• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec or Fortron - Help me decide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The warranty is one year. I'll be stunned if you ever need to use it ;)

I have yet to see any AX500-A fail actually... there have been a couple false alarms, but I don't remember seeing a single one die yet. They're getting popular too. As far as #2 goes, Intel dropped the -5v from the ATX spec, so the AX500-A doesn't have it. The booster will work, but without the display. If I was OCZ, I would be redesigning it to work with Intel's spec, as I am sure Intel won't change it readily. Not sure about the DFI - should work, but don't quote me on it.

The AX500-A is fully compliant with the ATX 12V V2.0 specification. This specification entails no -5V line. I don't recommend buying non-V2.0 compliant power supplies for high power applications at this juncture. Their dual 12V rails seems to be no luxury given the levels that 12V consumption has reached.

As the Neopower 480 is also V2.0 compliant, it has no -5V line as well. I don't know if your mb lights will or will not work in the absence of the -5V, but to be honest I couldn't see that as a functional consideration. I find if the machine ever won't work properly you get either a completely erroneous error code, or a spurious code not contained in the code definition table.

Just ordered it from electroseller.com since newegg was OOS :clap:. This is the last component I needed for my new setup so now I just have to wait for everything to show up :rolleyes:.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Back