• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard... new problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

So today I got fed up of waiting and went out and bought a new motherboard. I bought an ASUS P8Z77-V. So I swapped the motherboard. From there I go to press the start button. Nothing happens... I go just my luck. Pull open the hood and try again. The fans start to spin than stop. I don't know what the issue is, but what I do know is that there are 2 red lights that flash. the on beside the Mem-OK button, and the light beside the CPU not okay sign. The CPU is brand new, so could it be the memory? I bloody well hope it's not because I don't have **** for cash left... and can't make it back to the store for a few days... So does anyone have any idea what could be the issue, and what I can try?

Build it outside the case. Do a clean install of windows and start from scratch.

That will eliminate as many problems as possible.

When I hit the memok button nothing happens. i'll rip her down right now and see what I can do. I should add I can't even get into the bios.

Don't know if intel boards are the same but I'm assuming Asus is pretty standard. If both lights are flashing like that you need to do a hard power off with the PSU then switch it back on. The use the mem OK button and it should reset everything

Pull one stick of ram and see if it boots if it does go into bios set your timmings and dram voltage and put the other stick back in .

That's if they are seated properly in the first place and the right way round, yep a top of the box build is always a good idea. Its easy to fix any problems there and then if by chance it does not fire up he could try clearing the Cmos!! AJ. :shrug: ;)

Alright, so I got it into the BIOS ands everything was working fine on the box test. I installed everything in the case. and I keep getting this Megatrend America error. where when I try to go into the bios. To setup enter the BIOS but I can't. if I try to enter the bios it just takes me to this screen... what do I do to enter the BIOS on boot? or straight to BIOS button. I couldn't find anything in the manual.

If you are getting errors when everything is in the case, but not when bench testing, then it sounds like you have a short, or a bad ground. Check to make sure you don't have any motherboard stand-offs under the motherboard that aren't actually in use.

Then you could have a short on one of the Stand Offs or something!! If it will work on the box then set it up there with all the new drivers etc, and then look at the case and check for problems like stand offs in the wrong place etc.

Haa like minds etc SF!!

Last edited:
All the stand offs and screws are perfect. the error i'm getting is not related to shorting.
A short will not necessarily show up as a ground code.

Also, the standoffs are not the only thing that can be causing this.

If the system works outside the case, but not in the case, the evidence points to something in the case.

One of the case wires may be shorting out.
Do a visual inspection of all the case wires and case fan wires. You are looking for bare, scraped or badly kinked wires.
If there is no obvious damage to the wires, 'bump' start it with no case wires or case fan wires attached. (See below)
darren.JPG

Manual located HERE.

I also Found out whats wrong with my computer. My brother smashed the bloody hard drive. I'll be getting a new one today. Or someone's going to get it. You'd think at 14 he'd know better. So this is somewhat of a prelim to getting a hard drive... 2TB of data gone down the drain. -.-

Just how does a 14yo smash a hard disk?

Was it laying around? If so, it is your fault, not your brotherś.

And the going down the drain part is your fault too. Backup every single thing. Every. Single. Thing.

Last edited:
Weren't you having trouble getting into the BIOS?

You don't need a HDD to boot to the BIOS.

Back