• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My second OC'ing project. FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wonder how that memory would work with my current setup? Think it would be better than the Ares. It has some tight timings, but at 1600.

Poco what you could also do is, stalk the classifieds for benching Ram, though it goes really really quick, thats where I bought my G.Skill 7-10-7 2133's. Another option is Ebay, you can find used ram that is a bit on the older side that run tight timings. I've seen DDR3 1600 up 2133's that were decently priced. You may only be able to find 4g kits but for benching that's not an issue. For my AMD setups, they like tight timings over high speed. I've seen older OCZ kits that run 7-7-7 1600 or 7-7-6 1600 go for like $35.00. Those kits should be able to do near 2k with near cl9 timings. You jsut need to be diligent in staking, as it seems the newer ram is more geared towards higher Mhz.

Time to lay down the law.....wish me luck :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: you'll need more than luck poco, maybe a tranquilizer gun to get her off the ceiling.

Yo Scottie, mount these in the warp discumbobulator. Then we rally shake'em rivets.

Humh! This is some interesting shett cummed up outen duh woodwork from hiding.

http://www.directron.com/996981.html
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) Dual Channel Desktop Memory 996981, 7-9-8-24, 1.65V

RGone...ster.

I ran my snipers at those timings at 1800 and still couldn't get him.

My office/Puter room is my only sanctuary left!

That's right poco the only chance you have is to fill that room full of all kinds of weird stuff that she's afraid to touch. Worked for me and Manny ( hydroponics) :rofl::rofl: I still laugh about that :clap:

Just put a bid in on some G-Skill DDR3-2133 CL8-9-8-24. That is the fastest I can find right now. I think it is going to go high. It is only 2 - 2gb sticks though. I kind of like my 8gb.

Just put a bid in on some G-Skill DDR3-2133 CL8-9-8-24. That is the fastest I can find right now. I think it is going to go high. It is only 2 - 2gb sticks though. I kind of like my 8gb.

Man hit don't matter if you have enough ram to do real work with...like BClinton said it is the benching tupid, the benching tupid. Hehehehe. :rofl::rofl:

RGone...ster. :chair:

Man hit don't matter if you have enough ram to do real work with...like BClinton said it is the benching tupid, the benching tupid. Hehehehe. :rofl::rofl:

RGone...ster. :chair:

Guess who Poco was bidding against on Ebay? :D :chair: Maybe I should have kept my trap shut. ;)

Can you say... Bidding War !!

My buddy in the brown truck brought me new cooling fans :clap:
Naaa all yours, I need more sticks like a need a hole in my head.

Nice that you have a buddy with a brown truck ;) The guy that delivers here I'm on a first name basis with I see him so much!

Ah hah. Community ram. Split the cost hehehehe.

That bidding is funny as hale.Me is RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I thought the same Bobert , I just sign in and there's a message from Manny. All I could do is laugh :rofl: You had the right idea share the wealth.

Well the fans were a bust. I hooked them up and my Thermaltake cooler would not spin them up above 1750. I guess it only likes Thermaltake fans. I then looked up the fans the cooler came with and found out they were actually a higher CFM then the ones I put on. oops ;) They are actually 99CFM, so back on they went. I put one of the new ones in the side cover blowing on the VRM's so it will still help. I have a home for the second one.

I thought this was interesting. The P State for x20 multiplier on my CPU is supposed to me 1.325v. Here is a HW monitor and CPUZ shot at 20x while running prime. Well below what they say it should be. The CPU is in full auto mode with all of the green crap on, so maybe it is normal. :shrug:

The minimum and maximum voltages shown were before I ever started prime. While running at 100% on prime the voltage goes up and down a little, but never close to 1.325. Usually just a small step up or down from the voltage shown.

Attachments

• Pstate HWM.PNG
    Pstate HWM.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 34
  • P State CPUZ.PNG
    P State CPUZ.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 34
The CPU is in full auto mode with all of the green crap on, so maybe it is normal.
Exactly why Poco.

Just to inform the RC club the sticks went for $150+ way too pricey for my taste.

If these G.Skills were 2133 RipjawsX 8-9-8 then it was BBSE kit. I bet you can find some other BBSE cheaper like 2000 9-9-9 ADATA X also in 2x2GB.
If it's for AMD then you can look for 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9. Should make 2000 8-8-8 or something near.
From newer kits anything on double sided Samsung HCH9 or HYK0 will be also good so generally Tridentx or some RipjawsZ at tighter timings ( 1600 CL7, 1866 CL8, 2133 CL9, 2400 CL9/10 ).

Prices for these 2x2GB kits are sick just because they're not available anymore except auctions and new memory is higher density so generally have more relaxed timings what means worse for benching.

8GB modules are pretty bad for benching on AMD or at least I had no luck with any of them when I had FX8120/8320.

Recently I got 2x4GB TridentX 2600 CL10 that probably was RMA replacement but new unpacked with label manufactured in 2012. You just won't get that in the stores anymore as all series have been replaced with new IC so even though I have lot of memory kits around I just couldn't resist. If not shipping costs then you would see me selling RAM more often on classifieds.

Last edited:
Back