• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much is UTT speed binning worth???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think ocz is actually lowering the prices to get rid of the bigger competition because 104 is just silly for value vx(not binned). where is that price?

I think we would see this on ebay if sticks were only 10bucks in asia. Someone would do it ebay~!

Reefa_Madness said:
Malaysia I knew, Kuala Lumpur I would have had to guess...

You guys in Asia get some products way before we do, stuff like the TwinMOS Speed Premiums in dual-packs, to name one.

I remember a while back some guy from Malaysia was talking about the 512 MB sticks of KVR PC3200 with Hynix bt-d43 chips that he had just gotten. These things were running 2-2-2-5 timings. That's the only set that I've ever heard of doing that. I guess that's what freshly baked Hynix can do. Its stale by the time it gets here to the States.

Let us know if you find UTT for $10 and we'll start organizing a group buy. :)
kuala lumpur is the capital city, more or less (the acutal one is some ****ty place in the middle of nowhere).

bt-d43 @ 2-2-2-x? no way. 2.8v max wiht 255fsb at 2.5-4-4-11 is average. it also doesn;t like high voltages, so yeah, that's waht you get.

haven;t gonn a hunting yet.....:)

Reefa_Madness said:
One other thing I found interesting in that article was that the BrainPower PCB, as opposed to being a Premium product, is actually a low cost alternative that just happens to perform better in many cases. We now have a new memory business model (low cost IC + low cost PCB + low cost testing labor = high profit margin)...somebody somewhere is getting a big bonus over that one.

This is the impression I got way back, that BP PCB was used due to lower cost . . . but somehow things got twisted around.

And I agree with Felinusz: I got suckered into trying VX/UTT because I thought the stuff was BETTER than original BH-5 since all these CPUZ screenie junkies were claiming to be doing 270-275, 2-2-2. Well they should take a peek at the #6 or #8 tests, because the sticks are probably erroring out there. Bench 3D??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

As far as I can tell, my VX and TwinMOS SPs are maxing out exactly where my XMS3500 do, maybe a little less. I'm talking Memtest clean in #5/6/8. Moreover, they do so with less reliability, 3D stability, ability to run dividers, and compatibility than the XMS3500. I've one set of UTT that is Memtest clean at 255, 2-2-2- but ain't 3D stable anywhere.

Guys, we got taken by Da Hype again. :bang head It's all much ado about nothing, if you got quality BH-5. The new NF3/NF4 boards can simply take 2x512 of BH-5 farther than ever before.

BTW, a couple of months ago, $34 512 sticks of ADATA PC3200 came with UTT ICs. That would be the cheapest yet.

The new NF3/NF4 boards can simply take 2x512 of BH-5 farther than ever before.

I totally agree...and this would also help explain why the P4 rigs aren't hitting the same high fsb with the new stuff. Its not the ram...its the mobo chipset.

Indeed, if you look at widespread BH-5/BH-6 results across nForce2/nForce3/nForce4, most people's sticks go another ~8-15 Mhz higher in an nForce3/nForce4 board (it's more the Athlon64's on-die memory controller than the nForce3/nForce4 chipset mind you), versus where they maxed out on an nForce2 platform.

Reefa, my strong belief is that the Athlon64's on-die memory controller is what makes BH-5 fly for us. nForce2 and intel results are somewhat similar (seemingly depending on the memory PCB), and both use(d) a 'Northbridge' memory controller. Putting the memory controller on-die is one of the best things that AMD has ever done, in my opinion :)

With the DFI nForce4 board available to us, BH-5 is even more attractive, because we can easily give the ~3.6-3.8V needed to max it out. I'm making this statement based on the average price of BH-5 capable of ~250 MHz 2-2-2 - typically about ~$120 USD per half gig, give or take depending on the brand, and the stock speed (PC3200/PC3500).

Clevor

I got suckered into trying VX/UTT because I thought the stuff was BETTER than original BH-5 since all these CPUZ screenie junkies were claiming to be doing 270-275, 2-2-2. Well they should take a peek at the #6 or #8 tests, because the sticks are probably erroring out there. Bench 3D??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well said - I've also noticed that the 270+ MHz UTT CPU-Z screenshot is very common, most often with the proud poster making no mention of memtest86, or indeed any measure of overclock integrity testing for that matter :-/.

Using CPU-Z screenshots as a measure of memory integrity and overclockability, is like judging a book by the size of it's cover :D

felinusz said:
Indeed, if you look at widespread BH-5/BH-6 results across nForce2/nForce3/nForce4, most people's sticks go another ~8-15 Mhz higher in an nForce3/nForce4 board (it's more the Athlon64's on-die memory controller than the nForce3/nForce4 chipset mind you), versus where they maxed out on an nForce2 platform.

Reefa, my strong belief is that the Athlon64's on-die memory controller is what makes BH-5 fly for us. nForce2 and intel results are somewhat similar (seemingly depending on the memory PCB), and both use(d) a 'Northbridge' memory controller. Putting the memory controller on-die is one of the best things that AMD has ever done, in my opinion :)

With the DFI nForce4 board available to us, BH-5 is even more attractive, because we can easily give the ~3.6-3.8V needed to max it out. I'm making this statement based on the average price of BH-5 capable of ~250 MHz 2-2-2 - typically about ~$120 USD per half gig, give or take depending on the brand, and the stock speed (PC3200/PC3500).

Am I wrong or does most ram seem to work better on the NF4 than even the NF3...that is why I made the comment about the chipset.

I do agree with you that it starts with the A64 and its on-die controller, but it seems that stuff is working even better since the NF4 became available.

The temptation for new stuff is always out there. It seems that about the time you buy something a brand new product is released and the upgrade cycle starts again.

Even with all the troubles that people report with the DFI NF4...it sure is a tempting mobo...

Am I wrong or does most ram seem to work better on the NF4 than even the NF3...that is why I made the comment about the chipset.

I think you could well be right about that Reefa. :)

I was under the impression that the nForce3/nForce4 performance difference was because of Oskar Wu's BIOSes - because most of the really excellent results that we see are indeed from the extremely popular DFI nForce4 boards, which seem to do much better than other manufacturer's nForce3/nForce4 offerings (such as the lamentably popular MSI K8N Neo series).

I haven't seen any comparisons between DFI nForce3/nForce4 boards, but such a comparison would prove interesting, as both boards have 'magic' Oskar Wu-made BIOSes. :)

Yes, the NF4 does run ram significantly better than NF3. Here, 'NF4' means DFI Ultra-D and 'NF3' means Neo2 Plat/9NDA3+. However it also depends on the sticks.

2x512 TCCD might do 300, 2.5-4-4-7 at 2T at best on NF3. On the NF4, many sticks can do well beyond 300 at 2.5-4-3-6 at 1T. 300, 2.5-3-3-6 is virtually impossible on the NF3 even at 2T.

2x256 TCCD can do 300, 2.5-4-4-7 at 1T on the NF3. They can do 300, 2.5-3-3-6 with ease on the NF4.

Polygon over at RebelHaven can vouch for these observations.

My first set of LEs gained only 1 mhz going from NF3 to NF4 at 2.5-3-3-6. On the other hand, my PQI gained 33 mhz!!! :eek:

And of course, the ease with which the DFI NF4 board can provide up to 4.0 VDIMM is a major factor in BH-5/UTT overclocking.

I find the DFI NF3 S754 board overclocks BH-5 at least as well as it's bigger NF4 brother (255, 2-2-2-5 at 3.22), but it also runs ram much better overall: Ballistix, EB, OCZ Golds. I got all of them to max out at fastest timings at only 2.8-2.9 VDIMM (around 252 at -2-2-/-3-3-). Unfortunately, my early board is saddled with a 252 mhz wall on the ram.

it's not fair comparing a dfi ultra-d to a neo2 platinum.

with my dfi UT i've gotten 300mhz 2.5-3-3-7 1t with tccd, and 270mhz 2-2-2-6 1t with bh5

Crimedog

it's not fair comparing a dfi ultra-d to a neo2 platinum.

Which is why I wonder if the chipset (nForce3/nForce4) really makes a huge difference... the Neo2 was a far more popular nForce3 board than DFI's nForce3 offering, and as such most of the results we have to compare with are from non-DFI nForce3 motherboards :-/.

I was under the impression that the nForce3/nForce4 performance difference was because of Oskar Wu's BIOSes - because most of the really excellent results that we see are indeed from the extremely popular DFI nForce4 boards, which seem to do much better than other manufacturer's nForce3/nForce4 offerings (such as the lamentably popular MSI K8N Neo series).

Last edited:
Felinusz, remember the DFI UT3 is a single channel S754 board. The DFI NF4 and Neo2 Plat/9NDA3+ are S939 dual channel. Quite different.

I am pretty sure Crimedog's results at 1T are with a single 512 MB stick or 2x256. I recall it was very difficult to run 2x512 at 300HTT, 2.5-3-3-6 at 1T on the DFI 250GB UT3 board.

If Crimedog is indeed running 2x512 at 300HTT, 2.5-3-3-6 at 1T, then DFI must have upgraded the NF3 chipset in their later UT3 boards by quite a margin :eek:, because many of us see a 252-255 limit no matter the ram, particularly with the old CO step Clawhammers.

On the Abit S754 board, the NF8, I could do 271x9, 2.5-3-3-6 with TCCD, 2x512 at 1T, and the 3DMark2000 scores with a variety of ram are about 500 points higher than the DFI - even though the DFI is running 2x512 BH-5 at 245-250, 2-2-2-5! Not sure what's responsible for the performance decrease in this benchmark. I have the Epox S754 board up now (the VDIMM mod is easy to get 3.4 volts ;)) and this will be the tiebreaker; I should have the video drivers installed tonight and first thing I will run is 3DMark2000.

So yup, finally took my DFI NF4 board down!

crimedog said:
you are correct reefa, nf4 > nf3. i've been tempted to go nf4 since it came out because of that :(

Did you get those Corsair sticks over at XS? Calling dibs on ALL the bh5!

I'm never going to talk to you again, you dirty dog you :).

I just missed out on that.

This lucky dog picked up a 2x512 set of Corsair PC3500 bh5 stuff for $150 today. Dang! What a deal!

Reefa_Madness said:
Did you get those Corsair sticks over at XS? Calling dibs on ALL the bh5!

I'm never going to talk to you again, you dirty dog you :).

I just missed out on that.

This lucky dog picked up a 2x512 set of Corsair PC3500 bh5 stuff for $150 today. Dang! What a deal!
he lowered the price on the tccd too $160 shipped.
hope its stil there at 2am when hardley anyone is at the 7-11 as witn..... err nm

Back