• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kind of annoyed with my ppd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Just added this big boy.... (3070 Ti)

card4.jpg

To replace a 1080Ti. However my production is the same as it was most of the last week. Looks like it is due to getting a good series of WU over the last week and sucking now on WUs since I put it in Friday night.

Latest drivers? How's it doing thermally compared to the 1080? I've noticed my 1080s really like airflow across the backplate when in tight quarters.

Latest drivers? How's it doing thermally compared to the 1080? I've noticed my 1080s really like airflow across the backplate when in tight quarters.

Yep, I have 2 machines (one with 4 cards and one with 2 cards), and both have the 511 drivers installed. I'm looking at the WUs and I'm seeing them bounce around in PPD based off of the WU, so I think it is strictly luck of the draw righ tnow. The PPD on the 3070Ti bounces betweek 3.5 and 4.8M ppd, and the 1080Tis bounce between 1.5-2.3M ppd based on WUs.

Yeah that pretty much lines up with my experience lately and I'm pretty sure I have the closest setup to yours on Team 32. (P2000, 1080ti, 1080 and 1070 in a rackmount case, 3070 in the Alienware)

WUs are becoming less homogenous as other projects ramp back up now that the moonshot has a candidate going to trial. Like you said, luck of the draw. :shrug:

This is a long shot since presumably the previous 1080 was working fine, but it *did* negotiate to x8 @ 8GT/s, right?

This is a long shot since presumably the previous 1080 was working fine, but it *did* negotiate to x8 @ 8GT/s, right?

This is out in my garage, but I did a quick check in the house and all 4 reported 8X for version 3.0. I'll check the garage the next time I'm out there.

I'm reporting from HFM 19m ppd from 8 GTX 1080 SC's, 2 RTX 2080's and 1 RTX 3080, that will change from WU to WU :)

Garage system has both cards listed as 8X for version 2.0. Older motherboard.

Win 10 on both machines. I also use the garage machine to control my CNC router, so I need Windows on it.
Well that is unfortunate if you have to run the CNC that often...You can't dual boot? Not only does Ubuntu produce more % wise but has a consistently higher PPD WU supply.

What does the CNC require for PC HP? You can't run a $50 Pi or something? The google answer doesn't seem to be much...

CPU: An Intel Celeron CPU is the minimum requirement, with an Intel Pentium CPU recommended. For AMD systems a socket FM2+ or newer CPU is recommended. RAM: 2GB of RAM is the minimum requirement, with 4GB of RAM recommended. Hard Drive: Very little hard drive space is necessary.

I'll think about it. The CNC controller doesn't need a lot of processing power.

Hmm, just got an update that is about twice as large as normal, with 3 times the WU count. I guess some WUs were a little delayed in giving credit for them.

3080 Ti arrived today. First WU was going between 7.7M and 8.2M PPD. Current WU is 5M PPD.

Well that is unfortunate if you have to run the CNC that often...You can't dual boot? Not only does Ubuntu produce more % wise but has a consistently higher PPD WU supply.

What does the CNC require for PC HP? You can't run a $50 Pi or something? The google answer doesn't seem to be much...

Well, follow up on this. My PC that was controlling the CNC crashed about 3/4s of the way through a 10 hr program. I'm not sure the reason, but I've got a reasonably powerful W10 desktop computer that is too small for anything other than a compact video card. I just got a KVM switch and I'll set up the small one as the controller and install Linux on the folder, since it won't be doing anything else. I'll also move 2 3080Tis into it.

What is a good easy install these days for Linux folding?

Well, follow up on this. My PC that was controlling the CNC crashed about 3/4s of the way through a 10 hr program. I'm not sure the reason, but I've got a reasonably powerful W10 desktop computer that is too small for anything other than a compact video card. I just got a KVM switch and I'll set up the small one as the controller and install Linux on the folder, since it won't be doing anything else. I'll also move 2 3080Tis into it.

What is a good easy install these days for Linux folding?
I just did a 20.04.04 install yesterday...about half an hour. Though I already had the USB from a prior install. If you do a minimal install , you'll need to add in the nvidia drivers. Which is only 2 or 3 terminal commands and a reboot.

If you just do the full install the nvidia drivers should be there for you to select. Yesterday was a minimal install , my prior was a full install. It is up to you. I think from now on I'll do a full install so simple apps I need like a txt editor are readily available. I uninstalled everything I did not need. I used a 510.** driver. My older install has 490's. The 512's did not pop up.

Terminal driver install ...

Last edited:
Back