• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I beg your help!! Network IP problem..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milad_sm

Hi people...
I work in a department from a huge governmental organization.
My work depends on the net. I need to download large files from the net.
My admin blocks my IP once in a while (remotely) and when I ask him why, he says I am infected with a virus. I have run Norton Managed antivirus...meaning they do have control over everything. I got desparate asking for help from the admin. So I am turning to you guys.
I am not infected with any virus...I am sure of it. I have double checked with Panda online scan, MCafee and of course norton AV itself.
I tried this today....I used another NIC! It changed my IP address....and so I could connect to the net. but this lasted only a few hours. I don't know what is the problem.
How can I change my IP address without having to change my NIC?!?! I don't have many NICs!!! Please help me people!!
Admin does not help me, cuz they are busy and it takes a LOT of, and i mean A LOT of paperwork and queue for them to come to my desk. Thanks people.

most of the time you will actually renew to the same IP address you started with, unless the IP you had was conflicting with another...

best bet is to find out your IP scheme and then don't use DHCP, ping an address that is within the scheme...use one that has no response...this should work for a while although I would want to find out why he is locking you out of the network

also, who is your network admin if he/she allows users to install NIC cards on their own?? (most admins won't allow that one)

if the ipconfig method doesnt work make sure you can ping your Host....do you have a default gateway and subnet mask??? does your ip come up 0.0.0.0

hi y'all.
thanks...

amm..i am reading the links...meanwhile, i tried the ipconfig thing, but the release command needs more parameters...i tried some stuff, but couldn't make it work...tell me how please!! but again, it wouldn't change an IP...would it?

i'll have to try ManOfKnight's way. i like that idea.
but one thing is, i don't know if i can ping...can i? i can't access the intranet...why's that?? i could, before...even when i didn't have access to internet...i could go on intranet.
my LAN doesn't work either...i don't need it anyway.

as to the other Q, i work in the vid editing dept...so, i have lotsa control over the PC...i can open and modify it easily and the software is on my own as well. so i am the admin myself on my rig.

one more thing i tried was to do use this...someone told me about:
net stop dhcp, net start dhcp, reboot.
didn't work...but could it be a hint?

ammm....sorry, but how to disable dhcp?!! is it the service?? is it just one service?? thanks alot.

DHCP is what assigns you an IP..ive put in a manual IP before for a cable modem roadrunner specifically and it worked fine just make sure you put the right defsult gateway and subnet mask and you have to know your hosts ip and what ranges of ip in that ISP is open...

geee! you make it sound so easy...but it's NOT!!
i can't tell the admin i guess, right?
this is NOTHING illegal people...no wrong ideas...i am just trying to do more!! as i said, it's a government office...everything takes place so slow you can feel your hair growing...
I am just trying to be more efficient here!! no one appreciates it, but i don't care. i want my job to be done faster so i can get to other things.
So...the problem still persists.
I am still being controlled by the big admin...or the nodal.
how can i find out about open IP range? and...how about gateway and subnet?
as i said it's a HUGE networks...i donno how many thousand systems are on it. they have their own sattelite and connect directly to the net.
i once saw one of them checking WINS settings..i know nothing about it. but now, the settings are cleared. hint??
i am really blur at what's going on over the cables...please help me.
as i said, i can't connect to the LAN either...i donno the workgroup name...it's default: workgroup now.
so...thanks! please don't hesitate people...it's really important for me. thanks.

To list the options with ipconfig type: ipconfig /?

There is a graphical version of ipconfig called Wntipcfg
Wntipcfg.exe: Windows NT IPConfig Utility
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

By default after installation Wntipcfg will be located at: C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WntIpcfg.exe

On a large network unless you are running DHCP the admin must give you the IP addesses, net mask, and name server, etc. values. If the admin will not give this information out they are obliged to configure your machine for you. If the admin does not then he is a moron since that is his job. There is no way anyone on this forum can give you this information since we do have any of way of knowing it.

I think you are going about fixing your problem the wrong way, it isn't a technological. A word of caution, continuing down this path can get you further in trouble because you are 'bypassing' security measures set against you. You risk your job doing this.

You said you have tried talking to him, have you tried face to face? It is much harder to dismiss you in person then it is over email or phone. Remember to be diplomatic, understand that this is his job to protect the network. If you can't meet with him or it is unproductive goto your boss, if it has lasted any length of time I'm surprise you haven't made him aware of it, make it clear its impactive your work productivity and see if he can do anything on his end, remember he's management and has authority.

no no no...you are getting it wrong.
you see, i have my boss behind me. trust me i don't wanna get fired!! my boss is supporting me and he is aware. no worries about that.
it has to be on DHCP, cuz none of the PCs i have seen have Ip's set for them. it is DHCP i am sure.
so...my questions persist.

about the admin, you are right. he IS a moron alright.
but can't do anything about that. i don't even know where he IS! i only have a number from his office... anyway, the problem is he knows NOTHING. he just blames it on the virus. i am sure as i said, that i have full updates of everything. again, i have realised it has NO use talking to him...besides, whoever i have talked to so far, knows less than me!! i know **** about networks and i know more than them. i really donno who hires them.

thanks about the wntipcfg...but isn't it for NT? i haven't tested it yet...i will.
you think releasing and renewing IP would help??

milad_sm said:
thanks about the wntipcfg...but isn't it for NT? i haven't tested it yet...i will.
you think releasing and renewing IP would help??

wntipcfg works fine with my Windows XP Pro system. When I have to troubleshoot my internet connection with my ISP I have to connect directly to my cable modem. This requires me to to unhook my router. Sometimes I have to use wntipcfg to release my old IP address to force it get a new one. In any case it does not hurt for you to try. You might get lucky and and it will start working again.

About the Virus. How does he know you have a virus from his end? Some Viruses get email addresses from address books. Someone else with your email address in their address book could have sent an email with your name as the sender without knowing it. Besides why should you have a virus anyways. Doesn't your network have a corportate license for virus software on each computer that scans for incoming and outgoing emails on each computer? Some networks go a step further and strips attachments from email coming from outside the network. This eliminates a lot of viruses.

Do you have both MCafee and Norton AV ior have your tried them seperately? Running both at the same time could cause problems. How are you getting virus program updates. Unless you are up to date then a new virus could get through and you would never know it. Again this should not be your problem. The network admin is resonsible to keep the virus programs up to date.

I dont know that much about networking.... but even with your boss behind you it does not sound like you are doing the right thing. You work in a goverment office? and you have 1000+ sytems on your network. You keep trying to get around all the security they have setup. All that stuff is setup for a reason.

if you can't help, don't try to sound smart by being Mr. Right.
I have told before that this is nothing illegal and it's all to circle around tedious bureacracy and to save LOTS of time.

and yes, they do have an server antivirus and i was also running their client. i donno how it works...but i think that's how they think i have a virus. i really donno. they simply say you have virus and say ask your it dept to fix it and hang up. that's all the response i get. and my it dept, is even worse...i don't wanna talk about them.
i noticed their virus def is not very up to date and so i got norton myself and it is very up to date.
i tried mcafee and panda. both up to date and showed no virus.
MisterEd, i ran that ipconfig, and it doesn't change the IP...how do i force it to use another IP??
thanks, i didn't know i could use that in XP!

milad_sm said:
MisterEd, i ran that ipconfig, and it doesn't change the IP...how do i force it to use another IP??
thanks, i didn't know i could use that in XP!
If you tell it to release you IP and after that is done to renew it then it should get a new IP address from the DHCP server. Sometimes it acts stubborn and does not want to release. I can usually after several tries force it to cooperate.

MisterEd said:

If you tell it to release you IP and after that is done to renew it then it should get a new IP address from the DHCP server. Sometimes it acts stubborn and does not want to release. I can usually after several tries force it to cooperate.

The problem with going about it this way is that 99% of the time when you do a release, and then an ipconfig right afterwards, you get the exact same IP address. There isn't anyway to make the DHCP server give you a different address. My guess is that they have him locked down at the gateway, where he can access the internal network, but just can't get past the gateway to the net.

VaTech, you sound closest, except I can't access LAN either.
actually, i never use it anyway...could be that I haven't even set it up yet! cuz the workgroup is the default (workgroup)!
amm...what can i do at the gateway?? i must say that there is no gateway config in my network setup...doesn't that mean that my network doesn't use one?
what is ipconfig /flushdns??
i haven't tried it yet. someone told me to try it.
there MUST be a way...cuz i can access the net using another NIC. would it help if i uninstall/reinstall the NIC?? or does the NIC look at the physical address? (I donno what i am saying! but...that's what i am thinking!)
somebody should know how to change the ip from the NIC level!!
it sounds very simple i guess......what's the setting!
i'm gonna try to release the ip and restart and the renew...does that sound logical?!! i don't have access to the pc now. i'll have to try it later.
cheers ppl.

Well, chances are that the admin blocked your MAC address (think hard coded physical address). With that being said, the only way you would be able to access the internet would be to change your NIC (because you would have a different physical address). Depending on how they have the network configured, you still might not be able to get out to the net. I know where I work they physically add your mac address to the network. This prevents people from trying to do what you want to do.

Good luck though.

milad_sm said:
VaTech, you sound closest, except I can't access LAN either.
actually, i never use it anyway...could be that I haven't even set it up yet! cuz the workgroup is the default (workgroup)!

you're on a network with 1000's of people, and you're in a workgroup???

Back