• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone try this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

i was wondering if anyone who has made their own block has tried this:

on the copper top, put fins like a regular HS with a small fan. Im not talking nearly the same size, maybe half the height, with a small quiet fan on them. wondering if this would drop temps a couple degrees. so its like watercooling a HSF block.

Mike

I am sure something like that would help temps, but it defeats the purpose of water cooling which is usually to get rid of fans.

im thinking with a watercooling setup, whatever fans you are loosing on the graphics card/cpu/nb, u are making up for in the heatercore no?

It is my understanding (still getting all the stuff for my setup) that you lose smaller noisier fans (sometimes as many as 5 80mm fans depending on what case) for a smaller number of large fans (usually 2 120mm fans). I mean I completely agree that if you can get a fan on a waterblock then by all means try it, and if it cools it then great. But I really think companies that make waterblocks, realize that most enthusiasts don't like noise. They (the computer user) want a quieter solution so the companies just eleminate as many fans as possible in a system. And I would actually think that there shouldnt be that much heat radiating out of the top of the block anyway since blocks are rarely ever solid. And also with the fact that blocks have the 2 or 3 barbs on the top there really isnt an easy way to use a fan anywhere. About the only way I can see using a fan like you are decribing is taking something like the areocool deep impact cooler and putting a waterblock ontop of that and then having the side 80mm fans blowing through the fins/heatpipes. This would make the heatsink insanely heavy as well as probably way too tall to be practical...as well as the fact that I dont even know what kind of performance gain you would even get. Just my thoughts.

i was goin for quite.....for best cooling.....so a combo of the both i thought? jsut bored here at work...wishing i knew how to make these things :)

Waterblocks are designed to get heat away from the core of the CPU as quickly as possible, not dissipate it across the whole block. That's why blocks like the WW, Cascade, and RBX have fins (or cups) right over the CPU area. Waterblocks don't dissipate heat over the entire block, or they would suck.

Two options with the fan thing. It would either do absolutely nothing, or you would have to change the waterblock design to allow heat to dissipate through the fins. If you did the second, the waterblock would become LESS effective, not more effective.

murdok5 said:

on the copper top, put fins like a regular HS with a small fan. Im not talking nearly the same size, maybe half the height, with a small quiet fan on them. wondering if this would drop temps a couple degrees. so its like watercooling a HSF block.

Mike

Something like this was done, by CPUFX, but they are out of biz.
This wouldn't be very effective, but would be good if ur pump would ever die on you. The thing is, you usually need an Oring or adhesive inbetween the top/bottom of a waterblock which isn't very effective at transferring heat. The water in the block does transfer heat, it too isn't very effective, but with the convection process it is. So essentially, you would be cooling the top of the water, and since the surface area being cooled is really small (compared ot say.. a radiator/heatercore) It would possible make a small, but not likly noticible improvement to your temps. Besides that, it would be kind of hard to place the fittings with a heatsink on it.

my vote is for no difference at all. :). As stated, in an efficient waterblock design the top portion of the block should never rise above the temps in your case. sort of impossible to cool it below that temp without some active cooling (pelt or something).

J.

Can it be something like using heatpipes. Have the base with heatpipes, going up to a heatsink with a fan, like the Hyper6 Design, then cool the base again with water

The block Korndog mentioned:

topwithfans.JPG

CpuFX Reactor waterblock - $89.99

murdok5 said:

Mike

at best it won't help - at worst it might raise temps.....
a well sighted rad with decent fans may well cool the water to a temp below the case air (but above ambient of course) - so you might be warming the block up rather than cooling it down :(

how warm does your waterblock get? not very warm right? your water only runs .5C-1C above ambient temp, and it's the job of the heatercore to cool it down. therefore if you're trying to cool the water down with this heatsink/fan, you won't be doing anything, and if you're trying to cool the block down, well the top of the block is the same temperature as the water, which is to say, basically ambient.

p.s. if your water is running higher than ~1C above ambient, maybe a new heatercore, fan, or shroud is in order

LtBlue14 didn't exactly say it, but saying "if your water is running higher than ~1C above ambient, maybe a new heatercore, fan, or shroud is in order" implies it. Why would he choose 1C as a cut-off if he hadn't already met that standard?

LtBlue14 said:
how warm does your waterblock get? not very warm right? your water only runs .5C-1C above ambient temp, and it's the job of the heatercore to cool it down. therefore if you're trying to cool the water down with this heatsink/fan, you won't be doing anything, and if you're trying to cool the block down, well the top of the block is the same temperature as the water, which is to say, basically ambient.

p.s. if your water is running higher than ~1C above ambient, maybe a new heatercore, fan, or shroud is in order

well, possibly more then that.
here is my setup results with a pretty precise thermometer.
cpu-water-ambient.gif
My Water is ~5C higher at full load then ambient after 20min, and it keeps that. Thats pretty significiant, but in most cases, case temps are probably going to be 2-5c higher then ambient anyways.

Back