• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help oc 640 Propus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
By way of preparation, start by downloading and installing our standard stress testing, monitoring and reporting tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

Then familiarize yourself with the process of attaching captured desktop images to your posts as we will be asking you to do that certain points. Practice with this assignment: post back with an attached pic of these three CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Here's how to do that:

First crop and then save the pic to disc. Cropping is important if the image includes a lot of irrelevant surrounding desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this if you have Vista or later. If not, you can use the built-in Windows keyboard stokes or download a freeware cropper/capture tool. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Last edited:
I already set the Memory as you can tell

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    45.7 KB · Views: 72
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Speed.PNG
    Speed.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 73
And this is 20 mins of Prime95 No errors

Attachments

• Prime95.jpg
    Prime95.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 75
Hey, you learn quick! Looks like TMPIN0 might be your CPU socket temp. Core temp and CPU socket temp are the two main temps we track.

Okay, the deal now is to begin increasing your FSB by 5 mhz increments. FSB might be called "CPU frequency" or something like that in your bios but stock is 200 mhz. After each increase, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check stability. The first time you fail, add .025 to your CPU voltage or "vcore" as we like to call it. Then retest. From this point on make sure you monitor the core and CPU socket temps with HWMonitor running while you are stressing with Prime95.

Before you do any of that, however, you must reduce your HT Link frequency and your memory frequency. Start the HT Link at 8x instead of 10x. Start the memory at 1066 instead of 1600 mhz. These two frequencies are tied to the FSB frequency and when you increase the FSB these other two get bigger as well. You need to make room for that growth. Just so you'll know, the Propus core CPUs have a pretty weak integrated memory controller (IMC) and I have not seen one that will do memory at 1600 mhz and be truly. stable. In my experience the most you can expect is about 1500 mhz. It isn't the ram that is the limiting factor but the CPU integrated memory controller. Do you understand what I am saying?

40 mins Prime95

I have successfully went up 50 mhz to 250 without having to make any adjustments
I am hoping to reach the 3.9-4 ghz area even though I have seen most people very happy getting 3.5 stable

Attachments

• monitor.PNG
    monitor.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 62
I tried 3.825 ghz but bsod 7 mins into prime95 does this mean increase my voltage

This is what I ended up topping out at stable wise. I think this is pretty good for a 640 propus. Are my temps ok after 2 hrs prime 95

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 64
  • monitor.PNG
    monitor.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 59
Be patient with the helping process. We are in different time zones and we all have other things going on besides this forum.

Concerning the stock CPU voltage it will usually be displayed in bios when you take the setting off of Auto as is the case with many other voltages and frequencies. You can also look in the section often called PC Health where temps and voltages are displayed. CPU-z and HWMonitor also display the current voltage so to check stock, fire up HWMonitor and look under "vcore".

Passing a 20 minute Prime95 blend run does not mean you are stable it just means you are probably close. To confirm stability you will need to pass the stress test for at least two hours.

Please post back with pics of CPU-z tabs "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Just the CPU tab does not tell us all of what we need to know. Looks like from your last CPU-z "CPU" tab pic you need to lower your HT Link speed. We also need to look at your NB and memory frequency at this point if you are encountering instability. You also need to reckon with the fact that motherboards have a limit as to how far you can push the FSB frequency. Inexpensive boards will often not allow over 250 mhz. Top end motherboards can let you push it to 300 mhz or more. Many things can cause instability when overclocking besides the speed of the CPU itself.

Trents I will post back with those screen shots. But I let it run prime95 for 4 hrs no errors So I am happy with the stability

Here they are

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 53
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Speed.PNG
    Speed.PNG
    34.5 KB · Views: 53
Looks good. If the HT Link is stable at that frequency then leave it alone but if you start to have problems then you might lower it a notch which would have no adverse effect on performance.

Just a few of suggestions: First, you might consider changing the CR from 2T to 1T which would have a small but beneficial effect on performance. 2T might be necessary if you were running the ram at the full 1600 mhz. Second, you might look at lowering the core speed multiplier and increasing the FSB in order to get a higher memory frequency. As I said, the Propus core CPUs generally won't do ram at 1600 mhz but they will often do around 1500 mhz. Lowering the core speed multiplier would enable you to keep the overclock of the CPU from exceeding stable limits while allowing you to advance the FSB and ram frequency. If you try this, better back off on the HT Link first and give the NB (or CPUNB) voltage a bump to about 1.25. The HT Link does not like to be overclocked much but the NB (CPUNB) will overclock nicely with a little voltage support.

Back