• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New faceplate for Saphire Nitro RX480 (OC Edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oppenheimer

I made a mistake and bent up the faceplate for my RX480 and need to purchase a new one.
I have not contacted Saphire to ask about a purchase yet as I did this last night and I am hoping there may be someone who has needed to do this in the past and can tell me the best way to get one. Is there any type of water-cooling option which would do away with the faceplate handling retention?

Side complaint: Can they make it any more difficult to release the catch for the PCIE video cards on motherboards? Jumpin hotcakes man, this is an Asus ROG Extreme Assembly and trying to get under the card to kick down the latch is completely unreasonable. The card manufacturer should make a release on the card or Asus should make some form of extension for the latch. WHY make it that difficult?

I am going to pull my mobo now and check on the standoff situation. I think they are built in the case because I recall feeling standoffs somewhere around 1/4" but I think they were painted black like the interior of the case.

This is a brand new build and a few days into burn in, no overlcoking yet, strictly burn in, I came in one day to a code which per the mobo manual is reserved and there is no description. All the internet searches point towards every component from the PSU, mobo, etc but I did find my 480 was not seated all the way and hence I removed the faceplate and bent the crap out of it rather than walking away for a while. I left it alone today to get myself in check.

The case is a RioToro CR1280.
https://www.riotoro.com/products/cr1280-prism-rgb-full-tower-case/

I would be happy to go into more details regarding the actual problem I am troubleshooting, but mainly at this time I simply need to purchase a new faceplate. I bent mine up so the card would seat properly. I hope I find an issue with the standoffs, well, I kinda hope I do to correct the issue with the faceplate not fitting unless I bent it, but then I have to worry if the bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 will still fit. Per the quoted dimensions on the case it will, but man is it tight. It also leaves a very small, small as in you can see light but that is it gap between the heatsink and top of the G.Skill TridentZ RAM. I can only use two sticks as there is no way I am getting a stick in the first slot and I bought 4 sticks of expensive RAM because the quoted dimensions of both stated they would fit, but they don't. I can live with 16GB for now as I plan to water cool this CPU in the next few months and can sell on the bequiet! DRP3. It is a fantastic cooler imo.

While this is a new account I used to be a regular contributing member here about 10 years or more ago. My email changed on my old account so I am unable to get an email reset if the account still exists, so I made a new one. I look forward to becoming involved again with this new build and moving forward as this hobby is something which will never let me go. I would like to get into benching and modding again as that was always a true motivator. I never made it to the sub zero level, but I played around with peltiers, custom CNC water blocks, etc, this was before these things were commercially available.

Thank You for your time :salute:

Last edited:
Need to see the faceplate. Maybe we can fix it if you post a few pics. Unsure if you can order a replacement unless you get lucky and purchase a dead one on flebay.

Need to see the faceplate. Maybe we can fix it if you post a few pics. Unsure if you can order a replacement unless you get lucky and purchase a dead one on flebay.

I thought I'd throw it out there, thanks for your reply.
I will get a picture up and jot down what I found when adding a standoff required per the mobo manual but not included in the case, yet the video card still hits on the hold down portion of the bracket, where it would be secured to the case.

Good news is I have been burning in the system again, but I have found issues with my build such as the mobo header for the CPU_FAN will not make a solid connection, I have tried multiple fan headers and they all work fine on CPU_OPT, it is an ROG Maximus Extreme board. I'll throw more details together soon.

1A.jpg 1B.jpg 1C.jpg

Here are three pictures showing the faceplate after my dumb self decided to bend it.
By the way, even now that I made sure the standoffs are in the right place, the video card still does not seat correctly if this faceplate is used to secure the card. It would hit before the card ever seated far enough in the mobo. I am not sure what I will do if I get a replacement faceplate.

If you remove the faceplate you can straighten it out carefully. I'm sure it's the case that is defective if the video card doesn't sit to secure it to the backplate slot. It looks like during the manufacturing of the case, they might have not measured correctly and the back PCI slot area is shorter and the video card's faceplate doesn't reach. Some unknown manufacturers are known to have this defect. Even well known brands sometimes had this happen.

Am I correct?

If you remove the faceplate you can straighten it out carefully. I'm sure it's the case that is defective if the video card doesn't sit to secure it to the backplate slot. It looks like during the manufacturing of the case, they might have not measured correctly and the back PCI slot area is shorter and the video card's faceplate doesn't reach. Some unknown manufacturers are known to have this defect. Even well known brands sometimes had this happen.

Am I correct?

I think you must be correct as I cannot determine another fault.
As it goes I cannot get the company to reply to me regarding purchasing fans from them, so I doubt I will get a response regarding an issue. Live and learn again about purchases from companies without a huge user base. It is sad because I tend to lean towards smaller companies and enjoy seeing them succeed but having worked for small companies my entire life I know it is possible to provide excellent support and still be small. It simply requires a little effort and putting on a smile.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I think now I have to determine how I am going to secure it with the faceplate left bent flat. I hate ruining the aesthetics of a new build this way even if it isn't that noticeable, I know it is that way.

Sad indeed. A shame the company doesn't respond. I've never heard of them so I cannot comment. Maybe switching cases isn't what you want to hear either.

Keep us posted on the results either way.

Back