• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEATH to my ICH9R RAID 5??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you tried clearing cmos and then enabling raid and setting boot disk?
If you set it up as IDE how long does it take windows to load?

Hi thank you for your help. I am unsure what you mean-the first thing I did was reset the BIOS to default values, then change the ICH9R to RAID mode and set the boot disk to my lone IDE as was before... is this what you mean?

Set what up as IDE? I noticed that my system takes about 5x as long to boot up as it used to do?? is that what you mean? I have only had IDE boot disk on this system
Thanks

guys there HAS to be a way to get my DATA, does ANYBODY KNOW A FIRM I CAN PAY TO GET MY DATA? well HERE is a new screen shot with perhaps interesting info about my drives:
Disk 0: this is my single IDE drive, it has the OS and page volume
Disk 1-3 these are 3 of the SATA western digital drives that make up the RAID,
one of these drive is not showing up in computer managment. Please notice however that each of the three that ARE, are all DIFFERENT...?!?!?!?!?
The drive letter assigned to my RAID volume had been "M"
I have not applied anything to any drive, only looked.
computerMagagment.jpg

Last edited:
We have been doing RAID 5 on hardware RAID controllers for years w/o a single problem. I think this is related to the controller. It may be a good time to invest in a good add on controller. You should be able to get one for a few hundred.
If you want a quality controller I would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816131003&Tpk=ARC-1210

YES the funny thing is that I have also been using RAID 5 for years and not a single problem... my old gaming system get this my AMD k6-2 333mhz system... I bought a completely crap generic ide controller loaded up windows 2000 and used SOFTWARE raid for 4 x 130 GB drives for years.... that computer geesh build of scrap parts and el cheepo tall white tower case computer faire special, its slow as frozen spit and got kicked around it had to rebuild once or twice, but it STILL works and I have one of its 4 IDE drives in my new system as the boot disk!!!!! The Mr. Paraniod Data Monger I am, I didnt format the other 3 drives they are still in the 333 system, lacking thier 4th drive and it still works. Good thing too. Its the only backup left, after a few months of new system, I got comfortable and started colating my extra drives that contained some of my data.... My white tower has about 30% of my overall data that I lost in my new faboulsly expensive system.....

Yes and I have built the dev server for my company, I bought a 3ware pci-e host controller RAID 10 with the same WD 750 GB drives, I built 2 exact same 1U rack systems for the city of Oakland 2 months ago, they were $30k each, they had pretty SAS drives, again RAID 10 but using a built-in controller from HP, and I built my companies web server (the one I have my site on) its a DELL with software raid 1 (I had to go cheap or would not have gotten anything)

This is the ONLY system I have EVER build that has EVER failed like this...LORD I have a Smart-UPS 1400 with a BRAND NEW $120 battery!!!! I have $2400 into my personal file raid computer!!! I dont know anyone who is as data paraniod as I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! screw this intel garbage!!!!!! crap! crap!!!!!!

Could you please explain what this means? Thanks

I assume he's talking about locking the PCI / PCI-E frequencies in BIOS so the drives aren't being 'overclocked'

Real bummer man... I'm ordering a 4th 500Gb drive and going Raid0/Raid10!

ok! Thanks, I will check that as soon as I get home tonight, however from Intels messages I think I am screwed.... Can ANYBODY suggest a DATA RECOVERY SERVICE FOR ME PLEASE PLEASE???

You've already had two suggestions for software - one in post #14 and another in post #19.

jmorgan's suggestion looks better then mine: http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

Do you have a large enough drive to store the recovered data?

Data Recovery SERVICE needed, please advise!!

You've already had two suggestions for software - one in post #14 and another in post #19.
jmorgan's suggestion looks better then mine: http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm
Do you have a large enough drive to store the recovered data?

No, I dont have a large enough drive, I am not sure if there is a single drive that would take the 1.2 tB of data on my 2.(2?) failed volume.... the other advice I have gotten is DONT screw around with it, take it to a pro. This data is valuable enough for me to not experiment with it! I am usually ready to jump in and try anything, but not for this.

Therefore I am asking for Data Recovery SERVICE not software that may or may not work - also as stated, the size of the data in my volume precludes it from My easy retrieval. The best case senario would be if I could drop off my machine or drives, then the Data Recovery SERVICE would temporarily store my data, I could then buy a 3ware or similar conroller and perhaps one more drive then go back to Data Recovery SERVICE and load the data on my new(er) and improved volume. Im not ready to give up yet, there must be a way!!!!!!!!

Theres certainly a way, its just not cheap.

Contact DriveSavers.
http://www.drivesavers.com/solutions/raid-nas-san.html

EDIT:

I just wanted to add... For really important data, ALWAYS keep an offsite backup. For some of my documents and pictures I have duplicates in about 5 different places. That can be ridiculously expensive when you have a lot of data, but still... Try to keep data in a second location even when you are using a redundant system.

yes thank you Finally after contacting Gigabyte, intel, this forum, programming buddy, gaming buddy and talking to all for several conversations this is the FIRST data recovery suggestion.

Yes It would have cost me $4800 to truly duplicate my system. Took over a year to get the $$ for the RAID system in the first place. Not really feasible to have redundant systems for me, a poor slob individual. Can you believe that my 7+ year old system POS SOFTWARE RAID WINDOWS 2000 still works even though I "stole" one of its 4 drives to make the OS for my "new, true pos" system... the currently dead system. I pulled that OS drive out and rebuilt it in my KMD K62 333 system that cost me $39 for MB and CPU.

Funny that the new system was $2400 all new technology and couldnt hack it for even a few months and maybe a couple of dozen hours MAX operation. JUNK pure and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you I will contact the service.

1) I am hear because of my own ICH9R RAID 5 problem...and having quite a problem r
solving it.

2) RAID 5 reduced the impact of losing a single drive. From a reliablity standpoint, nothing more, nothing less. Lose 2, lose the controller, etc...you are still out. From a non-reliablity standpoint, it also allows a large virtual drive.

3) Your data needs to be protected from both system failure and site failure (your house burns down, does happen now and then). Companies either replicate in real time, asychronously, or nightly to a system at a backup location, and/or make daily backups that are taken off-site daily. I backup up volatile stuff weekly, and during the week swap it out with another external drive to the safe deposit box. So my loss is limited to about a week if the house burns down.

The cost of a 1 TB external drive, needed for 2.1 TB compressed, is about $350. You will need two.

4. Ants are an interesting problem, but it could have been an A/C problem also. And unless your system can do a graceful shutdown (not all can), it wouldn't have lasted long. Most battery UPSes only give a few minutes if that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

4. Ants are an interesting problem, but it could have been an A/C problem also. And unless your system can do a graceful shutdown (not all can), it wouldn't have lasted long. Most battery UPSes only give a few minutes if that.[/QUOTE]

A/C problem? My smart APC UPS 1400 VA conditions the utility power, so how could it be an AC problem? Also I think it is supposed to run my machine for 15-20 minutes at least.

APC Parachute software gets signal via serial cable shutting down the machine.

This large battery backup unit is sized well if not over-large for my "normal pc" ie not a specialized server...

Unfortnately the ENgineeris at APC didnt make this unit SMART enough in the least. When the ants moved in and ate up its internals, it did not know it was a cancerous leper with gangerane. Now my drives are at a recovery facility. We'll see if I can get them to partial trade for some programming and design of an active web site for them. You're right, need offsite backup but already had used up all my money, hell I hadent even finished offloading my old drives and various data to my new RAID volume, thats how little I used it, probably 24-40 hours of TOTAL use for $2400.......

I got a message from the Recovery place.... they emailed me;

"Matt,

This one is going to take some time and work.

Sincerely,

XXX"
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes that truly sucks. How am I, private indivual, able to realistically chunk out that sum? I suppose that only important companies are able to loose data and hire a data recovery center? I really dont know.

If anybody could suggest a data recovery center for me, I would be so happy. I will try anything. Please suggest a data recovery center to me and Im on it.

Back