• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eXtreme PSU Calculator update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also dont know how accurate it might be.... what are people putting in for surge compensation and capacitor agiing?

With my system it tells me 540W - which explains why it restarts under load when not hooked up to the UPS for power conditioning. (1500va)

lets say it says use 600 watts and i'm actually using a 550 watt PSU and it runs fine...? anything I should be worrying about? I'm guessing not by looking at the other posts...I think what reallyyy made it go up was the opteron 170 @ 2.9ghz with 1.45 vcore...it was like 250 watts or something, that doesn't seem right?

Last edited:
Well your 550W probably is rated to run normally at 550W but max load is higher.

Like my OCZ Powerstream 520W actually can provide 620W at peak load output which is probably what this calculator is showing.

I'm kinda concerned that the calc showed 250W over my MAX. Assuming it's accurate.

Wow, I need a monster PSU :(

Conroe E6600 ---> 4GHz (154 W) (100% TDP) :D :bday:
2 x 1 Gb DRAM
2 x x1900xtx CF
Swiftec Premium WC
1 x DVD RW
3 x SATAII
1 x SB PCI card
2 x 80mm regular fans
2 x 120mm high performance fans

100% PSU Peak utilization
20% Capacitor ageing
25% Surge protection

TOTAL = 857 W!

Hmmmm ....I didn't even look at the Capacitor aging thing....after changing that to 25% I'm up to 1044W

And that's figuring 3.0Ghz on the Opteron at 1.5v ...what if I can go higher?

No wonder my electric bill has been so high!

Additional Thought:

This thing does kinda make me wonder if my PSU is strong enough for everything I have running off of it. Any ideas?

In addition to the signature I have:
2 CCFL's (included in calc)
I'm planning to add a vantec fan controller that also has 2 more CCFL's (included in calc)
USB Printer (incl.)
USB keyboard/gamepad thingy (Flexiglow Cyber Sinpa) (incl.)
And a PS2 Powered SmartCard Reader/Writer (that I didn't include in the calc.)
And I'm counting on my Opteron OCing to 3.0Ghz (I guessed at 1.5v) (incl.)

Last edited:
Hey Super Nade-

Where did you get the Conroe? Are you a beta tester or are the psu requirements for a system you are going to build?

This is the projected setup for an upcoming build. I suppose the beta testing can be left to those with bigger pockets than me :D

I'm at only 464W according to that with the current build...Merom at 3.15. But I know for sure that my Fortron 550 with 4x22A 12v rails couldn't take it. I think it's undershooting something.

How did you arrive at such a modest number? Take a look at my projected specs and see what happens. I think I'm either doing something wrong or interpreting the results wrong.

Quoted from the footer on the calculator page:

Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used over extended period of time (1+ years) as well as 24/7 PSU will start loosing its initial wattage. Recommended to add an additional 20% if you plan to keep your PSU for 1+ years (25-30% for 24/7 and 1+ years).

May 23, 2006

Just a reminder, I'm sure 99% of you knew it ;)
Many folks select System Type: Dual Processor for Dual Core CPUs - its wrong! Dual Core CPU is a single physical processor and System Type should be Single Processor.

----------------------------

May 23, 2006

The following changes were made:

- added AMD Sempron 64 2800+ 1600 MHz AM2 Manilla
- added AMD Sempron 64 3000+ 1600 MHz AM2 Manilla
- added AMD Sempron 64 3200+ 1800 MHz AM2 Manilla
- added AMD Sempron 64 3400+ 1800 MHz AM2 Manilla
- added AMD Sempron 64 3500+ 2000 MHz AM2 Manilla
- added AMD Sempron 64 3600+ 2000 MHz AM2 Manilla

- added ATI Radeon X800 GTO
- added ATI FireGL V7100
- added ATI FireGL V7530

- updated list of current AMD AM2 Athlon 64, X2 and FX Processors and their wattages according to the new AMD modifications.

- updated wattages of ATI and NVIDIA video cards

Best Regards,
eXtremeOV
http://www.extreme.outervision.com

Back