• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill overclocked help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XRogerX

ok guys as you know im coming along way and pushing my system on Air

so I got some help from MaddMutt ,hes been a great help , but anyways

I guess im asking for a little more help on getting more out of my Ram

this is what I got G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

and this is as far as I got ,so any opinions would be grateful

Capture.PNG

Your ram is actually underclocked on those screenshots with some slight timing tweaks.

What have you tried so far as far as timings/voltage in your overclocking?

There's quite a bit of tinkering that goes along with the ram end of it. A lot of testing, crashing and OS corruption. First thing you need to know is that memory can be overvolted just like a CPU but you'll need a fan or good air movement over them if you really want to push it. First thing I would do at this point if you haven't yet is download AMD Overdrive. It will allow you to make ram changes in windows and saves a lot of rebooting. The only thing you can't change is CL. If you're still at 1.5v then I would set 1.65v and see if that ram will run at 8-9-8. With the current speed.

ok the timing is what you see 9-9-9-24 T2 and the volts was ummm , I say 1.55 - 1.60
Stock is 1.5

I will check now to see what happens with the Volts and timings you suggested

Update:
ok I tried those settings and the 1.65 volts and it BS and reboots

Last edited:
OK, now remember you're trying to get benching speeds right? Some of these won't be good for everyday computing because of excessive voltage. Try upping the volts to 1.7 or even 1.75. Don't worry it's still safe but just like any type of overclocking you stand a chance of damaging your equiptment. JEDEC standard says that DDR3 is supposed to withstand up to 1.95v without permanent damage.

What SN has this kit ? ... I mean in format xxxx1400 , xxxx2100, or something similar.

He means the serial number off the sticker or package. That way he'll know what chips are on the sticks.

I looked at the sticker but no SN and I don't have the package
is there another way I can find out?

There's always a SN on the sticker. It's small and right at the bottom. This was taken from the newegg site

gskill.JPG

Just capture the sticker on the ram like in the newegg link. One stick and one side is fine assuming you capture what we are looking for. :)

Crap, like Johan posted... LOL!

I hope that's a good thing
That I couldn't tell you, one of our resident memory experts will be able to tell you more. When ocing ram it's basically the same as the Cpu. Raise the Mhz or Tighten the timings, test it and add voltage accordingly. When tightening timings do one at a time. It takes patience but for benching you will be rewarded.

Back