• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challenge 2013 - A Call to Arms - All Aboard the USS Poo Flinger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
where's Adak?

VGT is a little skewed
It was appearing that way before the contest start

VGT isn't skewed. The handicap is calculated based on their folding strength vs all the other teams folding strength LAST YEAR at the time of the CC. Since last year, they have increased their strength quite substantially - so they SHOULD be doing well, in the race. Also, Sbinh (who folds mostly for [H]), has joined them, and he's a strong folder.

Their folders have posted several times, in different forums, how excited they are to be in the CC. That kind of excitement and anticipation, leads teams to prepare better, and marshal their resources better.

I'm not in the least surprised that they're doing well. There is NO penalty or extra handicap that is working against them, because they're a new team. If they do well in the race this year, then they're handicap will be adjusted with actual race data, and it will be somewhat more difficult for them, next year.

If you need me, either PM me, or post in my "update & musings" thread. I don't monitor this thread nearly as often.

Adak Im lookin at the stats and I am not complaining.
could it have been better possibly.... and more likely

Im one to watch and see how it progresses and tinker after the race if there is something to fix

people on each team will have there own perceptions at the formula and feelings. Take it as constructive criticism. Arguing with them over it just fuels it even more. you get mad they get mad - and you just make some people and teams mad

remember some people will never accept any handicap and will voice it
probably be better to let them vent and not respond rather than build bad blood among the teams

your defense over it is exactly how Zodac behaved with her formula.
You notice Im not fighting over last years EVGA made one that got dropped.

I think the format is fine - just some of the data gleaned to base it on was not probably as good as we could get it

now Have a good one (go get a beer)Adak
sit back and watch and enjoy it...

next year we have to have the chat system up for sure

It seems it is properly folding now. I was able to get the Fermis to fold under Linux using some hacks and Wine. They might go bananas, but so far, so good.

EDIT: Nope, broke again.
EDIT2: I guess it's time for me to get VMWare Workstation running on Windows and fold there. I'll miss Arch. :cry:

Last edited:
The Pit_Crew is moving up the standings, currently at 11th.....way to fold Crew...:attn: My 4p is getting some good luck as well...just finished an 8103 for 344k and picked up an 8104 which will finish tomorrow morning for about 250k.....:clap:

Adak Im lookin at the stats and I am not complaining. could it have been better possibly.... and more likely

Tell me why your EVGA stats don't agree with stats on Axipher's site then?

CC_0414_1100hrs.PNG

CC_EVGA0414_1100hrs.PNG

Im one to watch and see how it progresses and tinker after the race if there is something to fix
I'm not.

your defense over it is exactly how Zodac behaved with her formula.
You notice Im not fighting over last years EVGA made one that got dropped.
That would be because all three simulations ran on it had EVGA winning by a large margin, remember?

Zodac was quite correct to defend her formula. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than anything else that the Captain's would agree to at that time. What else could Z do, sit back and say it's really junk and do nothing?

The teams had to have SOME formula that the Captains could agree on!

I think the format is fine - just some of the data gleaned to base it on was not probably as good as we could get it

Of course it wasn't. I said so a zillion times. Drougnor's data 1) was given way too late, and 2) there was NO way I could verify it.

(I did not bring up the verification problem because I didn't want to cast doubts on Drougnor's integrity. But I can't use data that can't be verified by someone (like EOC, or Stanford stats, etc.).

now Have a good one (go get a beer)Adak
sit back and watch and enjoy it...

I've passed on the stats difference problem also to Axipher. Maybe you can help resolve it, since it's on EVGA's site?

Last edited:
This is news to me. Is there an issue with how the stats are being calculated for the handicaps?

There is no issue on how it should be calculated - it's simple math. For some reason the two sites have some significant differences, however.

I can check ours adak - you'll have to wait because I have to get a hold of troy
the raw data is there (drougnor) - points are stored per update
if there is an issue we can fix it

more than likely a timing issue as to collection time- and not necessarily on our side

Last edited:
I needed to tone it down, of course. Now I'm guessing that the reason the EVGA team is so torqued out of shape is that they've been viewing their own stats site. They may think they're really doing poorly in the rankings, because of the handicap.

We don't know yet, which stats are correct, but the one I've been posting results from is the official site - I made that clear before the race started.

@Thanks, Xaviar.

Oh ok. I've only been paying attention to the stats you've been post Adak. Wasn't aware there were 2 sources.

Oh ok. I've only been paying attention to the stats you've been post Adak. Wasn't aware there were 2 sources.

There's just one source - Stanford FAH. That's where the official site has been getting it's data from. I'm not sure where EVGA's data is coming from. Should be the same source though. Too bad they don't agree, eh? :clap: :thup:

same source
we use the flat files from stanford
drougnor keeps every hourly update
it's either axipher out or evga site is... it all dpends on collection starting time
I can check the raw data just give me a few mins

There's just one source - Stanford FAH. That's where the official site has been getting it's data from. I'm not sure where EVGA's data is coming from. Should be the same source though. Too bad they don't agree, eh? :clap: :thup:

Yeah I don't get why EVGA feels the need to create another source for the same data? Especially considering the data doesn't match.

It doesn't hurt to have 2 sources to compare to each other.
That way it is easier to see if there is an issue with one or the other.

Error on our side I think....
I just checked raw data is correct - however website info wrong
I'll get troy to fix it

the purpose is verification and backup

Yeah I don't get why EVGA feels the need to create another source for the same data? Especially considering the data doesn't match.

You CLEARLY don't know EVGA. Great team, with many great folders, but *some* are quite team-centric, with an "if it ain't EVGA it ain't ****" attitude - which is pretty hard to put up with.

No I don't keep track of other teams...probably the same reason I never watch organized sports (NFL, NBA, MLB etc). It's not the game, it's the fans I hate.

I got a handle on it now Adak - Ours will be fixed shortly - seems to be my boo boo (not updating troy on the multiplier)

Edit:update
fixed now

Last edited:
I got a handle on it now Adak - Ours will be fixed shortly - seems to be my boo boo (not updating troy on the multiplier)

Edit:update
fixed now

It was MUCH closer at 4:30, and EVGA was spot on, but OCF and VGT and some other teams, were not quite matching up.

Back