• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Collection of Memory Chips...what you should know!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NinjaZX6R said:
That one is extremely difficult to research. There is very little info on it. I do know, however, Centon makes TCCD modules. As for the others....I will try to look into it.

-Collin-

Everest is saying my K-Byte Elixer memory sticks are made by Nanyan? At least one stick says that, but another same model stick says nothing about it. Just blank for Manufacturer field.

great list, thanks!

I went to return these Corsair 'Value Select' chips coz i ordered the 3200C2 TwinX instead and they messed up the order, and at the store i asked if i could see their OEM brand ram, and I see 'Samsung TCCC' chips on it. I snagged 2 of them quickly, because for the price of OEM, its definately worth getting some TCCC chips.

p.s. - avoid 'Value Select' like the plague. they couldnt even hit 220mhz at ultra lax 3-4-4-10 2T timing. p.o.s chips. even my 2 year old Infineon chips outperform them. i'm hoping to hit 250 to 260mhz with the samsung, though it seems like at loose timings. ah well. timings aint everything. i'm just trying to match up my CPU speed better.

Hi all,
I am currently running a A64 rig with 4 512MB sticks of mixed RAM and I have the opportunity to swap out a few sticks so they are all the same brand. I am currently running both Nanya(NT512DB64S8HB1G-6K) and Infineon(HYS64D64320GU-6-B) PC2700 sticks on a Neo Plat 2 board. I know neither of these brands are awesome for overclocking, but I would like to know if one is still better than the other and if I might be able to get any more improvement on my RAM timings by switching to all one type of RAM. My current timings are 2.5-3-3-7@185Mhz with a 2T command rate. I run the RAM at 2.85v, which is the highest my BIOS allows.

aka1nas said:
Hi all,
I am currently running a A64 rig with 4 512MB sticks of mixed RAM and I have the opportunity to swap out a few sticks so they are all the same brand. I am currently running both Nanya(NT512DB64S8HB1G-6K) and Infineon(HYS64D64320GU-6-B) PC2700 sticks on a Neo Plat 2 board. I know neither of these brands are awesome for overclocking, but I would like to know if one is still better than the other and if I might be able to get any more improvement on my RAM timings by switching to all one type of RAM. My current timings are 2.5-3-3-7@185Mhz with a 2T command rate. I run the RAM at 2.85v, which is the highest my BIOS allows.
Your best bet is to test each pair out separately and find out which is better, then get the 2 of the ones that give the best OC. It's a crap shoot either way, but IMO this will give you the best shot.

Really Depressed

I have Corsair TwinX1024 XMS-3200v4.1 and found out it has Infineon IC's.

I bought this stuff because Corsair has always had the best IC's on their RAM, and their reputation for good OC's preceded them.

I am now really disgusted. I paid a premium price for this stuff, and found they used some of the worst IC's out there.

230FSB at 1:1 is not gonna cut it for this system. I have a CPU that can easily go to 4.0GHz, I have all the right equipment, and I find my RAM is a dud.

I feel like I did not get what I paid for. I just bought the stuff a couple months ago, and have been going to many OC forums on the net trying to learn this stuff.

Now I can't use any of what I learned. Yes, I can use a 5:4 divider, but who wants to limit their memory bandwidth just to see high FSB's. The data isn't going anywhere if the RAM is a bottleneck.

Shucks! I really had high hopes. Right now I can't afford anything else. I've spent most of my disposable income for what I have now.

When i bought the RAM I have, I thought I was buying the best. Hard lesson learned. :(

Just Wanted To Add

While it's a little aggravating what I learned about my RAM, this is why I came here. I'm glad I found out about this. I never suspected my RAM for one minute based on it's reputation.

If it was not for this forum I would never have found out. I learned what IC's were used from another forum, but this is the one that gave the scoop on what the IC's would actually do. I am grateful for this information even though it is not the best news. I came here to learn to OC and try to help others where I can.

Thankyou for the info. It is good info, and my OC wall was right inline with what the original author of this thread posted. Now that i know what is causing it, i can do something about it in the future. Unfortunately, that will be a while as I am tapped out buying stuff.

If I would've known then, what I know now, I definitely would've went a different route. I paid alot of money for that RAM and feel like I got "value RAM" for a "premium RAM" price. That's why i'm a little aggravated.

this thread helped my alot because i always here these abbreviatiosn-bh5, utt, d43 etc with different mfg'ers like ocz, geil, mushking, etc.

from reading its seems that you can deduct what memory you have through timings and process of elimination.

is everest a good tool to see what ic's you have without having to remove the heatspreaders? is there any program available that will identify what ram you have and the serial# etc. like cpu-z for processors?

i put in some bh-5/2x256/pc3200 and opened everest, it came up at 2-3-3-7 timings.

sorry for the dumb questions, also is ther a guide on how to remove heatspreaders safely?

thanks for the thread ninja :)

Beginner said:
this thread helped my alot because i always here these abbreviatiosn-bh5, utt, d43 etc with different mfg'ers like ocz, geil, mushking, etc.

from reading its seems that you can deduct what memory you have through timings and process of elimination.

is everest a good tool to see what ic's you have without having to remove the heatspreaders? is there any program available that will identify what ram you have and the serial# etc. like cpu-z for processors?

i put in some bh-5/2x256/pc3200 and opened everest, it came up at 2-3-3-7 timings.

sorry for the dumb questions, also is ther a guide on how to remove heatspreaders safely?

thanks for the thread ninja :)

I believe you can just slowly (and carefully!) pry them off. Usually it's just some thermal tape holding them on.

Beginner said:

There is not a program to see what IC's you have as the information is not programmed into the chips. The timings that you get in everest are the timings that the manufacturer programmed the RAM, but not necessarily the tightest that it will run.

Beginner said:

Search for heatspreaders and fishing line for finding out how to remove them without damaging the finish on your heat spreaders. If you don't care whether you damage the finish on your heat spreaders or not, I think that you can place them in the freezer for a little while and then gently prying off the heatspreaders.

CJ

BH-6 – This is the 6ns version of the BH-X series. This ram performs very well, and in some cases, as well as BH-5 ram. Like its 5ns brother, it loves voltage and can achieve high frequency with cas2-2-2-X timings. BH-6 can usually clock to around 240-250 MHz with about 3.2-3.4 volts and still retain the tight timings. This is even harder to find than BH-5 as it is also out of production and was not produced for as long. One thing to note about this ram is that since it is 6ns rather than 5ns, you will mostly find it in PC2700 or DDR333 speeds. This is nothing to be worried about. As I said earlier, it can clock nearly as high as BH-5. Also, if 2.8 volts is your motherboard’s limit, you might want to look elsewhere. This ram can be identified by the last three characters being BH-6 on the chips. This is most commonly found in Mushkin Special 2-2-2, Corsair XMS, Kingston Hyper X, and various Value Ram models. It has been known to show up in Kingston Value Ram PC2700.

BH-6 is actually the same IC as BH-5, there is no die difference whatsoever.

Akin to TCC5/TCCD, BH-6 is simply a "failed" BH-5 IC - an IC that failed to pass "BH-5 operational standards" immediately after fabrication. I was surprised to hear this, I always thought that BH-6 was an entirely different IC.

A BH-7 IC also exists - these being failed BH-6 ICs. CH-5/CH-6 may be the same way, I'm not sure about that.

Unlike UTT, BH-5/BH-6/BH-7 was tested to a thorough standard of operation and integrity post-fabrication - hence the BH-5/BH-6 "bins".

Hi, I have just found this thread and was wondering if anyone could help me identify which chips my ram has.

I have 2x512mb sticks of Kingston Hyper X ddr400 ram I pulled the heat spreaders off and the numbers on the chips are as follows

V79110
0419 P01
D3208DI5R-5A

Anyone know what chips these are and whether they are good for overclocking/timings

thanks

They are most likely CH-5 winbond chips. Is the model number KHX3200 or KHX3200A? If it is A, they are CH-5. If it has no A, then it is probably BH-5. I am 99% sure those are CH-5. They can do relatively well with increased voltage. Good luck.

-Collin-

el_leumas said:
I have a Corsair 1GB which is a Samsung UCCC RAM.....whats the performance of this stick?
Why don't you tell us?

I picked up a stick of Transcend 1GB with UCCC and the performance is OK I guess, but not enough to keep me happy.

It will only do CAS 2.5, and that too at 2.9 volts with the trats modded bios on my board. I didn't bother to try overclocking. Maybe it's OK for a 1GB stick, being a bit slower than 512 MB.

My earlier Transcend does 2-2-3 at 2.7 volts, at 400 MHz, but that's two sticks of 512.

Oh, BTW, the system works correctly in Dual channel with 2GB installed, even though the sticks are different (2x512 Mosel chips and 1x1GB Samsung UCCC). It operates at CAS 2.5 with 2.9 volts, though. Can't get tighter/higher and no way to try more voltage on the chips.

NinjaZX6R,
Hynix chips could be referred with more than their speed grade. D43 and D5 don't mean anything but nanoseconds and latecies.
There are lots of internally different chips rated D43.

Reminds me of all those people reporting seeing Winbond DH-? in their hard drives. Really, those chips have nothing in common with "BH-5" or "CH-5".

The part number is all that matters!! :)

largon said:
NinjaZX6R,
Hynix chips could be referred with more than their speed grade. D43 and D5 don't mean anything but nanoseconds and latecies.
There are lots of internally different chips rated D43.

Reminds me of all those people reporting seeing Winbond DH-? in their hard drives. Really, those chips have nothing in common with "BH-5" or "CH-5".

The part number is all that matters!! :)

I was under the impression that I covered the different revisions (i.e. Bt, Ct, Dt). I just kept them in the main category of D43 and D5 since that is what Hynix does. I don't see it necessary to create a section for each different revision. PM me if you want to chat about it.

-Collin-

Back