• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good coolers for under $50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Can someone recommend a good CPU cooler for x570 boards with a Ryzen 3rd gen cpu? I upgraded to a 3600x and I am not liking the cooler at all. I have a Cooler Master 212 and wanted to use that, and put the Ryzen cooler on the FX8150 I have on my old system but it won't fit. I don't even know if the Cooler Master would fit the x570 board.

I want a nice cooler that comes with one 120pwm fan, simple and effective. And it has to fit my board, lol.

Does it have to only have 1 x 120mm fan on it?
My 2600X is has TDP of 95W, just like your 3600X but I use this cooler from CM although its push/pull design.
I have my system in a big case though (see sig) everytime I look inside, I'm thinking there's a LOT of room in there... :)
But in my part of the world, especially in summer I'm glad I have excellent air flow over all components.

Last edited:
I prefer the CM Hyper 212X over all other budget coolers. It has the classic 212 heatsink with an upgraded, longer life, PWM fan. The fan is also considerably quieter than the fans that are on the EVO.

EDIT: There are mounts included for push/pull but all the reviews I've read show little to no improvement, so I've never installed a second fan.

The MSRP for the Scythe Fuma was $42.95 when I reviewed it in 2016. The Reeven Ouranos was $49.95 in 2015, probably more than that now, if it is still available. Both were excellent heatsinks. I reviewed the Ninja 4 in 2015. It hadn't been released yet but the MSRP was expected to be less than $50.

Whatever you get, be sure that the heatsink has at least 6 heatpipes. You need that many to carry away more heat than the stock cooler.

Guys, let me explain my dilemma.. So I got everything installed (I'll update my sig today so that you can see my new rig, x570 with 3600x), but temps seem high to me. They are hitting 40C in bios, or close, and in Windows with minimal use it's 45C, with mild use it jumps around but sticks around 45C, then I did a blend Prime95 test and it went to 75C, but then I did a torture test in Prime95, cpu only, and INSTANTLY it hit 96C, in less than a second, and my computer sounded like a vacuum. I only did that cuz I figured I need to test the temps before I starts gaming, and now I'm afraid to even open the game!! I installed the stock cooler correctly, I may re-apply the paste but even that I've done many times in the past. My FX8150 would hit 60C on P95 torture test max with the 212 evo cooler (is that cooler compatible with my mobo?).

So, I bought 4x140mm Corsair fans, real nice, but could only use 3 as the top of the case can't take 2x140mm if I want to put cables for CPU power through the top, they are in the way (I only run one on top), so now I have 2x140mm in the front intake, 1x140mm on top and 1x120mm back with 1x140mm outside not doing anything.

So, either I can buy a cooler that can take a 140mm fan (which I don't think is possible), but I also thought, do water coolers (rads) come with fans? Or could I get a rad and pump only and use the two 140mm front fans and mount them on the rad and then use that for my cpu and case intake. I want good cooling, and this seems to be the best solution, although judging by the huge temps I don't even know if that's possible.

So, any ideas on the latter (I will check out the coolers you guys mentioned for sure, but now I'm leaning towards a 280mm rad for the front of my case with the 2 Corsair 140mm fans.

EDIT: I can also use 2x120mm on my cpu, no problem, but do I have enough mobo pins? I think I have only two more available, one says WPUMP and the other AIOWATER, all the ones used for fans are taken, 4x system fans and 1xcpu (I have 1xcpu optional still available I think, or maybe I'm using it already). Can I plug a fan into one of the water connectors on the mobo?

EDIT 2: My plan is to upgrade to the best cpu that is on offer for the x570 in the near future, so water cooling is definitely on the table for futureproof, I just can't handle the CPU hitting limits, but I also can't handle buying $40 fans just to not use them, so now that I have 2x140mm I need to figure out how to use them if I do go watercooled. Do rads support push/pull so that I would have 4 fans? Any AIO? Then I have to figure out how to power them. Jeez, I wish I could just get a water block and rad and that'st hat.

Last edited:
A little all over the place there....

96c is high even for the stock cooler.

Something is not right.....

I'll re-apply the paste and try again, and I hate how the stock cooler is installed, the back plate just falls off, you have to hold it like an idiot and push down crazy to screw the stock cooler on, wowz. I hope that the backplate is replaced when you get a new cooler, any aftermarket cooler, but how about a waterblock, do they come with their own backplate?

I cannot tell you about AMD temps, but temper your expectations of even the best 4-heatpipe heatsinks.

4 pipes ain't gonna cut it. Need 6 or better.
There's a lot of decent coolers out there for 50 scoots or less.
Buy the most heat pipes you can afford.
PPC's has like a hundred different one's.
All of them will be within a couple degree's of each other.

It is true that more heat pipes (and larger pipe diameter) are better, even a 4x heat pipe cooler like his 212 evo will be an improvement over the stock Wraith Spire that comes with the 3600x. That spire is the old school aluminum HS without heat pipes.

Your CM 212 EVO is rated for 150W TDP. You would need an AM4 mounting kit for it if you decide to use it. Here is a link.

Alternatively, you could even look into a used big air cooler on ebay.

If you budget is only $40 then stay away from AIO's for that price you'll end up with junk.

If it will fit, the thermalright true spirit 140 power is an excellent hsf. $49.99 at amazon. Its 170mm tall so be sure it will fit. Theres also thermalright le grand macho for the same price but with no fan is also very good but ive no real experience with it. Thermalright le grand macho rt is the same hs but comes with a fan and is alot more expensive for $80.

I'm a big fan of the CM 212's myself. Except for my threadripper, all of my machines have one.

I’m a big fan of Thermalright. TS140P for 50 bucks can’t be beat. The Macho Rev. b is the same price, though should not be confused with Le Grand Macho RT as LGMRT is a 7 pipe cooler and rated for 320w while Macho Rev b is a 6 pipe cooler rated for 240w I believe.

About my budget, I don't really have one. Now that I have spent $1500, who cares about a bit extra, I don't want to be throttled. That being said, I don't want to just throw my two 140mm fans away, they cost me $40 and I don't like throwing money away. So I figure maybe the best way is to go with water and utilize the two 140s, I can easily fit a 280mm rad into the front of the phanteks 350x, there is lots of room in the front. But then I don't know anything about water coolers or radiators, is there a push/pull 4 fan solution? If I buy an AIO like the Corsair or something else, they all come with two fans already right? And will water at $120CAD really be better than a $60 air cooler with 6 or 8 pipes and 2x140mm fans? I mean the rad will now be both a case and cpu cooler so in reality I'm giving up a bit there, so really I'm confused, but I know I have to do it this friday, so decision time is very close, and I know the stock cooler is definitely not the way to go.

I can't use the Noctua I have already cuz I still need it for the FX8150 secondary system and I lost the stock cooler to that one, or can't find it (I was hoping the Ryzen 3600x cooler would fit but it just doesn't, it's close but doesn't).

EDIT: I can't fit the Thermaltake, it's 170mm tall, my case will only take up to 160mm. It does seem to fit the Dark Rock 4 which seems like a great cooler but it's at 159.5mm which is right there at the window I guess, man that is sick lol. I don't know if I'm comfortable buying a $100 cooler then not having it fit.

Last edited:
If you're going to buy a new cooler than I wouldn't factor in your 140mm fans. That will just be a distraction from what is best. It sucks that you bought them without needing them, but it is what it is. If you can't return them maybe sell them on eBay.

Look up reviews and find what's best that fits your case and your budget.

Doesn't really have a budget.....?? Soon to purchase AMD 24 threaded chip???

Why are we talking about 50$ coolers at this point lol omg fp. :rain:

Build a custom loop. Learn, research and build.
You'll always have better temps and will likely be able to use it for many years to come.

EDIT: I can't fit the Thermaltake, it's 170mm tall, my case will only take up to 160mm. It does seem to fit the Dark Rock 4 which seems like a great cooler but it's at 159.5mm which is right there at the window I guess, man that is sick lol. I don't know if I'm comfortable buying a $100 cooler then not having it fit.

Not to nit pick, but there is a huge difference between Thermalright, and Thermaltake. one is great, and one is a turd :D

If it helps, Le Grand Macho RT is 159mm, so you have a whole mm to spare, might not sound like much, but it might as well be a mile.

It performs like a D14/15, but quieter, and without the hassle of clearance issues. Add a TY-143 to seal the deal ;)

And if you are brave enough, you can run it fanless, though I haven't tried because I like my overclocks, and my system is already quiet enough.

Wait a second, I came here just to see the replies and let everyone know that I found my cooler, the BeQuiet Dark Rock 4, and here is a guy saying it sux, what ta heck! Anyway, forget about water, no way I'm dealing with a pump breaking on me, and I sleep with my system, can't be hearing a fish tank at all times, no no.

So now, it's just about clearance issues (159mm with fan MAX), and I want more than 4 heatpipes, and one more thing, these things are all huge, I think my ram will be fine, but my mobo goes right to the top, I mean it touches the top of the case, and there are two fans on top, so I hope it can be positioned so that the fan blows up, cuz if it's sideways, I don't know if it'll fit into the Phanteks P350X with top fans installed.

I know I can't get any air cooler that has a 140mm fan, I've checked a few and none will fit, they are all 160mm or just a bit more than that. The Dark Rock and Pure Rock seem to be the right fit, with 135mm fans, and the former has 6 copper heat pipes, great stuff, but man I'm worried about fit. I guess I just have to bite the bullet and go for it.

The Grand Macho seems way too big, as do the D14/15s, but I'll look into that. But the regular Macho 120 seems perfect, except it's very wide, may interfere with ram or fan?

Back