• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Half Life 2 Thread (HL2 discussion here, all other threads will be closed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL, great link Gnerma. It really does seem like no one can release a game on time anymore though. Everything from UT2003, to Doom 3, and now, probably HL2. I understand these things arent exactly easy to make, but you should schedule to have some setbacks when you're doing groundbreaking stuff. A release delay with the whole 'must be online for singleplayer' thing wouldnt really be good publicity for them. But still, no matter how stupid I think all that is, you can still count on me having it at least within the 1st week of it being out, if not the day of....

Hey DaveSauce, did you ever get an e-mail back from Gabe about the single player internet issue? Or does anybody know a definitive answer as if it will be required once steam is active?

gruvin2 said:
I Emailed Valve in Ref to the release date. They said check the website /sigh.
Its all good, I'm sure it will clear up soon. I am inclined to believe that the game is still aimed at sep 30th and everything else is just noise from the net. Maybe not a release, but gold by then.. maybe??
headscratch.gif
:bang head

i think hl2 will be delayed,reasons are as follows,
do you thing ati will miss the first wave of hl2 consumers this sept???i doubt,arnt they suppose to bundle the 9800xt/9900 with hl2???but as of yet no offical word from ati on the new card yet,so will ati scrap the xt???bundle hl2 with 9800pros???or will hl2 really be delayed till november 30th???or later...

Ec]-[oMaN said:
i think hl2 will be delayed,reasons are as follows,
do you thing ati will miss the first wave of hl2 consumers this sept???i doubt,arnt they suppose to bundle the 9800xt/9900 with hl2???but as of yet no offical word from ati on the new card yet,so will ati scrap the xt???bundle hl2 with 9800pros???or will hl2 really be delayed till november 30th???or later...

well according to the inquirer.net

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11547

it pretty much says that about 2-3 weeks after the launch of half life 2 they will release the cards.

Re: Official Half Life 2 Thread (HL2 discussion here, all other threads will be closed)

Gnerma said:

• There will be CD and DVD versions of HL2.
  • The game won't require a CD/DVD in the drive if you are logged into Steam.

So you don't have to log into steam if you have the CD/DVD in the drive?

Penguin4x4 said:
So you don't have to log into steam if you have the CD/DVD in the drive?
Well, I think were into 'mandatory steam login' discussion that has been beaten around here for the last week or so. Like you and I saw it will probably be mandatory either way for a few weeks after launch. But I don't know how that'd work since its been said that Steam is a front end of sorts for HL2 (quote from Gabe N I posted on page 1).
gruvin2 said:
Does anyone know when the official release of the HL2 Benchmark is?
It WAS Sep 15th but that obviously didn't happen. Who knows now, I'd guess within the next 2 weeks.

Gnerma, you should probably include in the release date information that the Publishers of HL2 made an official statement about the delay, but valve has not commented since they made the announcement of sept 30. It will help to clear up the rumors, I think. (inspired by the recent "Half Life 2 officially delayed" thread)

DaveSauce said:
Gnerma, you should probably include in the release date information that the Publishers of HL2 made an official statement about the delay, but valve has not commented since they made the announcement of sept 30. It will help to clear up the rumors, I think. (inspired by the recent "Half Life 2 officially delayed" thread)
That "news" was posted back in july when the rumor about the delay came out.

Read that thread again. As far as everyone knows its still going for spet 30th

DaveSauce said:
Yeah the story in that thread is old news and does not really change anything. Vivendi and Valve are at odds on this, here is an interview that I have not added to the list yet that backs this up. Read the last question. If the devs and the pubs can't agree I'm not going to pick sides.

I've heard people saying how it would have to have gone gold by now for it to be done by the 30th with pressing the cd's and all. Though, people forget that it will be distributed on steam too. Perhaps on the 30th it will go live on steam as a way to get more people to sign up for the 9.99 monthly fee. That way the game can go gold on the 29th if needed and still be available on the 30th.

edit: Oh, and that is just my understanding as how steam works. I thought i heard that you can download half-life 2 through steam. Can anyone confirm this or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Flashfx2 said:
I've heard people saying how it would have to have gone gold by now for it to be done by the 30th with pressing the cd's and all. Though, people forget that it will be distributed on steam too. Perhaps on the 30th it will go live on steam as a way to get more people to sign up for the 9.99 monthly fee. That way the game can go gold on the 29th if needed and still be available on the 30th.
If thats the case ill just sign up for 1 month so I dont have to wait to get the game. then buy it in the store when its released :p

Flashfx2 said:
I've heard people saying how it would have to have gone gold by now for it to be done by the 30th with pressing the cd's and all.
Yeah I'd heard that too.. although I've also heard (not confirmed by me) that Valve has been saying "shipping date" all along, so they might be looking to finish the game by the 30th and if so we'll see it 2 weeks later.

There isnt a rule anywhere that says you have to announce the fact that your game is gold. Who knows the game could be gold already. :eek:

Back