• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! GA-Z68-X UEFI (green, yellow, red lights - Corsair H80i fans on blast)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyons238

I need some help please. I have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard running UEFI bios. Ever since I updated to UEFI these 3 CPU monitoring lights I think they are?..are on all the way to red. I bleive this is causing my H80i fans to be run on full blast the entire time. Before this wasn't an issue since I had different fans on my cooler hooked up to my fan controller. But now I have the h80i, I'd like it to do the work...

Can someone help me solve this please? Thanks.

~Steve

Last edited:
Can you please be more specific about your motherboard? There are numerous models with the GA-Z68X moniker:

GA-Z68XP-UD4
GA-Z68XP-UD3
GA-Z68XP-UD3P
GA-Z68AP-D3
GA-Z68XP-UD5
GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
GA-Z68XP-D3
GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GA-Z68A-D3-B3

Can you give me the rest of your system specs as well? Power supply, processor, ram, Operating System, HardDrive/SSD.

Can you please be more specific about your motherboard? There are numerous models with the GA-Z68X moniker:

GA-Z68XP-UD4
GA-Z68XP-UD3
GA-Z68XP-UD3P
GA-Z68AP-D3
GA-Z68XP-UD5
GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
GA-Z68XP-D3
GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GA-Z68A-D3-B3

Can you give me the rest of your system specs as well? Power supply, processor, ram, Operating System, HardDrive/SSD.

sorry its the...
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 running UEFI Bios
Intel i7 2600k (Corsair H80i cooler)
Hitachi Desktar 1TB (Windows 7 drive)
Samsung 128GB SSD (Mac OSX drive)
G.Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz RAM
Corsair 750TX PSU
GTX670 (Custom bracket with Kuhler 620 on it)

So you just updated the UEFI Bios to a new version and the system works normally except that there are now lights lit up next to your CPU on the motherboard, and the fans seem very loud? Have you read the manual for your motherboard? What are the lights for?

I read through your whole manual, and found nothing about lights. Are these lights on your motherboard or your CPU Cooler?

If you're having motherboard issues and nobody here can help then I would suggest:

G.B.T. INC. - U.S.A.
TEL: +1-626-854-9338
FAX: +1-626-854-9339
Tech. Support: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw
Warranty Info: http://rma.gigabyte.us
Web address: http://www.gigabyte.us

As usual, email is probably their preferred choice.

GA-Z68XP-UD4
GA-Z68XP-UD3
GA-Z68XP-UD3P
GA-Z68AP-D3
GA-Z68XP-UD5
GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
GA-Z68XP-D3
GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GA-Z68A-D3-B3

I read through your whole manual, and found nothing about lights. Are these lights on your motherboard or your CPU Cooler?

If you're having motherboard issues and nobody here can help then I would suggest:

G.B.T. INC. - U.S.A.
TEL: +1-626-854-9338
FAX: +1-626-854-9339
Tech. Support: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw
Warranty Info: http://rma.gigabyte.us
Web address: http://www.gigabyte.us

As usual, email is probably their preferred choice.

the manual has them. their called phase LED's. i've red they have to do with power management or something idk...

and yes i updated to UEFI a few weeks back and noticed the lights came on but nothing changed. and like i said i used to have my fans on a controller until i got the H80i, which now are at full blast because i believe the motherboard is telling them to.

The mobo doesn't have an option to control the fans? Seems like it would. Most modern ones do, especially performance ones. You could try doing it with software within Windows.

I found this on another site, maybe I missed it when skimming over the manual. I don't know.

4) PHASE LED
The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs.

Ok, so apparently it's tied to the dynamic energy saver utility. Perhaps you installed that recently too or the new UEFI enabled the lights in it or something. Did they used to come on during POST and then turn off? Apparently now they stay on with the DES utility. My guess is that it's normal.

Your CPU could be running a bit hot if you OC'd it. Even if you didn't, if your cooler isn't mounted right or is just a loud beast that could account for your fan noise. Don't use hardly any thermal paste. I usually use a drop and spread it out. As long as it's not old and clumpy it should even out and spread to fill in the little pits on CPU and heatsink. Honestly, most people use too much paste I think. It really only takes a drop.

I found this on another site, maybe I missed it when skimming over the manual. I don't know.

4) PHASE LED
The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs.
thats it! but my cpu is not at 100% its at like 4% according to cpu meter...

The "phase" is just the voltage regulation for the CPU. It takes the raw output of your power supply unit and conditions it so that it is more steady/even for your CPU to use. The lights are just for show and they represent this process.

Last edited:
i want to get to the root of the problem though, what is causing this? my cpu temps are fine with the fan on lower speeds, but why is my motherboard acting this way? doesnt make much sense to me and wasnt like this before UEFI

Maybe the update disabled your boards version of Q-Fan or whatever. When overclocking, one usually turns off auto-fan controls in the bios, so perhaps the new updated version has this disabled by default?

My guess is that you need to uninstall and reinstall the Corsair Link software though. Something might have gotten screwed up somehow. Also double check any connections with the cooler (USB, etc).

Maybe the update disabled your boards version of Q-Fan or whatever. When overclocking, one usually turns off auto-fan controls in the bios, so perhaps the new updated version has this disabled by default?

My guess is that you need to uninstall and reinstall the Corsair Link software though. Something might have gotten screwed up somehow. Also double check any connections with the cooler (USB, etc).

my cpu is actually not overclocked yet. moreover, its not the corsair link because the lights were lit up before i even had the corsair. but they didnt affect me because i had my fans hooked up to my controller.

hmm. maybe i should try dropping gigabyte an email...

i appreciate the help though man. its people like you that have taught, helped, and made the computer im on even possible. i would have never been able to make a hackintosh without people like you lol. im no computer wiz by any means.

Wait, the lights...they're supposed to be on. It's just for show. Do they bother you?

The cooler running at full fan speed is an issue if it's loud. The lights shouldn't be a problem.

Wait, the lights...they're supposed to be on. It's just for show. Do they bother you?

The cooler running at full fan speed is an issue if it's loud. The lights shouldn't be a problem.

the lights dont bother me but they werent on before and i believe whatever is causing the lights to be on is causing the fans to be on high...

Back