• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get ram up to speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is what I was going for, not sure what you'd be doing with duct work.

View attachment 144395

It's not very hard to do if you have the room inside your case.

Just take a tape measure and take a rough measurement from the center of your cutout behind your CPU out to the edge of your door for your case. Place a fan centered over this and with a scribe / marker trace the inside circle of your fan. After this all you need is a dremal tool with the right cutting wheel and a steady hand slowly cut the circle out. Hint.... if your case is black any nicks and the inside edge can be touched up with a good black sharpie.

I've done this with a couple cases find a grill guard that you like and your finshed.

Found an old coolmaster 120 was able to wedge it in there and running prime blend. As of now one core dropped out 8 mins in? Only thing that changed was the fan and turned off turbo core?

I didn't touch anything. Just turned off turbo core. Just turned it back on. And running it again.

This is so frustrating...

...not nearly as hard to get on same page when this is page #7 and I went back to page #4 and came forward and did not see the most important info that us from a far distance need to see regularly when changes are made at your keyboard.

Most of us that can do this almost in our sleep easilly spend 10 to 12 hours sussing out a good clock. Always the first thing I do is lower the ram speed to take it the frick out of the equation and give it some cpu voltage to remove it from the equation. All of that is within the window of temps, which seems your rear-board mounted fan helped Ginormously.

And you MUST remember that if they have had you turn off ALL the green stuff then now you have ALL the cores enabled at the same speed as the overclock. That is n0t the way it works when using the processor as AMD spec'd it to operate. So trial and error and maybe some more of the same are a given when doing overclocking and tweaking for the most for 24/7 use.

Need this: Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

RGone...ster.

I was staring at the mobo and noticed an open plug header. I went to the manual to see what plug this is. Page 1-43 in the manual lists this as EATX 12v_2. Is this supposed to be plugged in? If so why does my psu not have a cable for it?

RG, do you really want all of these? I mean I can do it but it's gonna take me a bit. I just reset the bios entered in all of 2400mhz setting for ram and am testing it in blend now. Oh and do you want them while running blend?

That extra plug is for more than normal voltage. I use one but had to buy an adapter for it. You're not going to need one. As for the prime95 and pics yes he's serious. This shows us alot. We were serious earlier about going to 1866 as well. It will make overclocking easier. That CPU doesn't officially support 2400 memory so that can throw things off.

RGone... said:
This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

Ok ok I will kick it down to 1866 should I leave clocks and voltages the same?

How's this?

Attachments

• 1 with blend.jpg
    1 with blend.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2 with blend.jpg
    2 with blend.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 3 with blend.jpg
    3 with blend.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 28
If you're still having workers drop it may be because you have the RAS# to CAS#, RAS# Precharge and tRAS too tight or had you previously passed 2 hours with them set where they're at? The timings should be at 10-13-13-32-43 you have them at 10-12-12-32-43.

According to my package it should be 10-12-12-31
And passed a 2hr test before.

Last edited:
According to my package it should be 10-12-12-31
And passed a 2hr test before.
Well oif you're sure you ran those timings when you ran prime then they shouldn't be the issue but according to the Cpu-Z JEDEC profiles the timings for 2400 are 10-13-13-32-43. Even so when trying to OC the cpu you should drop the Ram Mhz anyway for starters. Running it high will stress the IMC more and could hinder the OC. You can always raise it up later but eliminating as many possible causes of instability until you get a stable Cpu overclock can make the process easier. This way, for exa,ple if you get it stable at 5.0 running all 8 cores and then raise the memory back to 2400 and it becomes unstable, you know it is the cause and you can then work on getting the memory stable.
View attachment 144414

Last edited:
Your vcore swing is incredible also. From 1.4 to 1.525. That's not gonna help your heat situation at all.
Honestly....forget trying to get 2400 to run on AMD. AMD is not Intel. The IMC just isn't that good. Stick to 1866 and tight timings and you'll be much better off.

Honestly....forget trying to get 2400 to run on AMD. AMD is not Intel. The IMC just isn't that good. Stick to 1866 and tight timings and you'll be much better off.

YO Scottman, don't you see it says DDR3-2400 on the package and sides of the sticks. We gotta have DDR3-2400 no matter what.

The title of the thread to begin with was "Can't Get My Ram Up To Speed", that speed being DDR3-2400. That is what 7 or so pages of this thread has been about. Not getting truly stable. Not getting the cpu sorted much but getting DDR3-2400 out of the ram on an AMD system that could give two hoots about DDR3-2400 in general most of the time.

Most of us have found tight, tight arse timings at DDR3-2000-ish to be the sweet spot for most running. Less strain and heat on the IMC since you have to up the CPU_NB voltage to run the faster ram and also you really need to be pushing the CPU_NB speed to get the ram talking to the CPU itself quickly enough to benefit from fast ram.

Now the ram he has, has pretty good timings for DDR3-2400 ram if it is truly 10, 12, 12, 32, 43, but the ram speed is still not of any real benefit at DDR3-2400 on an AMD rig that is not over 5.0Ghz with elevated CPU_NB speeds and most likely a couple of video cards plugged in the mobo.

Just remember the thread title man. It is the ram speed on the sticks and invoice that is the deal. Capt Scottman.
RGone...ster.

Wow a bit cynical there. I am betting that you guys are frustrated with me and this so peace I'm out. I'll just keep timings where they are and keep fingers crossed. Btw ran blend 2+ hours after taking those grabs no workers dropped

I know what the thread is about. What you're forgetting is that most XMP profiles are based on Intel processors. AMD's just plain can't run those most of the time. Real AMD guy's stick to what they know works. Right now it's roughly 1866 speeds and 9-x-x-x timings.

Back