• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delay When Browsing Files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

borjoyzee

Delay When Browsing 1800+ Files HELP!!!! (didn't do it in win98) ?? ..

i have a bunch of small files stored on my server .... i just recently upgraded my entire network to windows XP ... now whenever i try to access my files there is a delay .... quite a few seconds ... i think the problem is that the files are very small from 50k to 120k and there 1800+ files... the way i am getting to them is trough wordperfect i hit open .. and LAGG .... another thing that causes the same lag is if i make a "toolbar" down on the windows taskbar and point it to that folder .. i get the same lag ... now i have tried almost everything i turned off indexing services .... i made it to where the pc isn't looking for any sceduled tasks ... and still LAGG ... i can't figure out what to chang to get the directory to open without lagg ... now i know it has to be some kind of windows XP setting because like i said the enitire network "WAS" windows 98 .. now it's XP .... and gotten slower?? any suggestions?

Last edited:
What specs are the pc you're using? If you were using 98 it seems fair to assume it is a bit of an older machine. This could have a lot do with it, but give specs if you could please.

BTW, welcome to forums ;]

Ive been working on this with Borjoyzee . Its like a P3 , but it doesnt matter cause because we have tried it on 2 P4 2.8e machines and get the same results . It even does it locally , we think it has something to do with the amount of files in the folder . We are soooo stumped . BUT if you hook a 98 machine up to it .... no lag .

It could just be that then. XP does a lot more than 98 does when looking up files, especially for office files/pictures/media. If there are a LOT of files, I'm sure it would cause some delay vs 98 which didn't do quite as much initial information gathering.

Exactly

ok now that is exactly what the problem is for sure .. but the question is ... how do we ask windowsXP to be nice and stop looking up so much information .... there has to be a way to make the file explorer go into "windows 98 mode" if you will ..... and i hope you will .....

they are a bunch of small wordperfect files ... 40k to 140k there are 1800 of them ...

thanks for the welcome didn't notice it first time .... werked around the problem but it's only becaues 1 person uses the files and i moved the data to the local pc they are used on .... everyone else still LAGS but it doesn't matter .... chekk out my forums i just put up http://www.alwaysopenonline.com

yall helped me out tremendously with a problem i had a couple weeks ago and changed the way i "RELOAD" windows xp for my customers ....

Sorry haven't replied quickly, been busy. Anyhow, dunno if you can change the XP behavior directly. Glad to hear you found a workaround, hopefully it works for good.

Back