rumor thread).
2. We are still not sure of the IMC... so how can anyone answer that? It depends on how the IMC is, really (among other things).
3. Ok...

MM - SLow your roll. Its clear nobody knows a thing right now and answering these questions with any sort of certainty now is an exercise in futility.

This is a question for the OCers on here.
1) When using Dice, would the 1700x be a better chose?
2) We are still not sure of the IMC, would DDR4 3200 14-14-14-34 still be good enough??? This memory (Trident Z) was recommended by Woomack for my i7-6700k.
3) Will purchase the Crosshair VI or an Asrock depending on availability.

Thank you for your help :)

The answer to the ultimate question is

Some of the Biostar boards were good for overclocking but none of them were durable enough to survive harder pushing. All my Biostar boards died while benching ... except maybe one with soldered kabini chip and no OC options at all. I won't trust anything from other brands than ASUS or ASRock knowing how bad were most Gigabyte or MSI 990FX boards.

How about a DFI, FIC, or a EPOX motherboard??? This is of course if you can find one with a Z370 chipset :)

Gigabyte is known for it's UD series. With the 990FX they had the UD3, UD5, and the UD7. Could they release a UD9 like they did for Intel???
The Asus CHVI-H has a 8+4 VRM arrangement. Does DDR4 need a 4 phase VRM's???

How about a DFI, FIC, or a EPOX motherboard??? This is of course if you can find one with a Z370 chipset :)

Gigabyte is known for it's UD series. With the 990FX they had the UD3, UD5, and the UD7. Could they release a UD9 like they did for Intel???
The Asus CHVI-H has a 8+4 VRM arrangement. Does DDR4 need a 4 phase VRM's???

Go for Albatron imo

Automation inside the CPU? Holy cow, you guys figured it out! You figured out what all of us computer engineers are trying to do!

But I digress...

The sense network that AMD put in is something pretty new and very interesting to me. Its all controlled by a neural network system, and there is little information on the architecture. At a certain point the CPU will be so complicated that even humans will not be able to control all the settings inside, on a human level ability. Meaning that we will rely on self learning robots to do simple tasks like power control and frequency control. Most likely this is used to help with power and being aware of the total temperature of the CPU. Temp sensors were only located in sectors to create coverage. Now they are being implemented as if they are tiny IoTs. The benefits will speak for themselves in daily users. For us Overclockers, well lets hope we have a bit of an override setting. But my bet is that this will affect nothing. AMD is very aware of their market, and their designers have catered toward all parts of the spectrum with little bias.

MM ..... nobody can give you a true answer for your questions right now ....... at least till people get their hands on one to see what is going on under the hood. Once the NDR is lifted by AMD maybe there will be some answers kicking around.

Automation inside the CPU? Holy cow, you guys figured it out! You figured out what all of us computer engineers are trying to do!

But I digress...

Wow. Where does this statement come from. Take a pop guess at something that was read, because of the little information given and this is response a non-engineer gets?

Digress?

Answer was 42 remember? They just forgot the decimal (4.2ghz) XD'

Pretty sure that's not going to happen since these makers haven't been in the consumer mobo market for some time. At least to my knowledge

March 2nd release date, Feb 28th review release.

Wccftech confirmed

Back