• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My second OC'ing project. FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 9370 may be a possibility, but the more I read about the 9xxx series chips the less I like them. It just seems like the potential gains are not there. More so in the big dog 9590. I do know I will have a good loop setup to push my 8350 before I even think about anything else. Still have lots to learn :)

Rgone, I think this is going to be a bad spring weather wise. Just the number of tornadoes already is frightening. We get some up here, but nothing like you guys in the south. Keep your head down !

I don't regret buying mine poco, after I got to know it it's a great CPU and compared to my little piggy 8350, it was a huge difference. But in fairness the 8350 you've got there looks great so in the end it would probably be a wash. Besides we've seen some real dog 9xx CPUs come through here so it's still the same lottery.

I have read the the 9xxx series were just cherry picked 8xxx processors that would reliably OC to get what they get. Any truth to that, or are they that much different?

I have read the the 9xxx series were just cherry picked 8xxx processors that would reliably OC to get what they get. Any truth to that, or are they that much different?

Yes that's essentially what they are and chosen for specific qualities. Some of them are real gems like the one Hilight picked up but there are some real dogs as well. We've seen stock VIDs now from 1.48 to 1.537. So as you can see you're starting out at a very high volt/temp to start with and some that just won't clock worth a pee once you get past their rated speeds. Luck of the draw is all it is.

Imagine if they listed the P states on every box. How nice would that be :)

Wouldn't that be nice. I think that's what a lot expected from the 9xxx CPUs not the VID on the box but a realsweet azz clocker that takes less volts/clock that the original 8xxx series but we have seen here from experience that AMD didn't bin them that way. It really is a shame actually, they may have been able to keep a better price margin if they had a 5.0 cpu that was air cooled like the original rumours about the " Centurion"

It really is a shame actually, they may have been able to keep a better price margin if they had a 5.0 cpu that was air cooled like the original rumours about the " Centurion"

I don't remember AMD matching their "hype" in quite a few years. And now nothing for us die-hard AMDites to use as a honking new discrete cpu.

Saving my pennies now for Socket 2011 "type-ish" Intel rig. Whenever they get settled again into a socket that will last more than a single cpu.
RGone...ster. :bang head:bump:

Last edited:
I don't remember AMD matching their "hype" in quite a few years. And now nothing for us die-hard AMDites to use as a honking new dicrete cpu.

Saving my pennies now for Socket 2011 "type-ish" Intel rig. Whenever they get settled again into a socket that will last more than a single cpu.
RGone...ster. :bang head:bump:

Don't I know it you can count on wind in your sails with all the hot air they put out.
So if you go with a 2011 does that mean the smart dozer is going to change?

That freekin rocks poco :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Was the crushed bulldozer intentional, do I have to ask :clap::clap:

Rgone, if you go that rout, I have a new avatar for you-

I will have to copy and save that. No doubt about it. NICE.
RGone...ster.:salute:

attachment.php

I have 2 more 95 cfm fans coming tomorrow. I am going to throw them in this weekend and see if I can do some more playing with this FX. I want to go to my hugest known stable OC (4.8ghz) and see if I can't tweak a few things to get better benches out of it. Play with HT link speed, Higher FSB and lower multi, whatever.

Need to update sig to show the ram you have in it now. Test and tune is always the name of the game once one gets pretty close to max speed.
RGone...ster.

I have 2 more 95 cfm fans coming tomorrow. I am going to throw them in this weekend and see if I can do some more playing with this FX. I want to go to my hugest known stable OC (4.8ghz) and see if I can't tweak a few things to get better benches out of it. Play with HT link speed, Higher FSB and lower multi, whatever.

Don't know how interested you really are in benching but..... I could bench right around the 5.2 mark with the TT aio 2.0. Just throwing that out there poco. As long as you keep an eye on temps and such you're fine. Benching isn't nearly as demanding as running P95 for stability :chair:

When I had it ad 4.9 and 5.0 I just did bench tests.

About what core v did you run at 5.2? I did try to start at 5.1, but got a BSOD on startup. That was with my voltage set at 1.481. I BS code was 124, so from what I have found, I need more core v or possibly NB v.

Also if you have a Cinebench score for that speed I would be interested to see how I compare. Or at any other speed. I have no reference other than my own scores.

Sig will change RGone. I forgot about that.

As for voltage , every one is different but you'll definately need more than that to do cinebench 11 and 15 is a bit tougher so needs a touch more. As for scores I don't have anything handy ATM but check this thread for subs from our monthly competition. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734118 that was a cinebench competition and I think I still had the AIO then. Also there is hwbot.org you can search subs base on equiptment and speed. Here's a comparison of FX 8350 below 5.2 http://hwbot.org/search/submissions...&_imageAttached=on&_videoAttached=on&offset=0

Also here's my link you can check anything you like under my submissions but it only shows the top scores http://hwbot.org/user/johan45#My_Submissions

Just be careful trying to chase Johan. I almost sent my mobo and CPU up in smoke trying to chase his Cinebench R15 score. I didnt run out of voltage, I hit a thermal limit even after I turned thermal protection off.......

Also if you get cinebench R11.5 to run it may not run R15. If you get R15 to pass two runs then you will have no issues running R11.5.

Back