• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challege 2009 Info and Rules!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtoyota479

Registered
Hi Folks! It's that time of year again, and we need to get this ball rolling!

Pretty much the same rules that have worked so well in the past. We were thinking that 20 million would be a good number to race to this year, but we can change that if the teams decide on something else.

I'm in the process of contacting all of the Top Ten folding teams on EOC, so this year should be very interesting indeed!

Couple of things right from the get-go:

1. I'd like you to choose a team captain! The sooner the better, of course. This person will represent your team in all things, so make the choice wisely!

2. Seadave, is it possible for you to get the stats page up and going for this year, and will it support up to 10 teams? You've done awesome in the past, and it would be a pleasure to have you do it again this year.

3. Official-Unofficial Rules for this year:

Here's a couple of tidbits regarding the upcoming Chimp Challenge '09.

First, the rules:

1. First team to accumulate 20,000,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is Tuesday, May 5th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw!

4. Team captains are as follows:

[H]orde=Xilikon [H]ardApe

EVGA=l337h4l EVGApes

OCN=KniteLife OCNChimpin

TSC! Russia=RU_Hil TSCh!mp

OCAU ChestRcopRpot=Monkey_********

Overclockers torin3=T32monkeys

MPC bigtoyota479=maximum_monkey

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Only team captains are allowed to make changes to rules.

7. The official folding names are TBA

8. Have fun and keep it positive.

Trash Talk!

Stats tracking courtesy of seadave77 at overclockers.

I'll try post screenshots from stanford for each team on may 5th, 12pm pacific.

Edit: MPC Start Screenshot OC Start Screenshot (links when available)

Starting points for MPC:
Starting points for OC:

Full Race Graph

I'll add more to/edit this post as necessary.

Last edited:
Any word guys and gals? Lots of views and no replies! I'd love to see you guys get in it this year. I'm trying to get all of the Top Ten folding teams going on this, and so far we have OCAU, the Horde, overclock.net, and EVGA. With you guys that would make six, and even DL.TV is working on hashing it out, that would make seven. Should be really interesting!

From the general chatter here, I'm pretty sure we are going to be in.

Also, from what had posted, there wasn't much of a response needed yet. As you fill out the stuff, I'm sure there will be more posts.

All I really need from you guys now is a Team Captain and your username choice. After that, I think you guys pretty much know the drill, right? Not much has changed except for the amount of teams going to enter this year.

Yeah, maybe some info on what it is would be nice. I've seen it mentioned plenty of times, but all I really know is that it's a race between the top teams, who get people to fold under one name and see who gets to a certain amount of points first.

You've pretty much got it nailed down right there. It started off with two teams, now this year, as of right now, we're up to eight!

I'm not sure what else I can add except for what is already here. It's a race to 20 million points this year. Last year it was 5 million. We were thinking 20 million points would take ~10 days or so, because typically only half of the PPD per team gets pushed towards this cause.

The winning team gets to display the Jade Monkey in their avatars, the losing team gets the Monkey Paw. Right now MaxPC stands at 2 wins, 1 loss, and we're looking to make it 3-1! That's going to be really hard though, especially with OCN, EVGA, and the [H] involved this year!

There's some trash talk, some cheering, some jeering, etc that goes on during this time too, but for the most part it's clean.

I should have added this to the rules, but I forgot. Vijay and the Stanford boys know what we do every year, and they would appreciate it if no one did the whole WU hoarding thing. They've told us in the past that if this creates too much of a stir with their servers, they'll have to disallow it and shut it down. That means no saving up WU's and dumping them on May 5th at noon.

Other than that, it's a race to 20 million points under a username of your Team's choosing!

I pledge all my rigs to the contest when it begins....as usual:beer:

Somebody volunteer to be Captain.:screwy::D

I should have added this to the rules, but I forgot. Vijay and the Stanford boys know what we do every year, and they would appreciate it if no one did the whole WU hoarding thing. They've told us in the past that if this creates too much of a stir with their servers, they'll have to disallow it and shut it down. That means no saving up WU's and dumping them on May 5th at noon.
That should benefit us..... since I know we are all to lazy to have done that.:)

Everyone good with using T32monkeys again?? That name is grayed right now, might as well use it over.

Yeah, maybe some info on what it is would be nice. I've seen it mentioned plenty of times, but all I really know is that it's a race between the top teams, who get people to fold under one name and see who gets to a certain amount of points first.
Its a simple contest we have each year folks:

1) Make a pledge for rigs you can donate to the Team name.

2) On
Tuesday, May 5th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time.
or just before the contest start time change the name of your client's to the Team name we choose and keep the Team@32.

3) Cheer alot and wait till its over, then change your clients back to your name...its simple.

As you can see your points all go to our team as a group effort, so the Team loses nothing.

Also please this is meant to be a volunteer and fun thing as a diversion, no one needs to question whether someone should do this or not.

Its a lot of work for someone with many clients. So just do what we can and have fun.

Last edited:
Ok dfonda T32monkeys it is! You volunteering for the Captains Chair or is that still under discussion?

OK, I guess I just don't really understand the point of the contest. We're already competing against those teams on a daily basis. I don't see any point in doing it with a special user name. Except to be able to change an avatar?

Heh, if mutsu and barnettworks and clamatowas (or whatever his name is) get in on it, it could be over in like 3 days.

I nominate Torin!!:beer:

OK, I guess I just don't really understand the point of the contest. We're already competing against those teams on a daily basis. I don't see any point in doing it with a special user name. Except to be able to change an avatar?
Peddler did you see what the Prize is???? We could win the Jaded monkey!! We would all have good luck
for a year!!!

Thats what this is about!:beer:

Heh, if mutsu and barnettworks and clamatowas (or whatever his name is) get in on it, it could be over in like 3 days.

In response to what's the point.

The last race the horde had much more daily ppd than any other team, but they couldn't draw enough of it into the race to win.

They don't plan to let that happen again this year.

Also the Australians are just coming out of their summer and they said the race was what they needed to get back in fighting trim last year.
After the race they became the largest producers in folding for a time, ahead of the the mighty Horde.

They also have plans for a repeat of that performance again this year.

It is more a measure of team spirit and pulling together and the graph your team provides to monitor the race makes it really exciting to watch.

The teams just over 1 million may be competing among themselves this year, but they will gain experience and the way things are going, no one knows where anyone will be in another year.

They could be making us all look bad and VJ and Stanford look really good.

Sorry to interupt your thread.

I'm enjoying watching everyone get ready for the race, if you have some time check them all out for yourself.

I wish overclockers.com good luck and a great finishing position.

Shock everyone and feel good for a whole year.

If we use T32monkeys (which I think we should!) it will be 3rd place in overall points on our team by the end of the contest :thup:

I'll definitely be participating in this, I think we learned a lesson last year of needing to switch our clients over to the team username sooner.

I'll definitely be participating in this, I think we learned a lesson last year of needing to switch our clients over to the team username sooner.

Yep. I'm going to make sure all of mine are converted over about 24 hours before it starts, just to be on the safe side.

Back