• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lexan case..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xargon

Registered
i am going to make a lexan case, but what thickness is good

1/4 would cost me around $100 for all i needed

3/16 about $60

1/8 about $44

and thats all cut to the size i need

is 3/16 good enought for a case?

hrmm well i knew about that thread what i was asking will 3/16 be good to use in a case its thicker then 1/8 but not 1/4 (less espensive to!!)

BTW- I reccomend you go to a local mom and pop hardware store (not a big chain) and see if they have any scrap plexi.
I got a 52x36inch sheet of 1/2 plexi for 10bux!

lexan = polycarbanate plexi = acrilic

please read the thread mentiond above to see what i mean

Fushyuguru said:

lexan is as far from plexi and acrylic as what youre sitting on is from a hole in the ground.

From everything that I've read, lexan and plexiglass are the same thing. Yes, acrylic is different, hence "!=" (not equal to)

Lexan is a higly refined polycarbonate glass. It uses extremely specialized poly strands that have a exceptional modulus of elasticity and can withstand large impacts and high torsional stresses without deformation. Its used as an opticly clear bulletproof glass and as a lamenated secondary high impact armor in military applications (behind the reactive gelpacs of the M1 Abrahm Tank is 3/4" of laminated Lexan variant).

Plexi cannot do any of this. Thats also why its much cheaper. Its a poly, but its not lexan. Its like comparing an el camino to a humVee. The el camino is more closely tied to that 84 dodge truck over there because of their applications.

To answer the actual question originally stated...

PolyCarbonate

1/8" will be fine as long as all of your edges meet. 1/8" is still rather flexible and has a moderate amount of give unless you secure it properly. This is also the standard thickness and is easy to get ahold of a Home Depot in the window/door section.
It will be under the BRAND NAME Lexan.

1/4" would be required if you were constructing a case the size of a full tower.

1/2" would be ideal for bracing pieces since it is thick enough to be tapped for screws.

Acrylic is too weak for case construction. It's original usage is for application that require optical clarity, low material weight, and scratch resistance. The sheets available at hardware stores are only meant for use in greenhouse construction. This is why the sheets are exceptionally brittle.

Lexan brings 2 words to mind... Nalgene Bottle. Now that's quality you can drink from!

Sorry off topic... I'm an outdoor nut.... :)

Yeah Lexan got a lot of notice when it was used in vietnam in chopper windows. As stated above, it's capable of taking massive impacts and not breaking.

Question, why have you chosen lexan of plexi? (not questioning your choice, just curious)

cwb27 said:
Question, why have you chosen lexan of plexi? (not questioning your choice, just curious)

Once you've TRIED cutting drilling or tooling Acrylic you'll understand why people like me prefer Polycarbonate.

Acrylic melts easily, it leeches toxic fumes when heated (which gave me the nastiest headache of my life), and it's prone to fractures under stress.

However, Polycarbonate is fun to tool and is very receptive to it IF you use lower cutting speeds.

THere's no real difference in price and most places that sell one also sell the other.

Back