• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crysis Demo Links...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rank and point structure is why BF2 has lasted 2 years and may very well last another 2.

Its not perfect and probably poorly enforced, but seeing your kill count and achievements is unique and very rewarding.

Greetings!
What source says that Vista is producing lower frames than XP in this game?
Tried it. With Vista its just unplayable in High, with XP is playable, barely.
But nVidia is pumping out beta drivers at an impressive rate, things might change.

Greetings!Tried it. With Vista its just unplayable in High, with XP is playable, barely.
But nVidia is pumping out beta drivers at an impressive rate, things might change.

Yeah I loaded up Crysis in Vista 64 the other night and it seemed to be at least 10 FPS slower and the controls seemed laggy. This really ****es me off. I was expecting the game to run FASTER in a 64 bit OS, not SLOWER. If it's a beta driver problem hopefully they work it out. Until then, Crysis is very noticeably faster on my PC under Windows XP (32bit) than Vista (64bit). If anybody cares, I'm running an Opteron 170 (overclocked to 2.4GHz from 2.0), 7950GT 512MB (OC'd heavily), and 2 gigs of RAM.

I reinstalled Vista x64 last night (pain in the butt since it takes SO long) and I'm going to redo my drivers tonight and reinstall Crysis and give it another shot.

Rank and point structure is why BF2 has lasted 2 years and may very well last another 2.

Its not perfect and probably poorly enforced, but seeing your kill count and achievements is unique and very rewarding.

Amen. That's also what makes COD4 so awesome. (I've never played Battlefield 2.)

Greetings!Tried it. With Vista its just unplayable in High, with XP is playable, barely.

Considering that Xp's DX9 in Very High simply can't utilize SM4 or other DX10 HDR fx's ... there's going to be a performance difference. The quality may appear the same when viewing a still picture but, in motion there is a difference. If you just look at basic dx9 comparisons of Xp vs Vista which are equally being used the same then it's really neck and neck thus proving that the more features in DX10 you use in Vista will slow down performance....

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_vista_driver_performance_update/

I wouldn't say that there is a ground shattering difference between the way Crysis displays DX9 in Very High compared to it's own DX10 in Very High on Vista. However there are some DX10 screens that do surpass DX9 easily especially in the Flight Simulator X thats all over the web. You simply aren't going to achieve the same performance in Vista as you would in XP in this case mainly because of the added features in dx10 being used over dx9.....

DX9
http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=140846,00.asp

DX10
http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=140847,00.asp

Last edited:
Did the cfg stuff for very high in XP last night. During the beach area and command base portion of the demo frames never dipped below 20fps, but was always around 24 on average. This is again, with 16x AA and a highly clocked Ultra and 1440x900.

been playing through on Hard...I think I'm getting towards the end of the demo and it has been extremely easy so far. I got tired of massacring people with cloaking so I started using speed to run up next to a guy, quick change to power and then kill him with a punch. You can do this with several guys around and they will hardly ever do enough damage to kill you.

The suit is sweet, but it gives you too much power.

When you're up against massive aliens later......I'm assuming you'll need that power.

The Koreans are supposed to be the grunts :)

ah ok I was thinking this game was only human enemies, but that is FarCry 2. Might end up getting this one then, I always enjoyed the expansive area FPS's (Farcry, HL2) as opposed to corriders/cramped spaces (Doom3, Bioshock).

I'm hoping that the humans on the hardest difficulty setting in the final are a bit more aware then the demo. They are incredibly easy to to avoid without using any of the suits abilities.

I'm hoping that the humans on the hardest difficulty setting in the final are a bit more aware then the demo. They are incredibly easy to to avoid without using any of the suits abilities.

Well if we know whats in those settings surely we can tweak it a bit more for the AI to be even harder.

Greetings!
Considering that Xp's DX9 in Very High simply can't utilize SM4 or other DX10 HDR fx's ... there's going to be a performance difference. The quality may appear the same when viewing a still picture but, in motion there is a difference.
Check this two-page article:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182140/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1
It has screenshots comparing Very High in XP and Vista and performance comparisons between XP and Vista.

I have both OSs installed and XP feels a lot smoother than Vista.

"I have both OSs installed and XP feels a lot smoother than Vista."

If Vista is showing more shadowing and lighting then XP at very high then it will run a tad faster on XP because the effects displayed aren't equal. Even that site made mentioning of the shadows in Vista over XP. Not that it's significant though since Crysis isn't really taking DX10 to it's utmost fullest degree like FlightSimX.

I'd still look more at the benefit of running it on 64bit since the performance on it vs 32 is sound. The main benefit of Vista64 over Xp64 is larger software and hardware support as well as DX10. That's a bit more sound argument than running very high on XP 32.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=698&p=7

An actual oddity is Gears of War PC on both DX9 and DX10 which DX10 isn't adding any effects except 4xAA if you enable it yet being disabled on DX10, it's much slower than DX9.

Greetings!
If Vista is showing more shadowing and lighting then XP at very high then it will run a tad faster on XP because the effects displayed aren't equal.

For clarification, I dont play at Very High since I dont have system for it. And XP-32bits-DX9-High feels a lot smoother than Vista-64bits-DX9/10-High.
With XP the game plays fluid, with Vista there are too many hiccups.

PS:
And I am not the only one experiencing it:
http://www.yougamers.com/news/13720_crysis_32_vs_64_bit_-_the_real_story/

I'm getting mediocre FPS @ 1440x900, medium settings and no AA on the system in my signature - is that to be expected or is something wrong? The game looks nothing special at these settings really.

Back