• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can we close the lid now? A64 vs AXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buhammot

Well, with all the flaming and debate that some users are having a hard time dealing with, I would like to thank jlin453 for posting their sandra benches at 2.78ghz with their XP-M. Their post can be found at the following address. (Older version of sandra, as suggested by AMD-Me)

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2503132&postcount=96

And on my behalf, I am runnin the speed in my sig, A64 2800+ @ 2.44ghz stock voltage. Being that the video cards are not comparable, no 3dmark scores will be shown here. Strictly CPU bench. If anyone knows of another bench, I will request they do it also, and I will post my results. My bench can be found at the following address.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/buhammot/Proof.jpg

AMD-Me's Results, using same version of sandra.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3142737&postcount=16

Edited Picture to show a direct comparison to AMD-Me's Results.

Last edited:
That athlon xp bench is rigged. The fsb bandwidth is so low! I think that if the fsb was more like 260+ the score would be a lot better. Either way, I thought everyone already knew that the A64 beats out the AXP by a lot?

I am just using his benches as something to compare it to. If someone would like to post their bench, feel free, and i will prolly even put it at the front too. We can get more accurate figures this way, rather than well so and so said...

I got about 16k in 3dmark01 with my 9700np with my A64 2800+ at stock, and about 16500 with my barton at 2.5ghz. Perhaps I will post screanies later.

Last edited:
were both running the latest version of sandra? An XP @ nearly 2.8 should be 11,000+ at 227x12 (2729) mine gets 11,300. Eh... when I get my DFI NF3 and 3200 DTR this week I'll have to do a shoot out. :D

Well I dont want to start a thread about which is overclocked higher, but simply what it takes to equal performance. I dont know if that was with the latest sandra, but if you would like to post a pic, i will reference it in the first post to have another comparison. I will be lookin forward to your shootout too :p

I am using Win2k. So the 64 bit portion is neglidgable. Trying to level the playing fields as equal as possible.

mitro said:
were both running the latest version of sandra? An XP @ nearly 2.8 should be 11,000+ at 227x12 (2729) mine gets 11,300. Eh... when I get my DFI NF3 and 3200 DTR this week I'll have to do a shoot out. :D

my DTR and DFI get about 12040 at 2550mhz, thats 250mhz less than your A-xp.

another thing, i think that no matter what Sandra Arithmatic shows, the Bandwith of most/all a64 in SC is greater that almost any axp in DC

-Jess-

Cant you just do a search on this, this has been posted over and over again, which is better or how much of a clock diff do they need to have to be equal....

Thanks for PMing me about this thread, I don't mind the comparison. I'd just like to add that I'd rather run an A64 at 2.5ghz than a 2.75ghz Barton ANY day of the week ;) Actually, I think there's no comparison at all. High 3dmark scores are based on a whole range of things; overclocked video card, overclocked processor, the memory timings, etc. I have long since stopped benchmarking because there are more important things to me but that's just my opinion. If you use the same video card to run benchmarks on a A64 and a barton, the A64 would win (obviously, I guess I should add).

btw, fsb was set to 230 or whatever because that's all my motherboard could handle, modded or not.

Also, this is a direct comparison of cpu speed, not mem speed. Superpi is mem intensive, 3dmark uses video cards, there are some other benches that i dont have at the time that are cpu as well.

Buhammot said:
Well, with all the flaming and debate that some users are having a hard time dealing with, I would like to thank jlin453 for posting their sandra benches at 2.78ghz with their XP-M. Their post can be found at the following address.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2503132&postcount=96

And on my behalf, I am runnin the speed in my sig, A64 2800+ @ 2.4ghz stock voltage. Being that the video cards are not comparable, no 3dmark scores will be shown here. Strictly CPU bench. If anyone knows of another bench, I will request they do it also, and I will post my results. My bench can be found at the following address.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/buhammot/Proof.jpg

I hate to burst your bubble but your using different versions of sandra...

results.JPG

Ah! thank you much AMD-Me, as we have a very close match! 2.44ghz vs 2.7ghz, as i can hope we are both runnin Sandra 2004.10.9.133.

For the not so believers, is this the kind of benches to show what is needed? And 2.4 I dont think is my max oc, as typical varies from 2.4-2.6 on air. Either way, this IS NOT about prices, but sheer performance perspective.

Nice OC from both of you btw. :clap:

Last edited:
Buhammot said:
Ah! thank you much AMD-Me, as we have a very close match! 2.44ghz vs 2.7ghz, as i can hope we are both runnin Sandra 2004.10.9.133.

For the not so believers, is this the kind of benches to show what is needed? And 2.4 I dont think is my max oc, as typical varies from 2.4-2.6 on air. Either way, this IS NOT about prices, but sheer performance perspective.

Nice OC from both of you btw. :clap:

Danke Sehr! I would be pulling 12k if it werent for crappy a7n8x, that VDD mod is INSANELY HARD! Much love to the fastest A7N8X :D , wait till i get off my *** and get a better Rad and PSU, then we will see 2.8ghz, i can POST up to 2.85. My poor lil Black ICE Pro is at its limit, thus i keep it at 2.64 for daily use.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2762781 says

... the part of hitechjb1's post you're looking for is:

A 754 512 KB L2 A64 + 250 GB motherboard ... 15-25% average gain over a Barton (at same frequencies).

A 754 1 MB L2 A64 + 250 GB motherboard ... 20-30% average gain over a Barton (at same frequencies).

(And those are 754, not 939 numbers, they depend on the kind of work you're doing but it paints a good general picture)

The raw processor power of the A64 and AXP are about equal. There are tons of higher-clocked AXP's that can thrash my system in Sandra, given that they're using the correct version.

The A64's main advantage comes from the on-die memory controller, which Sandra doesn't measure, but can easily been seen from running benchmarks that test the system as a whole.

Back