• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nehalem release moved forward

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This thread is about Nehalem's release date.

Please try to keep it on topic.

The mention of AMD a few times isn't a thread killer, but the bickering is.

Play nice or this thread will get locked.

Thanx in advance
:)

I agree , But after the Athlon episode I think Intel is going to keep things in a forward motion .

LOL thats a good one, funniest thing I've read on here in a long time, thx trickson.

It's nice to think that Intel is your friend but seriously now lets be reasonable, they want your money and will give you only as much as they need to get it, without competition that need gets less and less.

They've pushed forward the announcment to September, with projected sale dates to be in October some time. I for one think availability will be very sparse for the first few months, think Penryn for the first months.

Unless they have a big trick up their sleeves, and they may, it seems like there wasn't a single deciding reason to push the date forward. I hope they are confidant they won't need those extra 2-3 months for production so that they still can please the demand a little.

I'll be skipping Nehalem and Westmere, I have to make my rigs last 3-4years ($$ reasons) and my rig is almost one year old. IT just got a new proc and is going to get a new video card soon.

When I get around to building my dual socket workstation, I'll be looking at the next generation Sandy Bridges.

I'll still build a single socket Nelhalem rig next year sometime. Hopefully it will be an octocore :D

Eight cores and sixteen threads.

One thing that even the old crappy Netburst HT processors could do right was folding and SETI'ing -- you could see almost 40% gains even on that shoddy old architecture... I can only imagine the PPD you'd get on one of these rigs at full tilt; it boggles the mind.

:drool:

I'm looking forward to building :D

I hope the pricing is right. $250+$350+400 would seem about right for a 2.66, X58, and 6GB of DDR3.

I wondering when X58s with NF200s will pop up, and hope they don't cost. No way that chip is worth $30 alone.

Great news, hopefully they are totally ready for this, I disliked that their tick tock was already half a year behind schedule by the time everything rolled out. Wish they could launch sandy Q3 next year.

So how long is this socket 1366 (and rumored 1066 for budget boards) supposed to last? Would be annoying to see them require yet another new socket for whatever is after Nehalem.

To sum it all up:

9 processors were gifted to the race of men by AMD. But we were all of us deceived... In secret Intel forged a processor into which they poured all of their malice, hate, and will to dominate all of the earth. One processor to... uh... go fast or something.

:D First smile of the day... This post goes great with your avatar!

Trickson, please STOP, I came here to read about Neha, not all the angst you are taking out on people over the comp.

Fud dropped some FUD today stating that the Neha Bloomfield running 2.6 will not support tri channel ram even though it's in skt 1366. I think they are confused.

Who's Trickson? And what the hell is FUD?

If AMD dies, we are going to be stuck at this level of technology for a long long time.
Intel like profit. They would be spoonfeeding us 1GHZ right now if it wasn't for AMD.
Poor AMD total sales are less than what Intel spends on just R&D. AMD is a MUCH smaller company guys, and it gave Intel a run for it's chips for years.
I worry, how much longer AMD can hold out against Intel. Believe me, Intel is not too terribly worried about AMD, despite the announcement of an early release. If Intel started cranking out $50 Core 2 Duo's it would be the end of AMD. And they can.

Eight cores and sixteen threads.

One thing that even the old crappy Netburst HT processors could do right was folding and SETI'ing -- you could see almost 40% gains even on that shoddy old architecture... I can only imagine the PPD you'd get on one of these rigs at full tilt; it boggles the mind.

:drool:

In Vantage, a 2.93Ghz Quad Core Nehalem scores 17966 (CPU score). Whereas 3 GTX280s in SLI scores 46198. The new Intel Processor family is far more efficient in terms of cost and power. The Nehalem tested wasn't even the top dog 8 Core 16 Thread range topper. Death to GPU physics I say! :beer:

Well, in fairness, comparing the Vantage numbers between CPU and GPU tests has almost zero relevance -- they measure different things in different ways. But still, comparing that CPU score to other CPU's that we can see today, it's immense.

If a 4Ghz E8400 can knock down ~5500 PPD on two cores and DDR2 memory, we're probably going to see one of the new quad Nehalems with the triple-channle DDR3 exceed the 20K PPD mark before end end of this year. And the octal core units ought to see 35K+ PPD easily.

That is insane

In Vantage, a 2.93Ghz Quad Core Nehalem scores 17966 (CPU score). Whereas 3 GTX280s in SLI scores 46198. The new Intel Processor family is far more efficient in terms of cost and power. The Nehalem tested wasn't even the top dog 8 Core 16 Thread range topper. Death to GPU physics I say! :beer:

Well, in fairness, comparing the Vantage numbers between CPU and GPU tests has almost zero relevance -- they measure different things in different ways. But still, comparing that CPU score to other CPU's that we can see today, it's immense.

If a 4Ghz E8400 can knock down ~5500 PPD on two cores and DDR2 memory, we're probably going to see one of the new quad Nehalems with the triple-channle DDR3 exceed the 20K PPD mark before end end of this year. And the octal core units ought to see 35K+ PPD easily.

That is insane

I think NN is referring to the 'CPU' test (actually a physics test) in Vantage that can be run on GPU's w/ physx drivers.

That is insane

Wait till you see what Larrabee can do :)

Ahhh, that would make sense...

As a long-time member of Beyond3D, I've been following Larrabee very closely :)

Yup I was referring to the CPU scores, with the GTX 280s using the Nvidia PhysX drivers - comparing the two scores shows how superior Intel's architecture is.

I'm really interested in Larrabee, but had difficulty finding solid information on it, isn't it supposed to be a rival to Nvidia's graphics cards and CUDA, and also be a powerhouse for real time ray-tracing?

I hope this is correct, but every time I hear about something on FUD, it is highly speculative or just false. They are like the national inquirer of computing.

Back