• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6100 Can i clock this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomten

I have a 500w PSU and my 6100 in a coolermaster cm 690 advanced case.
This case has 3 fans front rear and top 140mm 120mm 140mm(1200rpm).
From what i have heard it has good airflow within itself and the ambient temp where the comp will be is quite cool. 19-20 degrees celsius.
My question being: could i reach a stable +10%-20%(3.7-4ghz) stable clock without the need for additional cooling?

I realize this is probably hard to answer yes or no on, but i have ZERO experience with building computers(so far ive had laptops or Imac's).

Thankfull for any advice on the matter.:)

Key would have been to specify the motherboard and what cpu cooler are in use. Big gap in information without those specifics. Or can just answer it is liikely you can clock 3.7Ghz and try other speeds and see how hot it gets. The results really are going to vary even with room temps.

The first thing to do would be to check your core and CPU socket temps with everything at stock frequency and voltage. To do this, download and install these two free programs: HWMonitor and Prime95. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Post back with a pic of the HWMonitor user interface after the test. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced window pops up, click on the little paperclip icon at the top to load the file browser and uploader tool. The rest will be obvious. This will tell us how much if any temp headroom you might have to overclock.

Im sorry for the gaps in information(im new:-/).
The system hasn't arrived yet so pictures will be in a few day.
The cpu cooler is the Stock one, ive heard conflicting views from my peers whether or not its possible to clock with it but i figured that you guys would know more!:)
the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, Socket-AM3+

and thanks for your fast responses!

i think you can clock to 3.8 4.0 with the 6100 on the stock cooler and it will depend on what you do with the computer, as what will the load be.

Back