• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crunching Milestones ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm just waiting for the next fry's sale.. so I can upgrade a few more computers. I keep replacing P4's with Quads.. Though honestly now I am half waiting untill nahalem to upgrade work stations. I guess I'll have to edit my sig :<

24 of the computers are my own, 2 are friends. The problem with corprate farming is that sometimes computers crash and turn off and in a multi location setting it's a pain in the butt to monitor them all.

Errr, that wasn't the part of the sig I was referring to...something about #1 in RAC
I was also referring to that - though I can see where another interpretation can be made considering the rest of my post.

I guess I'll have to edit my sig :<

24 of the computers are my own, 2 are friends. The problem with corprate farming is that sometimes computers crash and turn off and in a multi location setting it's a pain in the butt to monitor them all.
I was referring to your personal computers - you have 20+ computers running at home? If true I'm officially impressed ... :eek:

All but one of mine are in the house (total of 9 - so far ;)). The ancient Intel belongs to my son-in-law and all he uses it for is browsing and e-mail. He has to be independent or something I guess. I offered him a newer rig but he didn't want it ... :shrug:

Last edited:

How do you do it, Svirf? I have three main locations, home and two workplaces. I use LogMeIn (free) and can see at a glance if all my machines are up, and on the network. Then I go into one certain machine at each location and run Boinicview, to see if I have any hung tasks, etc. If I do, then I VNC into the afflicted machine and report/abort, etc. This works out pretty well. My workplaces are remote, but my employees dont mind cycling power on a client every once in a while. I even have one trained to short pins on the motherboard it they don't come up!

Last edited:
I dont use any tools .. Other than remote desktop connection. I just keep an eye on my BOINC computer stats and if something hasn't returned for a week I check in. My life doesnt permit me too much time for monitoring.

You guys are crazy! But in the spirit of things...(not really my personal laptop went up in smoke literally a while back) I bought a new dell laptop with a T5750 processor! That should add a bit of RAC to my laptop farm!

I dont use any tools .. Other than remote desktop connection. I just keep an eye on my BOINC computer stats and if something hasn't returned for a week I check in. My life doesnt permit me too much time for monitoring.

Well, I have heard of people who have other things to do besides SETI, but didn't think you were of them. (jk) If you can put LogMeIn on your boxes, it's easy to monitor. Example: Here you can see 6 is down. Oh well, they open at 9:00 AM tomorrow & can cycle power.

I dont know why I'm making it easier for you to catch me...Southern Hospitality, I guess :)

Attachments

• mycomputers.jpg
    mycomputers.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 267
BOINCView really is nice if all your machines are on the same LAN. One click, wait a half-minute and all the machines are listed showing their current WU's and tasks running.

Very simple, quick, and easy to check that all machines are running correctly ...

freakdiablo, I gave you some slack dude. I had to evacuate for Hurricane Gustav and everything has been offline all week. I just have 1 machine running presently until things get a little more organized at the house. I have some serious cleanup to do right now as well as getting up on the roof to put a few tarps over some spots where I lost some shingles due to the storm. Other than that and losing 2 trees I came out OK though.

Last edited:
Thanks Evilsizer. :)

We actually had a pretty good time when we evacuated for the storm. We went up to a friend's deer camp in north LA with him and his family and rode 4 wheelers around the lease. And it's a pretty nice lease and a good camp too. And he is going to invite me up for a hunt this fall. :thup: I'll have to break out the deer rifle and do some target practicing soon.

I hear **** Cheney is opening up a Hunter Safety Course! :)

You may be doing this Hurricane drill several times, unfortunately. Good luck!

Milestone Update!

Seems I missed last week and I have no idea why - guess I had a senior moment. Here in the Midwest temps have come down dramatically in the past two weeks and I'm looking forward to us taking back at least one RAC position as some of you ramp up production going to Winter Mode.

nikhsub1 has become the second member to pass the 8,000,000 Milestone!

Svirfnebli has a double this week having taken over both 5th and 4th Place!

Michael Pogrebisky has made it to the 2,000,000 Milestone!

Rick has crunched past the 1,500,000 Milestone!

The One raced past the 1,250,000 Milestone and right into the Top 40!

Careface has also crunched his way past the 1,250,000 Milestone!

Moonbiter is the newest member of the 7-Digit Club and made it into the Top 50!

Codeman05 has climbed his way into the Top 75!

karbon has crunched over 600,000 Cobblestones!

The Four Horsemen has made the Half-Million Milestone!

Katelin has zipped past the 400,000 Milestone!

defiant79 has crunched himself into the Top 150!

Rentar Ihrno and
Shecky have both made the 200,000 Milestone!

bioevolve and
Toomnymods have both entered the Top 175!

Tristan and
Kahnza have crunched their way through the 150,000 Milestone!

Don C. has entered the ranks of the Top 200!

Alec Hussey,
Michael Statzer, and
Jerry Ferns have all made it through the door of the 6-Digit Club!

Hedah has crunched over 75,000 Cobblestones!

And a big OC*SETI :welcome: to our newest Milestone member
Cipher by having made the 50,000 Milestone!
Cipher has been crunching with us for about five years but commissioned a Q6600 Labor Day weekend.
No doubt we'll be seeing more of him. :)

Great going, Everybody!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don't forget to VOTE!

DAC Leaderboard

DAC Leaderboard for the week of 7 Sep - 13 Sep

Overclockers.com Team ... 332,582 (346,016).. 7th RAC in the World!!!

BOINCStats using the "Credit/week" column and dividing by 7.

Razorface ........... 36,334 ..... (36,374)
Svirfnebli .......... 33,588 ..... (32,443)
muddocktor .......... 20,832 ..... (20,979)
nikhsub1 ............ 17,577 ..... (15,962)
tricknasty .......... 16,120 ..... (13,498)
QuietIce ............ 15,644 ..... (16,236)
Tyrinon.............. 15,407 ..... (13,338)
boox2 ............... 11,053 ..... (16,522)
Codeman05............ 10,988 ...... (9,329)
Michael Pogrebisky ... 8,079 ......... (NA)

SETI@Work using the "Week Avg" column.
(These stats are offset one day from BOINCStats.)

Razorface ........... 35,579 ..... (35,974)
Svirfnebli .......... 32,846 ..... (31,399)
muddocktor .......... 23,330 ..... (20,717)
nikhsub1 ............ 16,401 ..... (15,385)
tricknasty .......... 16,123 ..... (13,703)
QuietIce ............ 15,643 ..... (16,535)
Tyrinon.............. 14,901 ..... (13,395)
boox2 ............... 11,867 ..... (16,204)
Codeman05 ........... 10,944 ...... (9,149)
The One .............. 7,498 ......... (NA)

:):thup::clap::cool::soda::burn::beer:

Upgrade those optimizers ...!!!
(xx,xxx) = DAC two weeks ago if available

Last edited:
We have definitely taken a hit in RAC of late - more so than most. Don't know about you guys but all my rigs have gone back almost to pre-AK_v8 days. :eek: I moved stuff around in the den and, for some reason, the Q6600 system didn't want to reboot at it's previous speed (a whole 3.15 GHz). :( Didn't have much time today so after playing a few minutes I just put it to stock and went on. At least it's crunching this way. I did notice Gigabyte set the vCore to 1.26 so maybe I'll be OK after all - just needs a tweak or two (I hope).

The newer Phenoms look promising, several have managed 3.3-3.4 GHz! We'll see how well they crunch. I've got a 9850BE and, by Tuesday evening, should have 2x 9950BE plus assorted boards and RAM to try them out. It's experiment and test time again! :)

Just passed 150k recently. :)
Yep - your name in lights this week. :D

I can't believe you skipped a week....sheeeessshh
;)

Congrats guys
I couldn't believe it either. They say memory is the first thing to go ... :p

Last edited:
Back