• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Xaser III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually, a hole saw would only have been better if you could have arranged for a backing plate and a drill press.
Not easily done with the top panel in place.
I agree that Dremels have their place, but cuts like yours are more easily accomplished well with a jig saw like you used.

DOH,
Looking at your pics again...
May I recommend that you clean up the wiring holes in your motherboard wall by rounding them up and using a grommet.
All the sharp raggety edges and thin fragile wiring makes me nervous.

DOH, You asked me how my HDD was standing up,or what is holding it? I used some thick, wide,doublesided sticky tape.The blue fan in the lower front,used to be my HSF. It's my Enermax 92mm. I'll be cutting a slot down the back edge of the new partition to let air go behind the mobo.Clocker how's your progress coming?ZGOZZ, Welcome to the thread. THE FANMAN:cool:

Yea ,dont get your hopes up to high with all of the X-mas packages in route.But hopefuly you'll get it soon! Then we can get some final pics.SOON..Just pulling your leg,DOH, THE FANMAN:cool:

Well, I found a 45deg PVC plumbing fitting that closely approximated the central cooling tower that I had in mind, and with a bit of duct tape and a spare fan rigged it up to see how it worked.
Not so hot.
No real improvement and it was ugly to boot.
Soooo,
Back to square one.
Removed the 120mm fan from the case floor and moved it up above the motherboard.
Now we're getting somewhere.
I've only been running this setup for about 30 hrs., but idle temps have dropped into the upper 20's/low 30's (right now it's exactly 30C). My longest Folding session so far was 4 hrs. long and CPU temp maxxed out at 33C.
231203-newfanrig.jpg

I'm likin' this arrangement so far....

Was the floor fan not working for ya?

Can we get a whole case shot, like the whole inside?

BTW: clocker2, i love that image resizer you showed us.

DOHCrazy said:
Was the floor fan not working for ya?

Can we get a whole case shot, like the whole inside?

BTW: clocker2, i love that image resizer you showed us.
Yeah, the Mihov is really easy to use, isn't it?
The floor fan was okay, but moving it up made a bigger difference.
I'll take a full interior shot in a few hours...

Hi All,
I've been following this thread for awhile. Today I drilled the holes in the plexiglass to a 9/32 size in the kitchen sink while spraying water on the drill bit so the plastic didn't crack, and I also cut out the top blowhole & installed a 120mm fan . The case temp fell from 28.1 to 25.3. My CPU is at 45*C with a Volcano 10. I have a Volcano 12 & AS5 on the way. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
ZGOZZ: Its pretty easy man, alluminums pretty soft.
As you should know, hot air rises, and with the X3 stock fan config there is too much air disruption, thats why we are trying to get a one dirrectional flow, or atleast only having air leaving from the top.

Clocker2 and Arch are almost down to ambient temps, which is VERY good on air cooling!

kwikgta: An Sp-97 would be sweet on that 2700...
Can we get some pics?

DOHCrazy said:
ZGOZZ: Its pretty easy man, alluminums pretty soft.
As you should know, hot air rises, and with the X3 stock fan config there is too much air disruption, thats why we are trying to get a one dirrectional flow, or atleast only having air leaving from the top.

Clocker2 and Arch are almost down to ambient temps, which is VERY good on air cooling!

kwikgta: An Sp-97 would be sweet on that 2700...
Can we get some pics?
So all fanes are pionted inward and the top is the only way out?

Sorry, I don't have a camera. I already have the Tt V12 on the way, so I'm gonna give it a try first. But I'll keep it in mind!

This is a snap shot of temps .

Top fan out
2 front and side fans are in.
2 back out.
Power suply is pulling air from top also and pushing it out.
I guess this would be the stock set up.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,029
ZGOZZ said:

So all fanes are pionted inward and the top is the only way out?

Yup...

Originally posted by ZGOZZ Top fan out
2 front and side fans are in.
2 back out.
Power suply is pulling air from top also and pushing it out.
I guess this would be the stock set up.

Try turning the two back fans into intake and see what your temps are.

Also, see what your temps are with the side 2 fans off. And with the side two fans off with the back 2 fans as intake.

Try to find your best setup, turing fans around isnt hard at all!

Also, have you cut any grills like in the begginning of the thread?
You could also take out the 1 or maybe 2 HDD cages you arent using, but its all up to you.

Back