• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Half Life 2 Thread (HL2 discussion here, all other threads will be closed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gnerma said:
There isnt a rule anywhere that says you have to announce the fact that your game is gold. Who knows the game could be gold already. :eek:
It could also be secretly hidden in a stores backroom right now and you wouldnt know it ;)

i personally agree on this, i think they will release hl2 first on steam to make more and more users subscribe to it, but hey once you have subscribed from what i think you are stuck with them as ar as i know there are three version of hl2

1. packaged with single player
2. packaged with single and multiplayer
3. available on steam via monthly subscription

i doubt it if they haven't thought like we have (i will subscribe for one month get the game and than hell with them) lol so i am sure there would be some kind of check for that as well :)

baqai said:
i personally agree on this, i think they will release hl2 first on steam to make more and more users subscribe to it, but hey once you have subscribed from what i think you are stuck with them as ar as i know there are three version of hl2

1. packaged with single player
2. packaged with single and multiplayer
3. available on steam via monthly subscription

i doubt it if they haven't thought like we have (i will subscribe for one month get the game and than hell with them) lol so i am sure there would be some kind of check for that as well :)
Yeah once you end your subscription the game doesnt work. Im sure everyone understands that. What I was saying is that im just subscribing for a month to play for a month. After a game is announced that it went gold it takes about a month to get in stores.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232451

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Good god, if I was to believe half of the crap people are saying...well then I'd only be half wrong then.

We all need to just stop stating things for fact before we confirm them. Its way, way out of hand.

ps this isn't directed @ stan (he is asking the question instead of passing this bad info on as fact), but at his friend and everyone else who hear things in a forum or from a friend, treat the information as fact and pass it along as fact.

OC Noob said:
Where do people come up with this stuff?
Our buddy stan03 just needs to turn his BS filter on :)

I find people you know to be the worst source of information possible. It's sickening when you're talking to somebody and they make up a bunch of fake facts that they 'know' to support their original statement. WHEN you know for a fact that what they are saying is totally wrong. I am not saying that is the case here, but dealing with such situations has taught me that people are often influenced by their own ego's and want to be the one teaching rather than learning. Regardless of what they know.

This reminds me of the time a guy I worked with tried to tell me "Blondie invented Rap" :rolleyes:

Gnerma said:

Our buddy stan03 just needs to turn his BS filter on :)
BSMETER.gif

:D

lol, gotta love the BS meter.

Now you have me thinking...what was it, wasn't it, Blondie was suposed to have the first rap something...what was it a video or something?

Don't get me wrong, I know shewasn't in NY slums inventing rap, but I thought I heard on MT she was credited with somwthing like the first rap video.

Don't bother answering, I'm just going to go around telling people Blondie invented rap;)

Heh In 1981 Blondie had a song/video called "Rapture" which had a rather bad nonsensical rap in the 2nd half (starting at "Fab Five Freddie..."). This was the first time many people were exposed to the style (white America, and the rest of the world). It took this and push by Aerosmith later in the decade to help rap claw its way out of the underground.

Wow I sound like a Behind the Music episode :rolleyes:

RE Half-Life 2, I'm going to work on the first post some tomorrow. Hopefully the benchmark will come out soon so we'll have something to talk (and cry) about :-/

ROFL taht rap! I just tried to read the lyrics but I couldnt take any more at about 4 lines in. It was too confusing. All those words and none of them mean anything.

Any Steam game, when played on a LAN or otherwise, requires that each individual client be able to authenticate via the Internet.

At a LAN party, this means that Internet access must be available to every machine on which Steam games are being played.

If desireable, the network administrator of such an event can limit internet access to only the TCP/IP ports which Steam needs. These are:

UDP 1200
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

At large events, it will be necessary for each attendee to let their games fully update before attending to avoid taxing the shared internet connection with too much content delivery.

Directly from valve site......Now that is BS! Internet connection for a LAN. I know they do not have one at LPNW do they Big Red. How in the .... are you supposed to play it?

I Feel nOOb asking this, but please explain how a game goes "gold" (before) its released. I know i'm confused when all i can think of is the "Platinum" edition etc...

gruvin2 said:
I Feel nOOb asking this, but please explain how a game goes "gold" (before) its released. I know i'm confused when all i can think of is the "Platinum" edition etc...

A game goes gold it means they have the retail version done.

Flashfx2 said:

What specifically are they going to fix in an upcoming patch?

The fact that the game isn't on all of our hard drives :p

But seriously, what they are talking about is that a patch will make it so you don't have to be online to play single player in a patch a week or 2 after the game is released.

Remove said:
I'll believe it when I see the exe.
This is discussed here. There is a link 2/3 of the way down the page with a quote from Gabe Newell in it.

With the way Valve talks about it, it seems they expect 30mb of game updates to download every 24 hours :rolleyes:

Gnerma said:

This is discussed here. There is a link 2/3 of the way down the page with a quote from Gabe Newell in it.

With the way Valve talks about it, it seems they expect 30mb of game updates to download every 24 hours :rolleyes:

heh, no more room for mp3s, HDFDs gonna be filled up with HL2 patches ROLF!

Back