• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock AMD Phenom X6 1090T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm back guys, sorry but work sometimes takes me a long time.

back to the facts ... from the images that you can from the attached test with prime95 was done for 2 hours and 1.5V @ 3900mhz was stable, honestly I read the whole post Dolk and I'm sure my processor in the hand of him could give results very better than in the hand to me: (

I am inexperienced, and I'm a little afraid to play with the FSB and the timing of RAM, maybe I should be content with what I got, because initially when I bought my hardware overclocking do not interest me, and I saved on the motherboard , and it shows: (

Too crazy to try to have only 100mhz more not worth it you say?

Maybe I should wait to have a bit of money and change motherboard with a more powerful ... or maybe only change processor with a FX8350 .. with little more than 100 € I could, but I do not know if it's worth it.

What do you say?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 60
That doesn't look too bad Stefano and no I wouldn't put an 8350 in that board. For the amount od OC you would need that board definately won't handle it.

Looks very good stefano. That's actually further than I expected you would get on that board. Well done.

What do you use this computer for? If it's just for gaming then I wouldn't bother replacing the board. If you were to update something I would recommend a better air cooler if your case can fit one of the larger twin tower types. like the Phanteks, Noctua or Be Quiet.

Otherwise, it's time to enjoy it!

EDIT: just noticed your RAM is still set to 1333. Try changing that back to 1600 and see if your still stable.

Last edited:
I am certain that I at least wondered about the robustness of this ASUS M5A78L LE board from the beginning. After all the 1090T does have six cores to feed even if not the power mongers the FX processors are.

I had a 955BE C2 version that for a few years was just much happier at 3.7Ghz. I bought a much more expensive CHV board and the same cpu was now just fine at 3.9Ghz. Was it worth a couple of 100 dollars for 200Mhz? I sincerely doubt it. There are some things just not worth the time, money or effort even though they are surely doable.

Dolk had a very good idea to increase the OP's cpu speed and performance maybe. His Phenom and Thuban tutorials were linked in the 2nd or 3rd post of this thread to begin with. I even tried to inject some FSB overclock to the OP's procedures and it too seems rejected as was Dolk's good idea from a slightly different angle or more robust angle.

I only know the OP was fixated on that magic 4.0Ghz plateau. I have seen my plateau's come and go. Many of them have cost me some money to reach and then once reached they did not often amount to more than a few percentage points of extra performance. Cost effective? Hardly. Would a box stock FX-8350 over a 1090T @ 3.9Ghz, show cost effectiveness on the ASUS M5A78L LE? Not hardly even if the board claimed support for the FX-8350.

And then their are awesome write-ups on how to overclock cpus. They are only good if the reader will sit down and do the procedures. Tutorials like Dolk did for most of the AMD cpus in use for the last 6 or 7 years at least, are not magic. They require that one read and do. Doing is the key. Doing is the learning. Nothing I have seen in a tutorial is overly dangerous. Most are written step by step and with warnings or cautions posted at each level. But one has to read and dig in and do the testing. No matter what cpu or board is in question.
RGone...

I changed the processor heatsink about 4 months ago, taking the CoolerMaster Hyper 412S and I'm not going to replace it soon, surely it is also the case that does not help being small, I would have gone better with a full tower but we wanted more money,

Back to us, as soon as I get home I'll try to run the memory at 1600MHz with first and check if it is stable ..

as written by Dolk, I do not doubt your experience, but I have is from 4 days that I go crazy behind the PC and would like to reach a limit

Regarding the use of the PC, it is exclusively for the game, because we do not work

thanks

I'm going to try Dolks recommendation on my 1090T and see if it improves my OC.

@ Dolk - Why do you "never trust the voltage"on the SPD?

benchmark that I can do to see the increase of the cpu?

Programs are free and reliable?

We have used Cinebench R11.5 in the cpu test mode and found it to be pretty good at showing performance increase for the cpu itself and not a test that is also influenced by the weak or powerful video card like so many tests are.

WPrime is also pretty good. All mentioned are still FREE. Just for a few that we have seen used.
RGone...

@Blaylock,
The SPD voltages are always wrong. Most of the time the voltages are to soft or to low. By soft I mean that the voltage is saturating the transistors, but not enough to fully supply the entire stick. RAM should always have more voltage given to it than needed by stated default. At least this is a rule I follow.

@stefano
You will never kill your CPU. Ever. Unless you decide to crank the voltages way past anything I've mentioned, your CPU will only die to old age. So go ahead an play around with the settings. The worst thing is that the board won't boot. You just reset and start over. Trial and error until you get it right. Bring out your inner scientist and have fun. Take your time and make sure you devote a couple hours at a time when you tinker.

So what is the max voltage for ram (rule of thumb)? My ram is heatsinked but has no active cooling aside from good case airflow.

Stefano sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. You may find this useful knowledge later on in your OC ventures.

Most ram these days can go to 1.7-1.75 and still be fine. Mostly Ha ha ha
When I'm really pushing I've had it over 1.85v and it's still ticking.

Last edited:
Back