• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Rig for 800$ - best for it's money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
build for 439$, lowest anyone should go for "Gaming" imo. You can get used GPU, somewhere in the 7850 range for 75$, used hard drives for 20#, save another 100$ that way. WAY better than that crap logan posted on the AMD build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38FcmG

Excellent build, Bob. The ASRock Z97 Anniversary is cheaper, though, and I would prefer it to an ECS board. Only tweak I'd make to an otherwise spectacular parts list.
I have the Z97 anniversary and the feature set, bios setup, and 3258 OC features are spectacular. I'm very happy with this low end board.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/kkWypg

You could build on an Athlon 860K for only a few dollars more and have a viable machine. These builds just aren't well researched that you're posting.

That is why I wanted to build exactly this build.
860K very reasonable CPU for budget gaming and I can take it, if somebody suggest me a decent FM2+ motherboard.

The most interesting moment in AM1 is that total build can be 350$ (with 4Gb of Ram) with 8Gb of ram it fits to 400$.

And what I'm planning to do is:

1) Make a video about build.
2) Make some videos with testing in games and soft.

I think it can be funny and interesting.

That is why I wanted to build exactly this build.
860K very reasonable CPU for budget gaming and I can take it, if somebody suggest me a decent FM2+ motherboard.

The most interesting moment in AM1 is that total build can be 350$ (with 4Gb of Ram) with 8Gb of ram it fits to 400$.

And what I'm planning to do is:

1) Make a video about build.
2) Make some videos with testing in games and soft.

I think it can be funny and interesting.

So you want to put videos with misleading or non-useful information on Youtube?
If you need somebody to suggest parts to you, you shouldn't be making build videos. That's a little blunt, but let's be honest.
Bob posted a build for a little over $400. It's excellent. Why don't you make a video about that?

Excellent build, Bob. The ASRock Z97 Anniversary is cheaper, though, and I would prefer it to an ECS board. Only tweak I'd make to an otherwise spectacular parts list.
I have the Z97 anniversary and the feature set, bios setup, and 3258 OC features are spectacular. I'm very happy with this low end board.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/kkWypg

I just grabbed the cheapest Z board out of pcpartpicker haha. This one seemed to be decent, I looked up a quick review on it. 30$ rebate brings it to 70$ for a Z board, which isn't too shabby honestly.

What I like about that build, its not a dead chipset either. Down the road you can upgrade to an i5 4440/4460 and upgrade the GPU and keep it "relevant".

Gentlemen et all,

There are better, less condescending, ways to help Yan out here. I know some of the choices may not be what we would build, and some are downright perplexing. But be constructive and let's stop berating our friendly neighborhood pirate.... Yaaaaaaaan....arrrrrrrrrgh!

If things don't turn around, I'm going to have to work for free and hand out some moderator love to the offending parties.

Want console level performance for console level price?

Heres one

http://tinyurl.com/py5dmlf at 400$

Heres another

http://tinyurl.com/naw9ytu for 349$

build for 439$, lowest anyone should go for "Gaming" imo. You can get used GPU, somewhere in the 7850 range for 75$, used hard drives for 20#, save another 100$ that way. WAY better than that crap logan posted on the AMD build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38FcmG

Good build.
I thought about it too.
The only thing concerns me - 2 cores. Even if it make 4.6 Ghz - how to compensate lack of at least 2 needed cores?
The platform is very good for upgrade.

860K still very interesting choice.

Good build.
I thought about it too.
The only thing concerns me - 2 cores. Even if it make 4.6 Ghz - how to compensate lack of at least 2 needed cores?
The platform is very good for upgrade.

860K still very interesting choice.

That's right Bob. 3258 is so useless that when overclocked it keeps up with an i5 in most games. What a piece of garbage that chip is. Only dual core. Surely an AM1 quad core is a better choice.:nuts:

Yan you don't know your shizz bro. You just don't. You shouldn't make PC build videos for the same reason I shouldn't make dishwasher repair videos. Don't join Austin Evans in the "Hilariously bad youtube builds" category.

That's right Bob. 3258 is so useless that when overclocked it keeps up with an i5 in most games. What a piece of garbage that chip is. Only dual core. Surely an AM1 quad core is a better choice.:nuts:

Yan you don't know your shizz bro. You just don't. You shouldn't make PC build videos for the same reason I shouldn't make dishwasher repair videos. Don't join Austin Evans in the "Hilariously bad youtube builds" category.

I don't know why do you need to up-side-down everything. )
I told about 860K but not about AM1.

Yeah.
I suppose to make another video about G3258.
Thanks for build!

Last edited:
I don't know why do you need to up-side-down everything. )
I told about 860K but not about AM1.

Are you familiar with the fact that AMD CPUs have terrible IPC performance?
Dual core 3258 obliterates quad core 860K. There are a few games that require four cores to run that won't run on the 3258 but those are few and far between. An overclocked 3258 is the best $60 you can spend on a CPU. And it clocks pretty good on the stock cooler too.

I know you're talking about the 860K now but as I said earlier, if you need somebody to recommend you a motherboard for it then you don't know enough to be doing build videos.

Why don't you do the build Bob posted but use the ASRock board I suggested and make a youtube video about that? It'll outperform an 860K build.

Case in point though: There are enough people on youtube already putting garbage out there. Even some supposed experts like Tek Syndicate will put out crap sometimes. There are very few youtubers who know 100% of what there is to know about hardware and compatibility. You see builds with V300 SSDs, 8350s on 4 phase boards with no VRM heatsinks, 4790K's paired with GTX 750's... just lots of nonsense out there. All we're trying to say is don't add to the pile.

I've only ever seen one "Build video" on youtube where I agreed with all the parts. It's a dangerous game to play. Computers are individualized things. I'm not going to use my computer the exact same way as you, and EarthDog, and Bob are going to do something else, and so on. You can build 1000s of configurations for $800, and what suits one gamer may not suit another gamer/photoshopper and that may not suit a video editor, a CAD worker, etc etc. The system needs to be tailor made to the user. That's the whole point of custom builds. People are much better off coming to a forum like this one, telling us what their usage scenario and budget are, and having us put something together for them, than they are copying a one size fits all video off youtube.

Another thing, new parts come out all the time, rebates and prices change... how long will your video be relevant? 3 months? tops? It's not worth it dude, seriously.

Its wiser to make a video about HOW to build a computer than it is to make a video about which parts to choose. The latter will have a short life span, practically speaking.

Watch some EPIC youtube PC channels for inspiration. TastyPCTV is my favorite. It's done by Lauren, a 21 year old young woman from England. She seriously knows her stuff. Her videos are so professional and so direct to the point and they miss not one fact. Someone to copy. Get good and there could be money in it for you.

If you want to do a "How to build" video watch some Carey Holzman videos. He's the king of PC DIY on youtube. His build videos set the benchmark. 2 1/2 hours of painstakingly detailed explanations. If anybody can watch one of his videos and proceed to incorrectly assemble their PC, that person needs to be institutionalized because his videos are that good.

Last edited:
Yes. I'd like to get help in this question.

Take a look closer for PCI-e 4x.
Right side of it is cut.
I've done it in times of GPU Bitcoin mining numerous times.

Issues are possible only with powerful GPUs. like 980Gtx, etc..

Skyrim:
w Fraps: 15 - 25 FPS
w/o Fraps: 25-35

Fallout New Vegas
w Fraps 15 - 25 fps
w/o Fraps 20 - 35 fps

Borderlands 2:
w Fraps 10 - 20 fps
w/o Fraps 15 - 25 fps

Left 4 dead 2:
w Fraps 20 - 40 fps
w/o Fraps 30 - 60

Just on APU Athlon 5350 without GPU.
I wouldn't say that this "little boy" for office. It's more for games than for office.

Crysis 3
high details
1920x1080
AM1 AMD 5350
GTX750TI
8GB RAM 1600MHz

with fraps: 25-30fps
without fraps: 30-40fps

I think it's very smooth and decent for such money.
What would you say?

So, my GOAL here is to create decent build for money that one can spend for gaming console.
And create more versatile performance that Console can give to user.

Ok, let me help ya out, im going to assume no OC will be done to this rig, for 400 it would be impossible so check this out:
Option 1:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-4200 3.3GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($62.94 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0503 18.6 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($6.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260 1GB Video Card ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC DIY-5823BK (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $443.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 10:43 EST-0500

Option 2:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX Power Supply ($25.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $436.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 10:34 EST-0500

And thats with OS. Without OS could have put better video on both, but either one of these will have to do. Id prefer option 1 though, scores a bit higher in benches

Are you familiar with the fact that AMD CPUs have terrible IPC performance?
Dual core 3258 obliterates quad core 860K. There are a few games that require four cores to run that won't run on the 3258 but those are few and far between. An overclocked 3258 is the best $60 you can spend on a CPU. And it clocks pretty good on the stock cooler too.

I know you're talking about the 860K now but as I said earlier, if you need somebody to recommend you a motherboard for it then you don't know enough to be doing build videos.

Why don't you do the build Bob posted but use the ASRock board I suggested and make a youtube video about that? It'll outperform an 860K build.

Case in point though: There are enough people on youtube already putting garbage out there. Even some supposed experts like Tek Syndicate will put out crap sometimes. There are very few youtubers who know 100% of what there is to know about hardware and compatibility. You see builds with V300 SSDs, 8350s on 4 phase boards with no VRM heatsinks, 4790K's paired with GTX 750's... just lots of nonsense out there. All we're trying to say is don't add to the pile.

I've only ever seen one "Build video" on youtube where I agreed with all the parts. It's a dangerous game to play. Computers are individualized things. I'm not going to use my computer the exact same way as you, and EarthDog, and Bob are going to do something else, and so on. You can build 1000s of configurations for $800, and what suits one gamer may not suit another gamer/photoshopper and that may not suit a video editor, a CAD worker, etc etc. The system needs to be tailor made to the user. That's the whole point of custom builds. People are much better off coming to a forum like this one, telling us what their usage scenario and budget are, and having us put something together for them, than they are copying a one size fits all video off youtube.

Another thing, new parts come out all the time, rebates and prices change... how long will your video be relevant? 3 months? tops? It's not worth it dude, seriously.

Its wiser to make a video about HOW to build a computer than it is to make a video about which parts to choose. The latter will have a short life span, practically speaking.

Watch some EPIC youtube PC channels for inspiration. TastyPCTV is my favorite. It's done by Lauren, a 21 year old young woman from England. She seriously knows her stuff. Her videos are so professional and so direct to the point and they miss not one fact. Someone to copy. Get good and there could be money in it for you.

If you want to do a "How to build" video watch some Carey Holzman videos. He's the king of PC DIY on youtube. His build videos set the benchmark. 2 1/2 hours of painstakingly detailed explanations. If anybody can watch one of his videos and proceed to incorrectly assemble their PC, that person needs to be institutionalized because his videos are that good.

I understand clearly well that everybody use they's PC for different tasks.
My goal is to give universal solution for average user and overclocking should be not like "a only way" but as option.
For instance - 400$ rig. + option (mobo+coler) and ones can reach another 500mgz for additional 50$.

Overcloackers are just 1% of the 100% PC users.

And for the other 99%... Buy a Dell/HP/Gateway for $400. There is one area a custom build cannot compete and that is in the sub $400 arena. Understand that you can get a complete (with monitor and windows which I note windows at least is missing from all your builds listed) system for $400. On top of that system you get TECH SUPPORT and a long warranty.

And for the other 99%... Buy a Dell/HP/Gateway for $400. There is one area a custom build cannot compete and that is in the sub $400 arena. Understand that you can get a complete (with monitor and windows which I note windows at least is missing from all your builds listed) system for $400. On top of that system you get TECH SUPPORT and a long warranty.

You and me and everybody else know that Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. sell silly builds, especially as "gaming pc".

I'm taking about "gaming PC" best for it's money with additional option as "overclocking" for those who know what this word means.

You and me and everybody else know that Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. sell silly builds, especially as "gaming pc".

I'm taking about "gaming PC" best for it's money with additional option as "overclocking" for those who know what this word means.

And when you add an OS to your builds, you're in the $500 range, not $400.
Please, use some sense. You cannot build a PC worth gaming on for $400 with an OS. It's a waste of money.

Silly yes... but, it has a monitor, tech support, and a warranty. Those that need those things (the latter), generally do not build their own systems in the first place. So 'silly' is in the eye of the beholder.

But if you want to build a decent 'gaming pc', you also are not going to be spending $400 either.

I think you are going after a couple different target demographics here but not really satisfying any.

And when you add an OS to your builds, you're in the $500 range, not $400.
Please, use some sense. You cannot build a PC worth gaming on for $400 with an OS. It's a waste of money.

OS is a always a choice.
I prefer to exclude it.

Somebody can use Ubuntu or SteamOs. Another can already have Win7 on different PC and just clone\install it to his new HDD.
So, it's always a choice.
I will cont only hardware in not overclock state.

Its a choice of which OS, yes, but a REQUIREMENT to have one and not all have it handy to clone (nor can certain licenses come over from one rig to the next). One can't run games from the BIOS... And Linux gaming is not close to Windows gaming as far as ease of setup and flexibility (again, you say linux, but people that can use and game on linux, won't need their hand held for hardware selections really).

This is, in essence, a shotgun solution for something that requires sniping. I think your efforts are better placed in a different arena Yan. Seriously. :)

Last edited:
+1 to what EarthDog said. Just because someone has a computer doesn't mean they can take that Windows copy from it.
And SteamOS/Linux aren't where they need to be for mainstream gaming yet... Not that this $400 system would be doing much (if any) mainstream gaming anyway...

Back