• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard curse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine are the same model, PC-8500 1066MHz. I'm using 4x1GB with no problems. If you ever do get them to work, the voltage needs to be set at 2.2v for them in the bios, otherwise the bios will most likely see them as being 800MHz (even says so somewhere in specs).

Also, check your bios, see what version you are running.

Ahh nailed this one :D

It's more likely that just one or two of the sticks are bad though if jkeyser14 is running ballistix in his board. Hopefully this is the case and you can just RMA the bad stick(s).

Well, I think I've identifed at least 2 sticks that are giving me problems. I'm not sure what is happening, because all 4 seemed to work on the DFI 680i board I had.

However, I have two that will boot up in a computer here at work and two that won't boot in at least 4 different computers I've tried. So I'll take the two that are working back home and try them one at a time. If they both work I'll RMA the two that aren't. I'm pretty sure I've had them less than a year.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm currently running the 0601 bios, which I believe has some extra DRAM compatibility upgrades in it. And I've got plenty of fans and places to mount them for active cooling on the RAM.

I'm currently running the 0601 bios, which I believe has some extra DRAM compatibility upgrades in it. And I've got plenty of fans and places to mount them for active cooling on the RAM.

The reason I asked about the bios is that I know some people have been having problems getting their ram to work correctly. It will work in their system until they upgrade the bios, then they lose compatibility, or vice versa. If it still doesn't work, try downgrading to different bios versions.

The reason I asked about the bios is that I know some people have been having problems getting their ram to work correctly. It will work in their system until they upgrade the bios, then they lose compatibility, or vice versa. If it still doesn't work, try downgrading to different bios versions.

Ok, final verdict looks like there may have been a possible incompatibility with the 0203 BIOS, but I definately had a problem with my RAM. I'm not sure the exact cause, but 2 sticks work with my new motherboard and 2 sticks don't. The two that don't also won't work in any other motherboard I've tried (4 others). I've RMA'd those two and put the two working ones in my Asus X38 board. I'm already up to 3.2Ghz with no problems or instablities. Given the performance I'm getting, I'm thinking that the 2 bad sticks may have been bad for a while, and I just didn't know it. I'm actually getting better performance folding than I was before the move.

I've got an interesting problem with this board.

I've got a DVD and a DVD-RW combo drive hooked up to the single IDE port on the P5E. On boot, only the DVD drive is recognized, and if I reboot, then the board will see both drives, and allow me to use both drives in windows. Any suggestions? I've updated the bios to the latest version that's on the ASUS website, and it still does this weirdness...

Specs:
ASUS P5E
Intel 8400
1900 in Crossfire
Soundblaster Audigy
4 SATA hard drives

That is a weird problem VF-19. I'm not sure what to suggest though. I'm currently all SATA, including my one optical drive.

That is a weird problem VF-19. I'm not sure what to suggest though. I'm currently all SATA, including my one optical drive.

Well, I'm going to keep banging away at it... I'm willing to bet it's some obsucre thing in the bios that's doing it...

My DFI board before this would self re-boot (I turn it on, and when I go to turn it off, it'll turn on) if it had been cut off from power for a while.

This might be a bit late but I've had memory slots go bad on a DFI motherboard before. At first I thought it was the RAM which made things most confusing. Perhaps you could find one good RAM stick and place it in each slot for testing. I did get a beep though, one loooong beep.

New symptom... When I plug in a key to put in microSD cards, the second DVD rom drive dissapears... This is really really weird...

Teaboy, is this all possibly the result of bad RAM like you're suggesting?

New symptom... When I plug in a key to put in microSD cards, the second DVD rom drive dissapears... This is really really weird...

Teaboy, is this all possibly the result of bad RAM like you're suggesting?

I was suggesting that the RAM slot was bad not the Ram itself, but I could be wrong.

It's a bit of a mystery tbh. Sorry if that's not much help. :(

Back