• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much RAM does your primary computer have installed? 2013 Version

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much RAM does your primary computer have installed?

• < 2 gig (I give my page filing a workout)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - 3.9 gig

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 4 - 7.9 gig

Votes: 41 11.5%
  • 8 - 15.9 gig

Votes: 131 36.8%
  • 16 - 31.9 gig

Votes: 137 38.5%
  • 32 - 63.9 gig

Votes: 33 9.3%
  • > 64 gig

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when they didn't even mention the RAM. TRS80 Model III -- yes, I am that old!:clap:
The TRS-80 Model I came with 4KB, 16KB, or 48KB of RAM. The TRS-80 Model III came with either 4KB or 48KB of RAM.

I guess I am even older. I had the TRS-80 Model I. I started with 4KB and upgraded to 48KB.

Only 48KB of RAM max could be used because the lower 16KB was reserved. It was used for memory mapping to hardware such as BASIC ROM, keyboard, and video.

Lil update for me.

16gb G.skill Ripjaw Z 2133mhz on the main rig
8gb G.skill Ares 1600mhz on the HTPC
incoming 16gb for the Server, 4x4gb patriot mamba black 1600mhz. 91$shipped.

Currently 16Gb (2x8gb) G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1866
Adding another 16Gb to have 32 total within the next 2 months

On a Surround/Eyefinity platform?

3 screen gaming ( and desktop usual thing ) wont use that much RAM. I barelly used 5-6gb of ram out of my 16gigs on my main rig.

He must be running VMs or working on some big 3d rendering or any similar workload.

3 screen gaming ( and desktop usual thing ) wont use that much RAM. I barelly used 5-6gb of ram out of my 16gigs on my main rig.

He must be running VMs or working on some big 3d rendering or any similar workload.

Yeah I meant towards doing some type of simulations/rendering/editing on 3 screens.

I personally use up anywhere from 6-8 with BF3 open or tabbed out with a bunch of tabs open online.

Tried to upgrade my 24GB to 48GB but then I looked at RAM prices and bought a 2nd graphics card instead

-_-

Saying I have 48GB and you only have 8gb

XD

Why do you have 16?

I have it for ProE, MathCAD, AutoCAD, Abaqus, and other assorted engineering software.

I've seen over 8GB in use before, running multiple ProE windows, multiple Word documents, and massive Excel files and 10-15 internet tabs. That's a normal night of homework for me.

I currently run 8gb, and do not use it all. However on my next build I will go with 16gb just because of how cheap ram is and a bit more future proof.

Actually, I think RAM has been going steadily up in price. It used to be ~$60 or so for 16GB. I got mine for $80 a few months ago, and that was on sale. Now, you're lucky to see a decent kit for <$100.

I have it for ProE, MathCAD, AutoCAD, Abaqus, and other assorted engineering software.

I've seen over 8GB in use before, running multiple ProE windows, multiple Word documents, and massive Excel files and 10-15 internet tabs. That's a normal night of homework for me.

Sounds like some typical engineering Homework.

I'm running 32GB and I have yet to come any where near using more then 15% of it. But the year is young and this next semester means SolidWorks 2013, and maybe that will use some of it.

Sounds like some typical engineering Homework.

I'm running 32GB and I have yet to come any where near using more then 15% of it. But the year is young and this next semester means SolidWorks 2013, and maybe that will use some of it.

Don't worry, you'll get on up there sometime!

I run 24GB of ram in my main rig mostly because i build and compile entire embedded versions of linux(using the openembedded platform) and like to build as much of the OS in ram as possible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back