• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Screen/ No Display AMD FX 8120 HIS Radeon 6850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bidgbob

Registered
Hey guys, I'm Bidgbob as you can seem im fairly new however i've been coming to this forum time and again to look up several problems and have never decided to sign up until now.
However now im having a serious issue and its becoming ridiculous, I have ordered my computer and built it up myself without and outside help my current specs are as follows:

MOBO > Msi 760GM-P23 FX Bios version: 17.9
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX 8120 Eight Core @ 3.20 Ghz With Stock AMD Heatsing and fan cooler
MEMORY > Rendition 4GB 240-PIN DDR3 PC3 - 10600 UDI
Generic HYU3132GB 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ DIMM 240-PIN
POWER SUPPLY > Casecom ATX 500W PSU
VIDEO CARD >(Single) HIS ATI Radeon 6850HD 1GB Video Card
HDDs > (Two) SATA2 SAMSUNG HD400LD
SATA2 WDC WD2500AAJS
BURNERS > DVD/CD RW SAMSUNG TS-H653
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Generic Dell Mouse/Keyboard Combo, Edimax 150Mbs-Un wireless receiver
O/S > Windows 7 Ultimate

So here's the problem:
My processor seems to give up on me all the time my computer seems to either black screen or stop transmitting a display to my monitors which are using DVI-I and DVI-D the computer starts to run at a constant state and doesn't seems to show on the monitors even if i try to master power down the computer by holding the power button it keeps on running so I have to force it off at the wall. This can happen from simple tasks such as producing youtube videos for my channel on Power Director 10 to playing MW3 (although it runs fine for Diablo 3) I will post up some pictures below I dont know if you guys can take any information from it that i cant because im not that up to date on the BIOS as all my parts are fresh out the box except a second hand CPU...

Thanks I look forward to a response eagerly,
Bidgbob :drool::salute:

PS: I have included pictures of pretty much anything that seemed of importance aha i need this problem gone ASAP i have a youtube channel to run hahaha Thanks in advance!

:comp:

Attachments

• Pics.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
POWER SUPPLY > Casecom ATX 500W PSU = That is n0t enough information. There should be an actual part number or the like. Even a sticker on the side that shows rated amps of the various output voltages.

Reason I mention is that power supply has very poor ratings when looked up in g00gle.

I have included a picture of the sticker on the side in the pics.zip file i know the power supply was literally just so that i can get everything powered up, do you think this could be a real concern for the pc stability?

do you think this could be a real concern for the pc stability?

Yes I do. What is the first thing that must happen before the computer comes up to do work? Yes, turn the power on and it needs to be good, clean adequete power.

I am going to add this Edit to this post. You need to 'attach' each picture to the forum itself instead of putting them in zips. Most of us don't know you from Adam's house cat and we do not want to download a virus/trojan from somewhere we are unsure of. It is just sensible. You may not even know what trojan is playing on your rig and not intend anything but it can still happen. End Edit.

Last edited:
True but the system runs fine and it has done for 3 months prior to me replacing my athlon with the 8120 i know theyre a big jump but still... what would you suggest for a decent power supply in the uk for a low price as im running slim on cash at the moment haha, also do you really think this could be the cause of my problem?

Thanks for the rapid response btw and i love the picture hahaha im an AMD fan myself :L

Not sure where bios 17.9 came from... For your CPU, you need bios 7641vH2.zip accordign to the website: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P23--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

That said, that PSU is likely trash. To confirm its the PSU that is the problem, DL and install Prime95 and run the Torture test, small FFT to put a 100% load on the CPU and see if it shuts down. BEFORE you start that testing, open up Coretemp and make sure its not hitting high temps to shutdown/throttle the CPU.

2nd
its usually a bad idea to mix memmory
i am building an 8150 using a (pc power and cooling)950 watt psu
corsair, seasonic,antec are some good psu,s

Thanks ive been dying to figure this out i kinda new my PSU was trash tbf and i didnt think about posting the pics in the forum i can assure you that there sint a trojan or any kind of damaging virus on my computer because its a frsh install as of yesterday and the only things ive downloaded and installed are of microsoft or Blizzard.net origin haha but still i get where your coming from, i can probably tell you now without running the torture test that it will close down before hitting 100% Load it closes down producing youtube videos ill be investing in a new power supply in about 2 weeks thanks to payday :bday: but ill run the tests and post the specs if it actually survives cooling isnt a problem for me i know its not i run at 73* GPU and 53* at full load or as high load as i can get it without a black screen, anyways,
Thanks guys for the rapid response and solution this problems been plaguing me hardcore since i doused the extra £120 for a new PSU i usually buy my parts from ebuyer.co.uk if you can help me that would be great! thanks anyway,

Bidgbob

I ran the small FFT's test and within just over a second the screen hit black and i couldnt even gain results ugh nightmare hahaha

BTW can i get an opinion on this Corsair 600W CX Series V2: http://www.ebuyer.com/269259-corsair-600w-cx-series-v2-psu-6x-sata-2x-pci-e-cmpsu-600cxv2uk

Last edited:
This power supply is the one I see and like the best for its' specs after looking at all three pages of 500 to 600 watt power supplies at your link.

OCZ ZT Series 550W Modular PSU

- 550W Continuous Power
- 85% Efficiency
- Ultra Quiet 140mm ball-bearing fan
- Active PFC
- 6x SATA and 2x PCI-E Connectors

The first one (corsair CX 600) at your link was 600watt at good price but no 6+2 PCIe connector so less 'newer' video cards will work. It was a good price but I would not limit myself with its' connectors.

Then I looked at the two OCZ supplies in a row and they both had dual +12V rails and that for me disqualified them.

Looked at a few more on that first page and various "did not haves" knocked them out.

Then I got to page #2 and found that Ocz psu linked above.

45 amp +12V rail = more than any of the other supplies.

2x 6+2 pin PCIe connectors = more video card compatibility.

3.0 amp +5V standbye rail voltage which is good for getting out of sleep and other items powered from Usb at times.

A modular power supply so you can use only the leads that are really needed to cut down on cable clutter.

This Ocz supply just has the goodies and specs that move me since I generally run 850 watt supplies or greater. It takes a lot to move me when it comes to downsizing my power supplies.

OCZ or Corsair?

Built with them, so first hand exp. :)

I like your selection due to it being modular!

EarthD, are you on about the OCZ or the Corsair, tbf i nevwer thought of going for a modular as I never thought that they would run stable due to loose connections or the such but tbh when it comes to PSU's id rather take your guys word on it, im good for graphics and processors i can tell the right from the wrong their but when it comes to PSU's i do struggle

Thanks for the great help!

Im guessing you guys would go for the OCZ?

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with modular PSU's and its connections. :)

That OCZ, at least the 750W model, got rave reviews, its modular as well vs the CX600, so I would go for that one. Either way you cant go wrong though.

which one?

so which one would you go for the corsair or the OCZ? also I havent really looked on dealer specific websites as I know you guys are mostly in the US and look at newegg for your parts (id love newegg UK that would be sweeeeeet!) but is it worth taking a look at dealer webpages such as corsair or should i stick for resellers for PSU's?

Dealer websites that 'under-sell' their retailers don't keep retailers for long.

I gave my reasons for going with the Ocz that was listed at your linked reseller. "EarthDog" agreed in principle because the Ocz was modular and the CX600 was not modular.

Now after that you are going to have to make your own choice. I can only say this...the power supply is the heart and soul of a good computer configuration. Bad power for reasons of money almost always brings some type of issue and especially so if pushed.

overclocking?

so what do you reckon i can expect from the OCZ overclocking wise? my last overclock was an AMD Athlon X2 250 regor stock @ 3.1Ghz overclocked to 4.2Ghz, can i aim for about the same area? maybe even a bit more?

Thanks for all your help btw its much appreciated:clap:

Back