• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock help FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaverFOX209

Hey guys. New here and to over clocking. Was wondering if you guys could help me out, I just got this FX6300 (had an FX4100 before). Essentially I dont know too much as googling leads me to confusion due to many mixed results. With my FX4100 I used my motherboards auto OC setting to Overclock it (Sabertooth 990FX) and was pretty happy with where it set me (4.1). But now the auto clock for the 6300 only goes to 3.8 and was wanting to squeeze a little more out of it. maybe the 4.1 to 4.3 range? I set the Multiplier to 20.5 which has me at 4.115.

Now im told after setting the multiplier i need to tinker with the voltage and other such things. Thats where I'm stuck. I've heard many stories of putting too much voltage and frying their CPU (something id like to avoid lol).

So my question is. What do I need to do? (If anyone is willing to help a noob)

System:
Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX6300
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler (keeps it below 40 on load currently)
8gb (2 sticks of 4) RipJaw G.Skill RAM
GTX460 v2 SC (SLI)
GTX460 v2 SC (SLI)
Corsair 750W Bronze
Windows 7 Enterprise

I see people post CPU-Z screens so I will too.

3714c761e4d6802339c26d830d788bef.png

You could probably put a couple of extra volts through it, IF you have sufficient cooling.
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't know what you're doing but if you do have good cooling and your temps aren't very high when it's clocked up to 3.8 then I'd give it a try - DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!

Please don't take my word for it - I just hope that other people see this thread dammit :)

You could probably put a couple of extra volts through it, IF you have sufficient cooling.
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't know what you're doing but if you do have good cooling and your temps aren't very high when it's clocked up to 3.8 then I'd give it a try - DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!

Please don't take my word for it - I just hope that other people see this thread dammit :)

Well the problem is, I dont know what "a few" volts are lol. Im noticing forum posts say that a hair adjustment on voltage is the difference between stable and constant BSOD

Ok, quickly. what brand model revison in your motherboard,

Overclocking.
The 6300 will do 4.6 on air anything higher needs water it gets hot.
There are two ways to over clock.

CPU multi. CPU speed is based on FSB which is normaly 200MHz. At preset with Cool and quiet on your CPU multi will vary as will teh CPU voltage thats how it keeps it cool when not under load.

4.0 = 200 X 20
4.1 = 200 X 20.5 etc

You can also up the FSB in 1 MHz steps, how far you go depend on your Motherboard and ram it also overclocks you HT and NB. Ht should ne 2600 it makes little diff 2000 or 2600. Nb is a beast in these it seems to make no deffanything above 2200 start needing volts 2400 can be difficult to get stable. now all these rely on the fsb.

NB or Ht at 2000 = 200 X 10
Mem at 1066 = 200 X 5.33 some actually just quote the memory speed for the particular FSX not the multiplier.

Now the 6300 to get above 4.5 will need at least ( my chip) 1.4375V using multi. 1.45v will go higher but chip will start getting hot.

Ok, quickly. what brand model revison in your motherboard

I do believe mines the first one, I got it the january before the one that just passed, it doesnt have R2.0 or what ever its being sold as now.

Welcome to ocf raverfox209.
please follow this link and download hardware monitor, open and expand it up and down and take a snip to let us see where you are first.

Done

666f561515356bc6df45ad55b0b62b12.png

That processor is RATED to run at 1.5v...HOWEVER I wouldnt go anywhere NEAR 1.5v without GOOD cooling!! I have a decent cooler I think was $60 H60 and I can only reach around 1.44v before my temperatures go bad I dont like to see 60c I try to stay mid 50's at max, but that's just me.

I have the same motherboard only the newer version. Its a good one you will have fun overclocking it :D

please follow this link and download prime95, it is a tool we use to test stability.
open prime95, open harware monitor, open three copys of cpu-z showing three tabs, cpu, memory and spd. run prime95 for 20 minutes and post a snip of all that.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Last edited:
what you post should resemble this.
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING ANY OF THESE SETTINGS!!!!
this is only an example.

Attachments

• EXAMPLE SNIP.JPG
    EXAMPLE SNIP.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 258
good post!
the temps we watch are cpu, this is the cpu socket temp limit will be 70c
and package temp, this is the core temp the limit will be 62c.
most of the others we will ignore for now.
your mainboard temp is a little warm, you live where it's warm?

how well do you know the bios?

good post!
the temps we watch are cpu, this is the cpu socket temp limit will be 70c
and package temp, this is the core temp the limit will be 62c.
most of the others we will ignore for now.
your mainboard temp is a little warm, you live where it's warm?

how well do you know the bios?

I live in florida and it is about 90 right now :p Im at my mothers house for a few days and she keeps it 76 in here so when i get back home It should run a tad cooler i would hope, I keep that place at 69.

I want to say Im pretty confident in my 990's BIOS. Its pretty user friendly. UEFI BIOS.

asus-bios-oc.jpg

Last edited:
FOX what is your target CPU speed, what are you looking to get out of this thing?

Like I said im running about 1.44v with my low end water cooler. I HAD the Hyper 212 EVO on there with 2 fans, but I couldnt get near the 1.44v that I have now, the cooler just simply couldnt keep the temps down. I dont recall exactly how high I got my volage on air, but Im currious to see how the V8 compares to the 212...

(If you know what your voltage is running rite now during load, then...)
Chuck the multiplier up to like 21 and leave FSB alone for now (this will put you @ about 4.2Ghz. Test to see how long P95 will run before failing a worker, but make sure to keep an eye on the temps that caddi said to watch.

Depending on how fast you fail a worker determines how much you up the Vcore. If you drop out rite away bump vcore like 2 notches and retest. If you last P95 for 20+minutes before failing then try upping vcore just 1 notch. REMEBER*** everytime your running P95 keep an eye on those 2 temps caddi was mentioning CPU Temp and CPU Package Temp.

Again, you need to come up with a realistic (given your CPU cooler) ballpark GHZ speed that you want to aim for, and the Pro's on these forums (not me) will help you fine tune it.

Overclocking can be a long grueling repetitive process, but it pays off and its fun when everthing starts working the way you want :D

Also you might want to check your LLC(Load Line Calibration) set that to Ultra High.

EDIT: Not sure which RAM you have, but it seems to be running slow from the looks of your Screenshot. Figure out the manufacture reccomend specs on your RAM and set timing/speed to that. Under the CPU-z spd tab look at JEDEC #4 and that SHOULD be close to what the manufacturer settings. If I was you I would make sure to set the RAM speed/timing and test with P95 before doing ^^ what i said ^^up there

Last edited:
get into bios advanced screen, under the advanced tab select the cpu configuration section and disable everything in that section.
like this.

Attachments

• ADVANCED TAB.jpg
    ADVANCED TAB.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
reboot into windows,
programs, control panel, set the power scheme to high performance.

Back