• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I beg your help!! Network IP problem..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I understand you right, you are saying that an administrator is blocking your computer occasionally because they think you have a virus, even though you have scanned your machine several different ways and come up clean, right?

If that's right, then you cannot solve your problem by replacing the NIC, or changing your IP address. Those solutions avoid the problem, or make it even worse by attempting to circumvent the security policy (bad idea).

The correct solution would be to call the IT department up, and tell them your situation, that you are being occasionally booted off the network, because they think you have a virus, and let them figure it out. That way, they fix the problem, which is their job, and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

If you had to troubleshoot it manually (and had the authority to do so), I would suggest installing something like ethereal, and watching what traffic your computer is causing that looks virus-like. (If you know how to do this).

thanks guys for trying to help.
the problem is still there.
su root, i know you are busy to read from the beginning, but to summurize, i am hopeless of the admin as they are truly useless and simply don't care.
anyways, the net is up now..somehow...i am doing my work. i am very confused.
but as long as it is working, i won't care! so...i'll just stop bugging you guys for as long as this thing is working!! hehe!
thanks again.

Actually, I did read the entire thread, but I guess I missed that part :-/

If it ever stops again, I would confront the admin and ask him exactly why, and what activity he is detecting that is virus-like.

Glad to hear you got it working though. :D

thanks bro...
i will confront him for sure...i am in the queue now!!! lol
those people are inaccessible! too arrogant you know?!
but heck! it's those at the end i have to face anywayz.
thanks again.

Does the admin block YOUR IP specifically? He may be blocking a whole subnet or something, and so not only turns off your internet, but also others. See if anybody else's goes down when yours does. If it does, it likely means that somebody else has the virus, and that's why he's saying that.

Only solution to that would be to remove the virus off of some unknown person's computer (...not fun...), bypass the DHCP and get an IP outside of your subnet (...can get in big trouble for it...), or find a different way to connect to the net.

JigPu

Back