• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nehalem release moved forward

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Software will be the primary problem going forward. The reason that Nehalem is so much faster 'per clock' is mostly because of the reintroduction of hyperthreading (they're now calling it MTT or Multi-Threading Technology) allows for two threads per core.

Thus, just like the old P4HT processors, certain workloads can get a measurable bump in performance if their instructions are organized in a way that can take advantage of multiple executional units in a single core.

But that requires massively multithreaded code, and hyperthreading / MTT is still not a full processing core but instead is just a way to expose other executional units that are idle while another instruction is going through. That means that not all instruction streams can be parallelized with HT / MTT, which makes it even harder to code for.

Thus, any game / app that only takes advantage of two cores at most will likely only get ~10% performance increase. But stuff like media encoding that is highly multithreaded may see gains as much as 80% over a current quad core depending on the scenario.

Now we're just talking CPU resources here; the new Nehalem architecture also brings in some massive memory bandwidth enhancements which will help LOTS of things certainly. But again, the software is truly the place where we're furthest behind.

That was the point of the other posts. People wanted to see what AMD had to offer; to compare to the upcoming nehalem processor. I don't care if its Intel CPUs or AMD CPUs forums, we're allowed to express our opinions anywhere so long as they are relative and in good taste. Nobody insulted you, so I don't know why you're going off on everyone who mentioned AMD. Feel free to report me as well, I know I haven't said anything that goes against rules.

back to the topic of monopolization, that could very well happen. And it's bad for the consumer. I'm not saying: "hey intel... slow down", I'm saying "Hey AMD... Catch up!". They need to push each other to be both competitive in price as well as performance.

I do not recall the OP asking what AMD was offering . This is my point!:mad:

I don't remember the OP asking anything at all... :shrug:

There is no requirement or expectation that you agree with what any of us have to say, but I think there are some things that you might benefit from learning in this thread. And if you disagree? Well, that's what makes America awesome :)

But please do us a favor and stop using the word "fanboy", because there are no fanboys in this thread. And with you using it as often as you have, it almost makes you sound like the very thing you're trying to avoid. But again, you don't have to agree :)

duuude, you're drifting...

And honestly, some Chinese kid named "No Ping" who works at the factory is going to overclock it quicker and harder before any of you. So take that!

You should read the thread starters post then .
" I HOPE THIS IS TRUE" ! I said yeah me too . AND things like MMMMMMMM makes me hungry , sexy fast CPU !!

I'm relatively sure that "I hope this is true" is not a question :shrug: but no matter.

He said he hopes it's true. I and a few others like the new processor, but hope that Intel doesn't get so far forward that they turn into their lazy pre-AX2 persona again.

I'm relatively sure that "I hope this is true" is not a question :shrug: but no matter.

He said he hopes it's true. I and a few others like the new processor, but hope that Intel doesn't get so far forward that they turn into their lazy pre-AX2 persona again.

I agree , But after the Athlon episode I think Intel is going to keep things in a forward motion .

I agree , But after the Athlon episode I think Intel is going to keep things in a forward motion .

And while we all hope you're right, the reality of a publically traded company is their commitments to shareholders: stock price and dividends. ANY business that can maintain a bucketloads-of-money income without having to dump billions into R&D has no reason to dump billions into R&D.

Which is why we were talking about the ramifications of AMD getting further and further and further behind. If AMD stops competing in the PC space, then Intel can do exactly what I described -- millions and billions of income without any need to make it better.

Let's all pray that you're right :)

duuude, you're drifting...
And honestly, some Chinese kid named "No Ping" who works at the factory is going to overclock it quicker and harder before any of you. So take that!

LOL "No Ping" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And while we all hope you're right, the reality of a publically traded company is their commitments to shareholders: stock price and dividends. ANY business that can maintain a bucketloads-of-money income without having to dump billions into R&D has no reason to dump billions into R&D.

Which is why we were talking about the ramifications of AMD getting further and further and further behind. If AMD stops competing in the PC space, then Intel can do exactly what I described -- millions and billions of income without any need to make it better.

Let's all pray that you're right :)

I thought this got beaten to death like 15 posts ago :shrug: If he hasn't gotten the drift yet, then just let it be.

I thought this got beaten to death like 15 posts ago :shrug: If he hasn't gotten the drift yet, then just let it be.

I have the drift and really don't care I only care about the fact that Intel is putting out a monster of a CPU and that is going to be far better for me as a consumer than ever getting more for my money is always a good thing . You make it sound like this is a bad thing .

Can we brand Neha as Core 3 or Core III or Tres-Core?

Seems logical but I haven't read anything confirming a name yet. I asked this question around here about a month ago and nobody could give an answer so I figure either nobody knows or those with NDAs cannot say.

I'll be getting one and freezing it within a few days :beer:

which ones will the LN2 users be flocking to?? I want something uber to run 24/7 on a SS phase unit, but haven't been payin' attention to the nehalem lineup :)

just seen this generic roadmap, which doesn't have the XE models listed
1216312853CtMxA34B7j_1_2_l.png

Can we brand Neha as Core 3 or Core III or Tres-Core?

Actually, this is a very good question IMO. What are they gonna call this thing? You don't buy a Conroe from NewEgg, you buy a Core 2 Duo :D I know the CPU portion of the core is just an evolution of the Core architecture, but now we've got an IMC and will even get onboard GPU in the later iterations.

I'm betting they go with something like Core 4 just to be a bunch of punks :D

I really don't like the sound of core3. I think I found an article one time that hinted that that's what it would be called. Here's some decent info on the lineup to hit our homes first for those who havn't seen it.

8a809238-ea06-4c73-bf8a-93207b58373e.png

EDIT: I just noticed, the row they have labeled "OPI", which I think is the quickPath bandwidth, is in reverse order

Looks like the FINALLY got HT right. Only took em a billion years.

I aint changing sockets though, not until that many threads is worth it for gaming.

Back