• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help OC'ing Amd x2 4000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomasethphia

Registered
Hi guys i need help in OC'ing my amd x2 4000+ my mobo is nvidia Nf-mPC61 or some such and tried tweaking the bios and i can run at around? 2.3 ghz can you tell me any other adjustments i can do to my bios to get more

Last edited:
Simply put one needs to start at the starting place. The starting place is really the same no matter the setup/configuration.

Not just a single fish for a meal but Fishing Lessons by "trents" for a lifetime of meals.
With those CPUs you would need to be concerned with these things when overclocking:

The first thing would be to download the overcclocking software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

The next thing to do would be to check core and CPU temps at stock frequencies and voltages to get an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have from a temperature standpoint, which is the main limiting factor.

To check those stock condition temps: Open HWMonitor on your desktop and adjust the slider and frame so you can see the core temps section and the voltage section. Leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. When that is done, attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface with your next post. To attach a pic, first crop and save the image to disc using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon which will load the file browser and upload tool. The rest is obvious.

Next you need to be able to:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.

Then In bios, you will need to be able to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

thomasethephia, you may not have C6 and Turbo in your bios as those were later power saving "green" technologies that began to appear with the Thubans and the Bulldozer CPUs if I'm not mistaken.

thans for the tips guys as per the bios i have been able to find the bus freq and the ht multipliers. not sure abt d others like cpu voltage cuz in my bios i only fiddled with the integrated pheriperals option

oh and also when i tried to oc bfore i got it at 2.5 with just adjusting d cpu bus freq to 235 and ht to 3x but temp readng got up to 70c wc gt me reli worried. backd it up to stock nw and running temp is around 50c stock cooling running on idle

tomas, your temps were indeed getting too high. If you are running 50c at idle then it is evident you have very little room for overclocking before temps get to the dangerous level. I'm sorry but I cannot recommend overclocking for your system. Are the ambient temperatures very high where you live. Forum participants who live in hot climates are always at a disadvantage when overclocking unless they have AC.

got it back to default settings and i am checking on core temp and the readings are almost the same as when i Oc'd it to 2.3ghz
core #0 - 42c
core #1 - 46c
Guess i may need better cooling or abandon all hopes of OC'ing and just get a new procie and MOBO any advice on which i should get with the least amount of cash as possible?

So, let's make sure we are on the same page about temperatures. You say after downloading and installing the recommended software your core temps were 42/46. Is that a "load" temp or an idle temp. When we talk about checking the temps we mean have HWMonitor open on the desktop while you are running a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Is this what you did?

hi thanks for clearing that up i ran the test with prime 95 and checking on core temp my temps got to 67 - 68 on both cores

is there anything i can do to bring these down also note that the test i did was on all stock settings cpu freq 200 ht - 2x

What you need to be doing is screen capturing just the HWMonitor and attaching it to the forum so that we can see what is what. Writing numbers is no sufficient at this time.

As 'trents' said you need to be running P95 in blend mode with HWMonitor open on the desktop and logging min/max volts and cpu temps for sure. Not a bad idea to also capture the CPU TAB, MEMORY TAB and SPD TAB of CPUz software and post those 3 captures of just CPUz itself and not the whole dang desktop.

alright im really new here so sorry for this stupid question can you guys tell me how to include those screenies so i can show you guys.

The info in that link must be dated as it seems the format of the forum has changed. No mention of the Go Advanced button.

Tomas, to attach images to your post, first crop and save the image to disk using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories (if you have Windows Vista or Windows7). If you are still using Windows XP then download a freeware screen capture tool like Greenshot: http://getgreenshot.org/downloads/

Then, click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window on the forum page. When the Advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will bring up the file browser and upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

It does appear you will need a better CPU cooler if you are to overclock from the information you have shared so far about your temps.

thanks i wl do that once im dne wd chkdsk' gt an error frm wndows that a file is corrupt or missng' i heard sm where dt theres smthn i shud do to the hd so it wont b affctd by the oc

Back