• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my compressor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lotec25

I was at a junk sale today and picked up a small refrigerator. I took it apart so that i can make my water chiller. I am just woundering what i should do? Should i just hook it up so it runs all the time and just put a kill switch on it? or should i leave the adjuster for the temp? I am going to install the kill switch either way just not sure about the temp. I got a cooler from my local store. Gotta pick up so insulation tommorow for the tubbing and got to think of some way to mount the compressor. Any ideas you guys can throw my way will be very appreaciated.

Lotec25

Sorry i forgot to add the picture. Here it is.

Attachments

• apr11015.jpg
    apr11015.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 373
I use the same mini frig setup a while back . I just used the temperature adjuster that came with it . Just immerse the probe that is attached to the evaporator in your antifreeze solution . It will cycle your compressor correctly

Ill have to check the specs on the compresser when i get home.

jcsurg how cold did the one you have get. I cant wait to get it done i am hopeing it drops the temp alot. And everyone i talked to about the temp probe sayed to not put it in the liquid. I am going to install a switch that way it is easier to turn off. Anymore comments you guys can throw my way let me know. Anyhelp is very appreaciated.

Lotec25

Mine got to the -10 to -20 C range. You cpu will probably run at 0 C or above depending on the heat output and your water pump setup.

The temp probe is a capilliary thermo expansion device design to operate a mechanical electrical switch that you adjust with the knob. Of course you leave the Knob with the electrical switch outside. the probe end you can put into the fluid. It is better to let it run automically to maintain a cold supply of antifreeze at all times if you have good insulation, it does not use much power at all. If you plan to overclock with it and set a high FSB and you use a manuel switch as you paln to do . You will have to wait an hour or more to precool your solution otherwise your cpu will flake out or manuelly reset bios all the times. Remember that you will have to have 3 or 4 gallon if you want any reserve heat capacity to your system. These compressor are not designed to run all the time and the intergral design of the temp probe is design to shut off compressor once the max cooling temperature of the surround material is reached . Beyond a certain tempurature the phase change of of your refrigerant will no long take place ,determine by the design of your system, so you're just wasting your energy if you run all the time.

The only way your going to have instant on and off running is to convert it to direct die phase change cooling instead of water cooling

Last edited:
jcsurg,

Great ill run it like that. One more question. Should i hook fans up to the grill to keep it cool? Will it help or is it better to just leave it alone?

Lotec25

Fast420A,

I looked at the compressor the only things written on there are C-Q30L2A V 115 Hz 60 Ph 1 i attached a pic of the compressor hopefully someone will be able to tell more. Sorry for the bad pic got to get a new camera

Lotec25

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 329
The power rating was on the refrig case. Looks like my one from sears. The rating was about 1amp and about a can of r134a. A fan couldn't hurt. But unlike a small radiator condenser, it just get enough surface area from the tubing that being used for passive cooling without any fan

so then the fan is not needed. and i got a different cooler today to the one i had would only hold 2 gallons of liquid. the one i got now will hold 5 gallons. Thanks for all the help jcsurg. anymore tips guys?

Lotec25

you should use an thermostat an overload kit on the compressor if you want it to shut off use an timer like that is in an refrigerator they make an universal

Back