• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Screen/ No Display AMD FX 8120 HIS Radeon 6850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so what do you think? simple reformat job or do you think it could be some thing bigger like a hardware problem? see now im craping myself incase i have to bust out another £120 for a new processor :/

See if you can zip that .dmp file that you were viewing with BSV and upload it to the forum. I think can download it from there and look at in the manner I am used/accustomed to and see if I am seeing what it looks like.

At this time, I would not speculate what is the total breadth of your issue. But I would not be buying a cpu but a motherboard comes more rapidly to mind. To top that off AMD would warranty a cpu if bought new.

That's he problem CPU was bought second hand therefore I don't know what the old user did with it it's still got all its parts in the correct packaging I bought it from a legit reseller, I will have to wait until I'm home now because I'm at work but sure I'll zip you the BSV file. So as the information is now would you say it's more likely to a be a MB issue than a CPU issue? As an educated guess?

Thanks,
Bidgbob :)

would you say it's more likely to a be a MB issue than a CPU issue? As an educated guess? = Doubt I would even guess. But since you say that you bought from a legit reseller, I might put my original cpu back in and see if everything comes back to what you felt was normal. If so, I likely would see if the seller had warranty that would leave me with a different cpu OR find someone with a good 9xx mobo made for the FX cpu and see if the cpu acted as it should. Of course if the cpu acts as it should on a board truly made for it...well there is your answer.

Yea Iget you sadly none of my mates have one haha not that I know of anyway aha, yea I bought it from CEX it does say at the bottom of the page that there is a year warranty when you buy it, so if it was you, would you buy a MB or a new PSU first
Thanks,
Bidgbob :)

PS: Ive just got back from work and added the .dmp as a zip folder

Attachments

• 060512-24944-01.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Let me remind you of this post...
Not sure where bios 17.9 came from... For your CPU, you need bios 7641vH2.zip accordign to the website: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P23--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

That said, that PSU is likely trash. To confirm its the PSU that is the problem, DL and install Prime95 and run the Torture test, small FFT to put a 100% load on the CPU and see if it shuts down. BEFORE you start that testing, open up Coretemp and make sure its not hitting high temps to shutdown/throttle the CPU.
... as of this point, we have been all over the map, ADHD style, in trying to figure this thing out. Can you please confirm, with CPUz screenshot of the mainboard tab, that you have the proper bios installed for your system so the board you are using actually supports the CPU you have in it (sorry if that point was resolved already)?

Thanks!

Funny thing I have ADHD so I get where your coming from hahah, anyways erm sure here ya go. It genuinly goes to about 2 seconds into torture test and small FFTs and just shuts off completely I have to manually reboot the system via the power switch on the wall ARGH its so frustrating i planned to start a MW3 series on my youtube :L
anyway here ya go I just took the pic 2 seconds ago, hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Bidgbob

PS: I just wanna say that i am genuinly grateful of the help that i am receiving from you guys, it actually resembles a glimmer of hope for me :L

Attachments

• Mainboard.bmp
    472.9 KB · Views: 47
Ok.. I see where you got the 17.x bios # now.. apparently the files available at the website to DL are zipped and extract. The site doesnt mention, in the CPU compatibility chart anyway (does in the actual bios DL area), the versions...my bad!

Link to BIOS page: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P23--FX-.html#/?div=BIOS

Anyhoo, it 'should' work with the bios you have in it, but for giggles, update to the newest one and see if that helps out. Doubtful, but worth a try

as im quite crap with the BIOS situation i assume when you say extract you mean run on windows or am i doin this crap wrong i friggin hate BIOS updatin hahaha

Never owned an AMD MSI board. I would read your manual to find out how to flash your bios.

The MSI website may also have directions. Usually, there are a couple or three ways you can do it. The safest is with an DOS self-booting USB stick or floppy (if the files will fit on a floppy). But there are not many folks left around who are comfortable with using DOS syntax. I have also done it with Windows utilities and had no problems.

ive extracted the BIOS update to a USB drive im guessing that i can just go to BIOS and then use the feature
'm-Flash
use this menu to read/ flash the BioS from uSB media device.'
well thats what the manual says

Your USB stick MAY need to be formatted as FAT32... again, read the manual to be sure (or I guess try it and see if it works!).

ive extracted the BIOS update to a USB drive im guessing that i can just go to BIOS and then use the feature
'm-Flash
use this menu to read/ flash the BioS from uSB media device.'
well thats what the manual says

I think that's correct and how I did it recently on my Asus board. Makes sense. When it's done flashing and your reboot, go right into bios before going into Windows. Set your time, date and any other customizations and then go into Windows.

yep as we thought trents :) that worked perfectly even gave me the option to save a backup of the old BIOS just in case just before it flashed it, which is always nice :) although at one point i did think my computer wasnt doing anything so i was like AAAARGH but still haha worked perfectly havent tried anything yet what shall i try first prime95? or run a program like MW3?

Hm Funny Thing Prime 95 insists on only running 4 workers for the Torture Tests Small FFTs now, and its actually working o.0 wtf?! might go ahead and try MW3 in a minute

Btw using SpeedFan(as i find it picks up more sensors than other programs) it comes up with only 4 CPU loads???? something isnt right cus this is a 8core CPU haha

Last edited:
ARE YOU MENTAL WHAT THE ACTUAL FISH!!!!! MW3 works perfectly now! oh my god you people make me want relations with google chrome atm! but stil its only using 4 cores hmmmm.... o.0

BTW THANK YOU YOU SEXY MOFOS!!!!!
B
:)
PS: I love you heheheheh

So heres the thing after rebooting my computer it wierdly returned to apparently actually being an 8 core however it is now once again unstable? anyone got any ideas? i know this might sound stupid but a faulty core?

Last edited:
Okay since as "E_D" has said we have wollered all over the place with this thread and the other and have had more problems than cats have lives...I did hesitate dramatically to mention that certain ''steam'' games had had to have bios mods to get some of the "steam" stuff to run. Key was if the bios was in DEC of 2011 or later then those bioses had a fix for ''steam'' games that had had issues with FX-series. There are almost too too many things to keep in mind with this dang weak Bulldozer thing. (Not all mobo companies made the bios mods to older boards. Why they have not is open to your own thoughts,.)

Now go and capture the CPU button of CPUz and see if it lists 4 cores and 8 threads or not. I don't have BD and don't plan to...waiting on PD. I only guess that it may show 4 cores and 8 threads with the new core parking scheme put into the bioses to let "steam'' run okay.

will do sir will edit the post once its done! btw prime 95 just drops dead now even if i onmly run 4 workers on it it still BSOD's after a few seconds :/

erm so yea just checked CPU-Z the core speed is really low and it shows 8 cores 8 threads take a look:

Attachments

• new CPU.bmp
    476.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
After the bios flash all the 'green stuff' was RE-enabled. As I was saying in your other thread about a new mobo, that one could actually leave the overclocking to another day and let the cpu up its' speed under load and lower its' speed and voltage needs as it sees fit.

Part of the problem was all the year long or more hype that AMD FX was going to kick Intels rear. It did not happen and people have tried so hard for that magick bigA overclock to try and catchup and the hype was that it was no problem to run 5.0Ghz with FX and that has been BS from the start.

So the FX CPU upping speeds and lowering speeds is not a negative to me in day to day use. WHEN I was benching all the time...yes I put it ON KILL during all the benching. But then I did take it back down. ALL my Intel rigs throttle down when not in heavy use. Why in hale would I have it trying to run 4.0Ghz when I don't need it but maybe 15% of the time. Not logical to me...but we try to help those overclock their steam iron if we know how and they ask. Look at the name of the forum.

Okay I have no idea why P95 no longer or make that is not showing but 4 cores. CPUz is showing 8 and 8. It might be that the later bioses that fix steam and core parking issues has thrown P95 a curve. No idea. Not running one. Maybe there will be others that have seen such.

Okay P95 freezes but does not crash. That can be not enough Vcore. That can still be a symptom of the weak power supply. We have a reprieve but maybe not a full cure.

Back