• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Collection of Memory Chips...what you should know!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
G-Skill and Patriot (XBLK's) never stoped using TCCD's on their modules.

From what I got with testing both of them TCC5's are different then TCCD's. For once they like looser timings when hitting higher freq especially with RAS/CAS and much much higher Vdimm. I have gone all the way up to 3.2V on TCC5's to stay stable on high freq and another thing I found is that I was able to push them all the way up to 230MHz with tight timings of 2-2-2-5 but with higher Vdimm then stock.

RedDragonXXX said:
-- From what I got with testing both of them TCC5's are different then TCCD's.--
There's a very simple way to determine if TCCD and TCC5 are the same chip:
Again, the part number is what matters...

Chip generally known as "Samsung TCCD": K4H560838F-TCCD

K4H560838F-TCCD
K = Memory
4 = DRAM
H = DDR-SDRAM
56 = Density + Refresh rate (256MBit/8k/64ms)
08 = Chip organisation (x8)
3 = # of banks (4 banks)
8 = Interface (SSTL-2 2.5V)
F = Die revision
-
T = Package (TSOP 2 66pins)
C = Operating temp / power (0º ~ 70º)
CD = Speed rating (DDR500 / 250MHz @ CL=3, tRCD=3, tRP=3)
------

Part number for TCC5 is identical excluding last 2 letters:
C5 = Speed rating (DDR466 / 233MHz @ CL=3, tRCD=3, tRP=3)

:)

Samsung part number decoder (pdf)

Though, C5 and CD are not mentioned in the decoder-sheet. Guess Samsung doesn't update their datasheet so often. But it's a fact that TCCD, TCC5 and TCCC are the same chip. Even several dimm mfg reps have guaranteed this.

fldrice said:
My sticks of CH-5 may do better then the average CH-5 because they were speed binned, but the general idea is CH-5 can also respond well to volts. I find that the volatage increase from 2.6 to 2.8v don't yield any particular gains, but when you pass the 3.0v barrier the ram starts to behave a lot like BH-6. It is not uncommon for CH-5 to run 220-230 2-2-2-X with 3.0-3.3vdimm.

yup i can back-up this statement. Ch-5 need at least 3.0 and even 3.1 to act 'normal' :)

i suggest adding this type of ram memory.

nanya chip ending with 'g-43' or elixir chips '...ct-43' ( it's the same in general)

I've found them with Elixir 256 mb ram marked as PC3700.
I've set up 3,4,4,11 timings which i consider as 'not tight'. All ram was sync with fsb. Each fsb setting have been tested with memtest at least 20 minutes ( above 10000 % coverage)

results of testing:
mhz\timings\ht\V\test
238\3,4,4,11,1T\4x\auto\ok
245\3,4,4,11,1T\4x\auto\ok
250\3,4,4,11,1T\4x\auto\reboots
250\3,4,4,11,1T\3x\auto\errors after few seconds
250\3,4,4,11,1T\3x\2,8 V\errors after few seconds
250\3,4,4,11,2T\3x\2,8 V\ok
255\3,4,4,11,2T\3x\2,8 V\ok
260\3,4,4,11,2T\3x\2,8 V\ok
266\3,4,4,11,2T\3x\2,8 V\ok
270\3,4,4,11,2T\3x\2,8 V\1 error after 5000 %

I regret i didn't had a chance to test this stick with mobo allowing more than 2,85 V (for example 3,0 V and more) because with 2,8 V they were only warm
In comparison to other chips they have an important advantage - they are very cheap and allow some oc

I posted my corsair xms3200c2 rev 4.2 at corsair forum identified my chip to be:

Samsung -5 TCCX

What is TCCX? Is it another chip from the TCC series? I know there is C, 5, and D. Is X another type? Or is it low performance version of TCC5 or TCCD?

Thanks. btw, TCCX is not even mentioned on this sticky thread on the list of Samsung chips.

yeba said:
Samsung -5 TCCX
There's no "TCCX".

They meant that chips used were rated DDR400 but rated timings vary between diff batches. It is either TCC4 or TCCC, latter being better.

You'll have to peek under the hs to be sure.

Mine cant be TCCC or TCC4 coz it can run at 260 Mhz at 2.5-3-3. I know neither TCCC or TCC4 can run at this speed.

The thermal paste used by corsair is so strong it's hard to peek. I'll try again.

largon said:
There's no "TCCX".

They meant that chips used were rated DDR400 but rated timings vary between diff batches. It is either TCC4 or TCCC, latter being better.

You'll have to peek under the hs to be sure.

There is no other choices than TCCC or TCC4.

260 Mhz at 2.5-3-3 is really not a problem for either of those chips... They'r both lower bin TCCD.
Physically identical to TCCD.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I am not sure if I want to return it to the seller because the seller advertised it as TCCD however it is performing well on my intel rig, gone up to 280 Mhz at 3-4-4-8 at 2.7 V. Or keep the TCCX and sell my Hynix bt-d43 ram that maxes out at 270 Mhz 3-4-4-8 at 2.8 V.

largon said:
There is no other choices than TCCC or TCC4.

260 Mhz at 2.5-3-3 is really not a problem for either of those chips... They'r both lower bin TCCD.
Physically identical to TCCD.

Just want to say awesome guide Ninja. Does Crucial Ballistix only use that last set of chips? Mine do get really hot. If I were to get another stick, it'd match up because the chips match, right? Stupid dual channel... shoulda bought a set...

Well as a notice to this perfect info:
Chip is not the only responsible for high overclocking and even for timmings.
Mobo + bios is a combination that could cause variaties in scores.
Also PCB of the stick is an other factor.
For example in my AN7 mobo 2x512 MB Kingston Value ram with micron -5B G cannnot do 2-2-2 or 2.5-2-2.
Sticks are double sided so in nf2 they cannot oc.

Hey guys...I've been gone for a few months. I am back and I'll be updating this thread shortly. Don't give up yet. :)

-Collin-

Awesome stickies you have Colin. :thup:

Now i just hope to see some equivalent DDR2 reference material! :)

pscout said:
Now i just hope to see some equivalent DDR2 reference material! :)

the only thing you need to know about DDR2 right now is Micron D9 fatties and skinnies. thats all there is now for good clocking sticks, but im hearing that certain companies are gonna make a D9 killer soon. cough *elipida?* cough

Back