• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Xaser III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, they seem to come and go, don't they?
They're up now, but who knows for how long?

What can I expect with a free host site?
Not much, apparently.

isnt it about time this thread became a sticky? its an excellent source of reference

I finally got my new mid-case fan partition installed.It has 2 BLUE LED,s mounted in the glass to give a fiber optic effect.Looks choice and very blue.I came in this morning and MOBY was at 32° C.FOLDING. Next project is to get a better view thru the window.This crazy thing doesn't let you see the mobo.But thats in the future. THE FANMAN:cool:

You and your cold temps on that CPU there. *shakes fist yelling lucky ********

If you want to try something new guys reverse the fan on the Heatsinks. You might be amazed with a temp drop. Did that with my setup and dropped 2-3C doing that, and even more when I turn my fan up higher. Much more then actually blowing on heatsink. I know arch has the SP-94 so you might want to try it man.

deathman20 said:
You and your cold temps on that CPU there. *shakes fist yelling lucky ********

I'm pretty sure that luck wasn't a factor here. A lot of thinking/experimentation/modification probably lead to this result.

I'm down to 34C folding..I want those last 2 degrees!

Edit: Just realized that you are running an Intel chip, FanMan. I feel better now that my AMD ain't really that far off.

Well hes running it less voltage then I am and probley has that fan at a higher setting then I'm willing to fan since its loud at near full speed.

Guess its time to start playing around for other results if I want to get more oomph for my buck :)

Anyone got some Cardboard?? ;)

DM20,I dont run my fans at full speed.My stock case fans only put out something like 32 CFM.So I put my 92mm Enermax that I used to run on my SP-94 HS,in the front lower hole in the case.It is inline with the next fan.The next fan is in the mid-case fan panel.This keeps the Vcard chilly.I run the HSF @ approx.2800rpm.
MAX. is 3450rpm.Yea, I'm running 1.6 Vcore & 2.7 Vdimm .:D I'll give the fan a turn,the next time I clean my fans .In 2 weeks.You guys need to check your fans blades to make sure they are clean.When the blades get dirty, you loose the efficientcy of the fan.Keep um klean to get the flow.THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: I'm a conservative old fart.:D I try not to run any of my equipment full bore.Not now days.Blew up my 1st car.Lucky it only
cost $75.00..I'm @ 25% OC of my chip. :p

Last edited:
well its been a bit of time sence i posted in this post. so i thought i would update yea all on things.

not much has happended...its only 6 days till x-mis day and i been infourmed i am not getin anything for my computer till jan

but.... my dad is given me a few thousands of dollors....and all of its gona go to my new computer.

but for now i been comein up with new ideas to mod the case and other things like that. i been spendin some time over at a university. they have been letin me use some pure gold for heatsinks and some other metels for testin stuff....cant keep any of the stuff tho. i will report back with more info later ....

ok i am tryin to stay on coolin and modin the case. but i am getin the xaser III case for my computer.

but i am getin everythin the best i can get.

i been lookin at that 9800xt vidocard by ati ...it looks nice with the fan on it. but ...i still gota wait for the money. till then.

Wiz James

GTac02 hes also in Canada there is a nice price difference there from say the US. So there is more we can put into our cases then he could. Then again 2G's is quiet a bit to begin with. You getting a monitor too??

BTW if anything you could save $100+ or so by getting a 9800Pro if money gets tighter.

Yea, like I have said before.We dont realize how good we have it here in the USA. There's more competition here, lower prices.
THE FANMAN:cool:

Last edited:
yea the usa does have lower prices even after u take canadain money to us. but i am getin everything right down to the moniter

and to save money i am getin every thing in janaury. for some resion every thing is cheeper then.

Wiz James

Just a little update folks...

I have finished a week's worth of testing on my fan that blows on the back of the CPU socket.*
It's almost a tossup whether it should bring air in or suck it out, but blowing in gets the nod (barely).
I got pretty consistent differences of 1 to 2 degC with it blowing in. I suspect that this has a lot to do with the proximity of the wire mesh filter on my side panel. With the fan sucking through this filter the CFM is undoubtably comprimised, but it is drawing some air and pushing it into the gap between the wall and the mainboard.
Reverse the fan and I think that the backflow renders the fan much less effective.
Either way, the fan makes a difference of 2-4 degC to the CPU temp, so I still recommend this addition.
Were I willing to mount the fan externally on the outer face of the sidepanel ( thereby giving it some breathing room) I think the results would be even better, but aesthetics prevent this arrangement.

*Although I made no effort to stabilize room temps, over the course of the testing I think any variations probably evened themselves out, so I'm fairly confident in the validity of my conclusions...

clocker2 said:
Just a little update folks...

I have finished a week's worth of testing on my fan that blows on the back of the CPU socket.*
It's almost a tossup whether it should bring air in or suck it out, but blowing in gets the nod (barely).
I got pretty consistent differences of 1 to 2 degC with it blowing in. I suspect that this has a lot to do with the proximity of the wire mesh filter on my side panel. With the fan sucking through this filter the CFM is undoubtably comprimised, but it is drawing some air and pushing it into the gap between the wall and the mainboard.
Reverse the fan and I think that the backflow renders the fan much less effective.
Either way, the fan makes a difference of 2-4 degC to the CPU temp, so I still recommend this addition.
Were I willing to mount the fan externally on the outer face of the sidepanel ( thereby giving it some breathing room) I think the results would be even better, but aesthetics prevent this arrangement.

*Although I made no effort to stabilize room temps, over the course of the testing I think any variations probably evened themselves out, so I'm fairly confident in the validity of my conclusions...

You have pic's on this thread? yes?

Yes this is the case.

clocker2 said:
I have taken a slightly different approach to cooling my XaserIII.
The fans that come with the case didn't impress me much, but they were quiet, so I decided to make them site specific rather than worry about general case airflow.
Here is wher I ended up ( after dozens of different configurations)...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/041203-mini-Trifan.jpg.jpg
The two fans on the caseback are blowing in, directly onto the Zalman HSF unit.
The fan on the right is pulling air out ( and up) and ultimately throught the roof vents ( which have been radically expanded to hold two 80mm fans...although further testing has shown that the roof fans are unnecessary, the openings work just as well without he fans).
Here is a shot of the roof...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-mini-New roof.JPG
The large grill in the very back vents the 120mm fan which is mounted to the PSU.
Here is the motherboard wall which has two 80mm low-profile fans ( and the bulk of the wiring) mounted. The fan on the left blows onto the belly of the HDD and the fan on the upper right blows onto the back of the CPU mounting socket and chipset...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/041203-mini-Twinfan.jpg.jpg
All fans are running on 5v.
With this arrangement I get idle temps of 32-35C (depending on ambient) and load temps about 2-4 deg. higher.

How loud is this puppy?
Really cool mods on this case .:attn:

Last edited:
Back