• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

List your most fun or favorite CPU overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because it was really the first platform that took the fun right out of overclocking. For example, you just set your CPU multi and raise your core voltage accordingly. Two step overclock is way to simple for my liking.

Then you want a Phenom X4 at 3+ GHz or a Bulldozer. LOL Maybe an old 939 to pencil mod.

Ah, understood. Well, theres always memory subtimings tweaking if you're into a challenge:cheers:

Because it was really the first platform that took the fun right out of overclocking. For example, you just set your CPU multi and raise your core voltage accordingly. Two step overclock is way to simple for my liking.

Yup, pretty much every new intel looks like yawn. Sure its nice to have the latest and greatest, but this is a hobby, and they took the fun out of it. I might try an AMD setup. Its been about a little more than a decade for me since I've rolled with them.

I was late to the show with my AMD FX setup. I read a guide and several threads of others asking for help, and just set it to 4.5GHz. I never really pushed it or spent any time experimenting with it. One of these days I'd like to find time to reset the BIOS & try to push it from scratch. I seem to recall all the possible good overclocking 83xx series had been binned out to feed the FX 95xx market when I bought mine.

Well, from hearing other folks recommending help on newer setups, theres some vvcaio, ring bus voltage, some other stuff, seems interesting. All I do on mine is tweak vcore and vtt. Sometimes dram if j want to try hopeless run at tighter timings or higher ram freq. Everything else I keep on defaults, stuff like ich ioh..I guess I'm still recent. I'll go grow a beard at least.

Well, from hearing other folks recommending help on newer setups, theres some vvcaio, ring bus voltage, some other stuff, seems interesting. All I do on mine is tweak vcore and vtt. Sometimes dram if j want to try hopeless run at tighter timings or higher ram freq. Everything else I keep on defaults, stuff like ich ioh..I guess I'm still recent. I'll go grow a beard at least.

I'm 41, Canadian, and I still cant grow a decent beard. Its going to be -40c tonight, and I just shaved. My wife bought meatballs tonight that have virtually no meat in it. These are strange times we live in. I'm so hungry.

man, it's a real toss up between amd phenom II 965BE and amd fx8150.
the 965 was my very first home build that sat as a door stop in my downstairs office for about 6 months because I could never get it to boot, finely found a tiny screw trapped behind the motherboard and bam, it was up and running.
that cpu I got up to 4.5 ghz on a 2x120 aio cooler I still have running now.
traded the cpu off and the new owner made over well over 6 ghz with ln2.

at the top would be the fx8150. the first time I even saw a bios, blew up a few cheaper boards pretty fast but with you folks hand holding me we got it up to 5 ghz and I learned to overclock and identify a motherboard that would stand up to me.
and as has been said, lots and lots of buttons to push and knobs to turn, didn't gain you much but great gobs of fun for us weak minded fools!!!!!

I'm 41, Canadian, and I still cant grow a decent beard. Its going to be -40c tonight, and I just shaved. My wife bought meatballs tonight that have virtually no meat in it. These are strange times we live in. I'm so hungry.
I wish I had room to add this into my signature... hahahahaha!!!!

22111_soft_taco_supreme_269x269.jpg

Agreed my 2500k/2600k are both mindless to OC. My 2500k is locked at a 53 multi toboot, which it will run all day long at with a CM 212+, benching only, not stable for 24/7......If I go 1 mhz over 5300 and it wont even post....it's so frustrating.

Last edited:
If I go 1 mhz over 5300 and it wont even post....it's so frustrating.
This is the only generation I know of with a hard multiplier wall. But yeah, one muilti works, teh next doesn't... that was your sandybridge. ;)

This is the only generation I know of with a hard multiplier wall. But yeah, one muilti works, teh next doesn't... that was your sandybridge. ;)

Honestly, we have had this conversation before ED, I had such high hopes for the 2500k because I had not known the multi "hardwall" existed. I figured I could bench all day long at 5.3 with Air I was going to do 6.5 ghz with Dice :rofl: It is so frustrating seeing the blinking cursor at any Mhz past 5300.

Indeed we have and that is the nature of those chips. Outside of that, there was a bit of bclk that can go on top, typically, but that was limited to around 103 Mhz give or take.

core 2 quads, My first water build. Q6600 specifically. Went through 3 MOBO's, and 3 graphics cards. Never could get to 3.6ghz, only 3.4 stable. Lasted for 8 years and is now my HTPC. Still running 10+ year old pump, rad, and cpu block (w/ adapter plate) on my i72600k

I still think I am cool since it has 8GB of OCZ Reapers, one of the first to have raised copper heatpipes plated in nickle. Wonder if some of the fastest ddr2 is worth anything, lol.

Favorite GPU was also my first under water. 8800GTS, I was lucky and had one of the highest clocking GPU/MEM.

This thread takes me back to some early days when life was simpler.

I still have fond memories of getting a screen shot of my Celeron 566 running at what we thought was insane speed and it was done on air too. Had to do a volt mod by wiring socket pins together. Ah, those were the good ol' days.

CPUZ 566-1054.jpg

This thread takes me back to some early days when life was simpler.

I still have fond memories of getting a screen shot of my Celeron 566 running at what we thought was insane speed and it was done on air too. Had to do a volt mod by wiring socket pins together. Ah, those were the good ol' days.

View attachment 204851

That's classic/epic. LOL The idea of volt modding with a pencil is what got me interested in OC. Fortunately, it wasn't necessary by the time I got around to it, Or I couldn't find a pencil. Something like that. :D

Back