• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-A75-UD4H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm using a HAF XB for my 8350 build with decent success. With a Hyper 212+ mounted, my options for a top mounted fan were limited; I had to go with the thinnest fan I could find and even then had to mod the fan slightly to allow the top cover to slide on and off without contacting the 212+.

I run 2X140mm front fans as intake, top mounted 200mm as intake, rear 120mm as exhaust and a push/pull setup on the Hyper 212+. This allows me to run the 8350 at 4.6 GHZ without exceeding 60 Celsius in Prime. At 4.7 the temps start to skyrocket so 4.6 is the max speed on air with this particular setup. I doubt any other setup would give much better success on air.

In a nutshell, the HAF XB does a good job in thermal management. The only downside I've found with this case is the lack of 3.5" drive bays; if you have more than 2 3.5" drives your SOL on mounting them. Of course it does present a good excuse to upgrade to a bigger, faster SSD instead as there is plenty of room for 2.5" drives.

zebodog thanks and I'm glad u didn't post this after I bought 2 HDDs because I would have been P.O.d! I placed my entire system order last night and it included 1 Samsung 250gb SSD and 1 WD 500GB HDD.

And thanks for the fan insight - just what I was wondering, but I'll wait until Tuesday when I get the system built to see how much more thermal management I need.

That RAM will probably not fit with the cooler. Get some low profile Ares 1866

I'm baaaaack!

I got the system working, the HAF XB came with one busted HDD tray but otherwise good. The only biggie I ran into is a RAM timing issue - at the first run I go into the BIOS and see:

Total Memory - 16368 MB (DDR3 1333MHz)

Thinking the RAM vendor slipped me a fast one I checked here:

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1866c10d-16gab

and see the Tested Speed @ 1866. I also see a little further down SPD Speed @ 1333. I know SPD has something to do with safe but I'm still not sure why my MOBO is running the RAM @ 1333 instead of 1866. So I changed the BIOS setting to 1866 and then on restart the computer would not start :( Unplugged, pulled the CMOS battery, restarted and figured maybe I should also set timing. I go back to the Gskill Web page and note the Tested Latency. But I go into the BIOS "Advanced Mode" and I see like 15 lines of stuff like DRAM CAS# Latency, DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay, DRAM RAS# PRE time and on and on...

Should I just leave it at 1333 because I have no idea what to change?

Thanks rgone. Confirming these and the clock speed (mhz) are the only settings I need to change for RAM timing?

Thanks rgone. Confirming these and the clock speed (mhz) are the only settings I need to change for RAM timing?

Generally yes those are all that normally have to set manually in order to know that the ram is set according to specs. The SPD of the ram is read by the board bios and then often the board sets all correctly. It is to make darn sure of the timings that you go in and set them manually.

On that board are probably 25 other settings that auto usually does the setting just fine.
RGone...

RGONE u r the masta!

Okay after reboot I see Total Memory now reads: 16368 MB (DDR3 1439MHz) - still not 1866 but after making the changes you posted and tweaking the SSD this box is blistering fast! I went from about 1 minute boot to desktop to now less than 10 seconds WOW! Even all the icons are already loaded - that's crazy.

Should I worry about getting it to 1866?

On a side note Cooler Master is cool - had to contact them about a dimple on the top panel and a busted HDD tray of the HAF XB - simple parts request on their Website and stuff is already confirmed shipped. Best $90 ever.

16368 MB (DDR3 1439MHz) + Should I worry about getting it to 1866?

If I had a current picture or capture of CPUz / Processor Tab and CPUz / Memory Tab, that answer is easier to give.
RGone...

Back