• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My second OC'ing project. FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
By golly I think we may have gotten it correct. I just read those two phrases to my wife and she TOO rolled her eyes. I think it is safe to say that rolled eyes, must really mean YES. Hehehe.
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whoo hoo I finally got something right bouncing_clown.gif

Whoo hoo I finally got something right
attachment.php

..........Clown Alert>
attachment.php
<Clown Alert.........

poco3.jpg

RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gonester maybe you can EDIT the pstates and add poco's to the list? EDITTED
Thanks RBobinator!

Come on boys rolled eyes always means yes, no, Um yes!

Poco you want to see rolled eyes, this was my first unsuccessful attempt to run my loop through a Dry Ice/acetone mixture. Which only succeeded in freezing the loop instantly. My wife saw it and was like WTF is that, some kind of hydroponics experiment?
View attachment 143219
View attachment 143220

Last edited:
A loop like that is what I was thinking of doing. Not too keen on the stinky acetone though:) What froze? Was it just the loop, or the acetone? Dry it is about -109 F, but acetone should be good to almost -140 F

It froze his loop full of antifreeze and water. I think Manny found it difficult to find a decent middle ground for the amount of DICE needed for a certain liquid temp.

It froze his loop full of antifreeze and water. I think Manny found it difficult to find a decent middle ground for the amount of DICE needed for a certain liquid temp.

I do believe he found that the old "american" adage of >> If some is good then more is even more better << was not so true with acetone and DICE. I think he might get it sorted but man it took a long time to thaw when it was once frozen. That makes experimenting hard.

RGone...

EDIT:
If my memory serves me correctly, a bud of mine once put his DICE under his coils in a large cooler and the coils were close but not submerged in DICE and that was good for -50 ish temps if memory is accurate.
END EDIT.

There were two problems with my little experiment, the biggest being the putz that was putting the DICE in the bucket. I'm not very good a "hitting things with a velvet hammer", sledge hammers work best for me. Second was not enough antifreeze in the mix. As Johan said I was having a difficult time finding a middle ground. It worked fairly well adding a little DICE at a time and the dice/acetone mixture was around -6c. I wanted it colder so I put another chunk of dice in about a 2 1/2 lb chunk and it sure did get colder, my thermometer only goes down to -60 and then gives error codes. Well I was getting error codes and then I heard the sound the pump makes when the loop freezes, so that was that. Upon thaw, I tried it again adding a little DICe at a time but never succeeded in getting the temps of the DICE/Acetone mixture below -6c. I haven't had a chance to give it a go again, my feeling is what RGone mentioned may be a better alternative. Just putting crushed dice in the bucket alone and having the coils sit on the DICE. It may lead to better cold management, only time will tell.

Maybe run isopropyl alcohol for your coolant? It is good to over -125 F. Not sure how well it would work unless it was in a sealed system because it would evaporate off pretty fast.

Polypropylene tubing is not affected by Isopropyl. That stuff is cheap and easy to find. As long as the impeller in the pump could take it. That would be the key. Any Walgreens should have 99% Isopropyl. If they only have 40%, it is not a true solution and you should be able to freeze the water out of it. More messing around, but it should work. I have read were people have used denatured alcohol as a coolant. Iso would be about the same, just not as messy or smelly.

Any thoughts?

You'd really want to know if the pump/seals could handle it.
You know giving Manny ideas like this isn't always a good idea Poco. :rofl:

You'd really want to know if the pump/seals could handle it.
You know giving Manny ideas like this isn't always a good idea Poco. :rofl:

I absolutely concur on that putting IDs in 'manny's' head. Not so goot at times. Hehehe.

Green A-freeze uses alchol to promote no freeze as does the Orange A-freeze. The difference is in what is used for A-corrosion resistance. Green A-freeze has a good deal of silicate in it and can influence seals where as Orange A-freeze does not use silicates like the Green A-freeze.

With the type pump I use, the Orange A-freeze and pump have been submerged and working over 7.5 years to date and still pumps like a bandito. Hehehe I doubt a little alchol would hurt my pump type since the impeller is plastic and not so tightly confined by the housing. My thunking. YMMV, including one's thinking.
RGone...:screwy:

Ya sure it probably goes like this
Hush little proceesor don't say a word , daddy's gonna but you some alcohol and if that alcohol doesn't freeze Daddy's gonna bring you to your knees :rofl::rofl:

Hush little proceesor don't say a word , daddy's gonna but you some alcohol and if that alcohol doesn't freeze Daddy's gonna bring you to your knees :rofl::rofl:

LOL Johan that was great!!!

Johan, now that is funny :)

I have been looking it up and I think it will be fine. Mag drive pumps have no seals except the O ring and that should be Viton or silicone. Both can take Iso, but Viton is better.

If AMD don't give us a discrete cpu soon and we all move to Intel...the RC boyz won't be much welcome is my guess. We don't fit the freeken mold. Hehehe. :salute:

RGone...ster. :bang head :bump: :chair:

Back