• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I need to be somewhere and I'm running late. I'll get back to you later. In the meantime, please take lots of pics of your bios tabs and their screens for me to refer to later. Please upload them in a post or if the upload is too large in several consecutive posts.

I did it now as you said before
CAS latency 5.0
Command promt 2T
lower multiplier to 14.0
set BUS to 244

Since I lower the multiplier I could Up DDR to 667

Also I up the HT to 4X

Attachments

• New Picture2.jpg
    New Picture2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 92
Memory looks good. Is it stable? I still wonder about your HT Link. It looks too slow. Can you give me some pics of your bios so I an spot the place where HT Link might be adjusted? Some bioses won't allow you to adjust the HT Link speed independtly from the NB speed and if that is the case with yours then it might be good to leave it alone as your NB speed is right about where you want it. NB might take one small bump. Pics of bios please.

Last edited:
Okay, I downloaded your board's owner's manual from Biostar's web site and it gives pictures of your bios areas. The terminology Biostar uses is unusual but it looks like this would be the adjustment for HT Link speed:

K8<->NB HT Speed

It looks like from post #61 you may have already figured that out.

As I look at your setup and the CPU-z screen shots, I believe the K8<->NB HT Speed is at 4x when on Auto. 200x247=976. I think with your setup the target speed is actually 1000 mhz not 2000 as I said before. Your board seems to express some parameters in half terms and others in double terms when compared to most other motherboard products I have worked with. So with your setup I'm thinking a 1000 HT Link Speed is the same as 2000 on a lot of other motherboards. You could go to 5x but that might create instability and would not give you any better performance. On top of that it looks like you have a bios that will not allow you to manipulate the NB speed apart from the HT Link speed.

I would sit still on what you have now if it is stable. I think you have a nice balance now between CPU speed and memory performance. Run Prime95 and CoreTemp at the same time for at least 1 hr. to check for stability and temps. Don't let your core temps exceed 55-57 C. If they do, you need to look at taking off some vcore and/or reducing CPU overclock speed. If your room temps are hot during the day, test it in the cool of the morning. I like to test when room temps are about 20-21 C or less.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Memory looks good. Is it stable? I still wonder about your HT Link. It looks too slow. Can you give me some pics of your bios so I an spot the place where HT Link might be adjusted? Some bioses won't allow you to adjust the HT Link speed independtly from the NB speed and if that is the case with yours then it might be good to leave it alone as your NB speed is right about where you want it. NB might take one small bump. Pics of bios please.

Okay, I downloaded your board's owner's manual from Biostar's web site and it gives pictures of your bios areas. The terminology Biostar uses is unusual but it looks like this would be the adjustment for HT Link speed:

K8<->NB HT Speed

It looks like from post #61 you may have already figured that out.

As I look at your setup and the CPU-z screen shots, I believe the K8<->NB HT Speed is at 4x when on Auto. 200x247=976. I think with your setup the target speed is actually 1000 mhz not 2000 as I said before. Your board seems to express some parameters in half terms and others in double terms when compared to most other motherboard products I have worked with. So with your setup I'm thinking a 1000 HT Link Speed is the same as 2000 on a lot of other motherboards. You could go to 5x but that might create instability and would not give you any better performance. On top of that it looks like you have a bios that will not allow you to manipulate the NB speed apart from the HT Link speed.

I would sit still on what you have now if it is stable. I think you have a nice balance now between CPU speed and memory performance. Run Prime95 and CoreTemp at the same time for at least 1 hr. to check for stability and temps. Don't let your core temps exceed 55-57 C. If they do, you need to look at taking off some vcore and/or reducing CPU overclock speed. If your room temps are hot during the day, test it in the cool of the morning. I like to test when room temps are about 20-21 C or less.

Let us know how it turns out.

yes I set k8<->NB HT Speed to 4X At manual
It run at 976MHz

And about that temperature I have problem..,
it run above 55º but never reach 60º with prime95
I test at least half an hour it got stable..,no crash..,no restart
but really high at temperature

If i set shutdown option in BIOS at 65º It never passsed 15minutes test with prime95 .., it shutdown itself
I wonder which is accurate in BIOS? or Core temperature?

May I ask something ? :)
about Command rate 2T or 1T >> what is that ?
and CAS latency > what is this ?
Sorry ask a lot :chair:

The temp reading in bios will always be the CPU socket temp, never the processor's core temp. They will always be a little different because the sensors taking the reading are in a different place. The CPU temp is measured from the motherboard socket below the processor. The core temp is measured from within the processor itself. The core temp is usually a little lower because it is closer to the HSF, the source of heat extraction. You can safely figure that the CPU temp is about 5 degrees C higher than the core temp. A program like Speedfan or HWMonitor will give you both CPU temp and core temp.

When you run Prime95 what program are you using to monitor the temps? CoreTemp is another excellent program but it will only give you the core temp. But that's fine because that's the important one anyway. The motherboard shutdown temp is CPU temp and is only important as a gauge of what core temps probably are running since the motherboard can't directly measure core temps. So, if you're core temps are remaining in mid 50s that is the upper limit of safe.

Sounds like you might do well to give consideration to a better CPU cooler. Are you using the cooler that came with the processor or an aftermarket one?

Last edited:
The temp reading in bios will always be the CPU socket temp, never the processor's core temp. They will always be a little different because the sensors taking the reading are in a different place. The CPU temp is measured from the motherboard socket below the processor. The core temp is measured from within the processor itself. The core temp is usually a little lower because it is closer to the HSF, the source of heat extraction. You can safely figure that the CPU temp is about 5 degrees C higher than the core temp. A program like Speedfan or HWMonitor will give you both CPU temp and core temp.

When you run Prime95 what program are you using to monitor the temps? CoreTemp is another excellent program but it will only give you the core temp. But that's fine because that's the important one anyway. The motherboard shutdown temp is CPU temp and is only important as a gauge of what core temps probably are running since the motherboard can't directly measure core temps. So, if you're core temps are remaining in mid 50s that is the upper limit of safe.

Sounds like you might do well to give consideration to a better CPU cooler. Are you using the cooler that came with the processor or an aftermarket one?

Ow I see..,
Usually I use core temp

Emm..btw thanks a lot friend :thup:
you help me a lot :)

about that HSF I use stock one
yesterday I look for a new better one
but they're already sold out :(

Attachments

• New Picture (1).JPG
    New Picture (1).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 86
If Ht Link speed is at 1000 (5x multi) then it is running on the HT1 specification and not the HT3 specification. I believe that the CPU forces that unless there is an option in BIOS for that.

I'm downloading the BIOS right now to take a look. Just looked and the max in BIOS is 5X. I'm guessing that you wouldn't have any problem setting it to 5X. The board is obviously limited to HT1. A new board would get you a better OC.

Last edited:
If Ht Link speed is at 1000 (5x multi) then it is running on the HT1 specification and not the HT3 specification. I believe that the CPU forces that unless there is an option in BIOS for that.

I'm downloading the BIOS right now to take a look. Just looked and the max in BIOS is 5X. I'm guessing that you wouldn't have any problem setting it to 5X. The board is obviously limited to HT1. A new board would get you a better OC.

Hmm..
It became unstable if I set to 5x :comp:

When you set it to 5x what did it do to your NB speed? Or, was it so unstable it wouldn't let you get into Windows to check CPU-z?

You are correct. Here's a screen shot from the manual pdf doc:

Attachments

• HT.JPG
    HT.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
When you set it to 5x what did it do to your NB speed? Or, was it so unstable it wouldn't let you get into Windows to check CPU-z?

It does let me boot into OS
But at 5 x HT it's above 1000
test with prime it quickly shutdown before 30 minutes
At 4 x it's 976 test with prime it stable more than 30 minutes
I only do it for 33 minutes then stop it
I have something to do
then I'll have test it later for hours

Some say it should be between 750 ~ 1000 for best performance :chair:

Okay I'm endeed look it

Would you suggest me what cooling ( brand ) ? :rock:

What country do you live in and what are your vendor options? A lot of the products available here in the USA are not available overseas and vice versa.

Next question (and this is important); how wide is your computer case (side to side, not front to back)? This is important because some of the best coolers are pretty tall and will not fit into all cases. If it is <20 cm wide you would need to avoid the 120 mm fan tower style coolers and go down to 92 mm fan based ones.

You shouldn't run HT1 over 1100 MHz. Some boards won't even go that high without problems and a rare few will go higher but 1100 is a relatively safe number as a general rule. 244x5 would push it above 1200 - that's just reckless ...

What country do you live in and what are your vendor options? A lot of the products available here in the USA are not available overseas and vice versa.

Next question (and this is important); how wide is your computer case (side to side, not front to back)? This is important because some of the best coolers are pretty tall and will not fit into all cases. If it is <20 cm wide you would need to avoid the 120 mm fan tower style coolers and go down to 92 mm fan based ones.

I live in Indonesia
and it is below 20 cm :(
OMG I just know that would be problem :(

I kinda want that cooler :(

HT speed 976 :)

Attachments

• New Picture (3).jpg
    New Picture (3).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 81
  • New Picture (2).jpg
    New Picture (2).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 83
An intermediate and inexpensive step to take would be to switch to a better thermal paste. The stuff that comes with the stock coolers is not usually very good. Can you get Arctic Silver 5 locally? It may bring your temps down 2-4 degrees C, especially after the 200 hr. curing time.

Back